Rumour Which footy person is feuding with a journo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Catters 070911

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
In a week where Luke Beveridge says that a particular journo has a "dark soul" (cough Damian Barrett cough) and Brad scott giving a clip to David King as he walked past, it prompts me to ask "Which feuds have you heard existed between someone in the AFL and an AFL journo)?

Here are some I remember:-

Mark Jackson v Mike Sheahan

James Brayshaw v Caroline Wilson (I felt that this was very one-sided, and it was Caro who had the problem. JB pretty much didn't bite back, except when Caro questioned one of North's medical staff, and James flew the flag for him).

Luke Beveridge v Damian Barrett

Brad Scott v David King

Patrick Dangerfield v Kane Cornes (although, Cornes tried to stir this one up, and Danger refused to bite).

Mick Malthouse v all AFL journos.

What other feuds, past or present, have you heard about between an AFL personality and an AFL journo?

Gerard Whateley v anyone who ever thinks a Geelong player should be penalised for something they should be penalised for.
So Whateley vs BigFooty & Facebook nuffies it is

Ross Lyon is hated by just about every journalist because he seems to be affronted by the notion of questions.

I dunno, haven't coaches been required to answer questions since the 1950s? Very strange to me because if it weren't for the self-fulfilling, circle of hype that the media is part of, ol Rossco wouldn't be on his mil a year.

He always gets touchy when someone asks him a question like 'are you ever going to change your game plan?' or 'why did you lose?'

He then also gets bemused by angry journalists when he's never treated any with respect.

Very unique specimen.

Ross Lyon is hated by just about every journalist because he seems to be affronted by the notion of questions.

I dunno, haven't coaches been required to answer questions since the 1950s? Very strange to me because if it weren't for the self-fulfilling, circle of hype that the media is part of, ol Rossco wouldn't be on his mil a year.

He always gets touchy when someone asks him a question like 'are you ever going to change your game plan?' or 'why did you lose?'

He then also gets bemused by angry journalists when he's never treated any with respect.

Very unique specimen.
You're quite brilliant Shane

Pretty sure Ross Lyon refuses to appear on 360 if Gerard is on.

Pretty sure Lyon was offended by comments Whateley made when he left the Saints.
Ross comes across as fairly precious in that feud too. If I'm not mistaken, the haste is simply because Whateley attacked Lyon's integrity considering he took the Fremantle job knowing full well the move would see a fellow senior coach out of a job. A pretty valid point no matter whether you're a Whateley fan or not IMO.

Danger certainly did bite kane cornes, that's why he had a go at him last week and turned up to a presser on crutches a few years ago. I don't know why you'd deny it.

Goodes and mcchins had a pretty big feud, going from supposedly great friends to not talking for obvious reasons.

Also pretty sure aker had an ongoing feud with someone but I can't recall who

Currently Jack reiwoldt and Tom Browne had a barney this yeat because Jack called out Browne for making up s**t and reporting the results of an injury scan before it even happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have pretty much banned their players speaking to Mark Robinson. Its not a formal ban but an informal agreement made by the players.

Stems from an article Robbo wrote 2 or 3 years ago on the eve of the season about an AFL internal report about positive drug test results whereby Robbo quoted Collingwood had up to 11 players with positive drug tests but when questioned about his facts, Robbo then admitted he didnt verify his sources, and didnt know the exact number but still choose to publish the article anyway. No other AFL clubs were named in this article, which was bizarre.

And his poor tastle remarks about Alex Fasolo and his mental health issues.

Last edited:
Collingwood have pretty much banned their players speaking to Mark Robinson.

Stems from positive drug test results from 2 or 3 years ago that the AFL had internally whereby Robbo quoted Collingwood was in the top 4 of positive drug tests but when questioned about his facts, then admitted he didnt verify his sources, but still choose to publish the article anyway. No other AFL clubs were named in this article, which was bizarre.

And poor tastle remarks about Alex Fasolo and his mental health issues.
Think the Robbo ban may be over now as I'm fairly sure I can recall Adams, Sidebottom, Treloar, and Sack appearing on AFL360 in the last one or two years. Wish they had have gone on with it longer though TBH.

Ross comes across as fairly precious in that feud too. If I'm not mistaken, the haste is simply because Whateley attacked Lyon's integrity considering he took the Fremantle job knowing full well the move would see a fellow senior coach out of a job. A pretty valid point no matter whether you're a Whateley fan or not IMO.

it was more than that. Whately went harder at Ross than he did at Hird. I like Whately normally but he was out of line that night, he let the emotions get the better of him. I think he has since tried to mend the bridges but Ross being Ross he hasn't budged.

it was more than that. Whately went harder at Ross than he did at Hird. I like Whately normally but he was out of line that night, he let the emotions get the better of him. I think he has since tried to mend the bridges but Ross being Ross he hasn't budged.
Fair enough. Do you know what else was said by Gerard that Ross took exception to?

Didn't he just pretty much make out that Lyon was a **** human being?

he basically was saying that Lyon had been underhanded, had left the players totally "blindsided" which was very far from the truth (Ross met with most of the players). The situation was Ross had been negotiating with the Saints for months, they were refusing to budge on the length of the contract and money iirc. Freo got wind and snaked the Saints with a better offer.

Didn't Whateley leave ABC Grand Stand in the middle of an Ashes series to take over the morning broadcast on SEN and be the head sports honcho there?

Little bit Hypocritical I think, both seeking to secure future income, both take jobs at rival institutions and both take on roles being vacated by other people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back