Toast Welcome to Freo: Dillon O'Reilly

Remove this Banner Ad

From the guy's highlights package he seems to be a pretty good mark in the 50. I know that it'd be a long shot but what are the chances Ross throws caution to the wind and gives him a go?

From the guy's highlights package he seems to be a pretty good mark in the 50. I know that it'd be a long shot but what are the chances Ross throws caution to the wind and gives him a go?
In the next 5-8 weeks? Zero. Would probably have to see every other possible option injured.

In the last 2-3 games? Maybe 5% if he burns up the track and plays well at Peel and the season is gone for us. I'd say Dixon would get a look up forward first so would probably have to be in defense.

He just needs to work his ass off on the track to get a contract for next year. Then he can worry about getting games.

In the next 5-8 weeks? Zero. Would probably have to see every other possible option injured.

In the last 2-3 games? Maybe 5% if he burns up the track and plays well at Peel and the season is gone for us. I'd say Dixon would get a look up forward first so would probably have to be in defense.

He just needs to work his ass off on the track to get a contract for next year. Then he can worry about getting games.
Sounds about right.

Surprised Hugh dixon didn't get a debut game late last season.

He can play as tabs is on inactive list. All rookies can now play in seniors

He has played a couple of ressies games and couple of league games so far .... i’m Not holding out hopes he’ll play this year or next but will be nice to add to our KP stocks and may prove very handy pickup if he matures and devolves well
Not all rookies can play AFL automatically . Categoty B Rookies like our Jason Carter can't automatically play at AFL level till another player is put on the LTI list wich is the old rule. That rule is still applicable to Cat B Rookies.

Anyone know his height/weight ?

And has he been playing 1’s all this year at east Freo ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

O'Reilly played game 1 league for EF, injured an ankle mid game, missed the next four weeks, returned for game 5 in the league v WP and injured his shoulder mid game....missed the next game v SD and returned last weekend via the EF reserves v Perth....so coming from a fair way back match fitness wise TBH.....trialled by EF throughout the pre-season and season so far as a defender......junior footy success as a forward....can't see Freo using him up back with Pearce, Hamling, Ryan already there....so up front may be the better option.

79kg, from your link.

Pretty light for a tall. So I expect him to be unlikely to see immediate action. Which somehow makes the midseason draft a little superfluous. Not sure what other clubs did, our ex-players Sutcliffe and Deluca probably more likely drafted to play this season.

Perhaps drafted him to secure him early rather than risk it at the national draft?

Not a bad pick in the scheme of things. Low risk in more ways than one. Think he's got some good building blocks, but he'd be at least a season away from being truly AFL ready. Be a while before we know how this works out.

Over to the training watchers now to see if he's a shot to stay on the list - that's all this pick is, training fodder and a chance to get middish draft pick tucked away. Still, like the idea of an unofficial F/S with decent potential being on the list, and good for him too. Huge opportunity if he works hard.

It'll be good for peel and the development of some of our other players to have anothe kpp down there so we can setup a bit more like the firsts - plus dixon, logue, kersten and tabs are proving to be fairly injury prone atm.

Yeah, I reckon there is more chance Tabs gets a game this year then O'Reilly

Dude's fitness base would be close to Ammo's right now than AFL, not that that's his fault but he hasnt had an AFL pre-season and has been consistently injured.

Personally, I think this was always the plan and we wanted to give him a kick up the arse before picking him up.

I imagine his training regime will consist of A LOT of laps and running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effectively back fills Kerstens spot on the list when he’s moved on at the end of the season

Will have us going to the drafts for mids id expect

And what I mean by that is skinny half back flankers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Reilly played game 1 league for EF, injured an ankle mid game, missed the next four weeks, returned for game 5 in the league v WP and injured his shoulder mid game....missed the next game v SD and returned last weekend via the EF reserves v Perth....so coming from a fair way back match fitness wise TBH.....trialled by EF throughout the pre-season and season so far as a defender......junior footy success as a forward....can't see Freo using him up back with Pearce, Hamling, Ryan already there....so up front may be the better option.
I doubt he was drafted for 2019 in mind. He's a project player.

Just as a side - does this ring any alarm bells concerning Cox's rumored return to SA? Was Dillon taken as cover? Or should I remove the tin foil hat?

Just as a side - does this ring any alarm bells concerning Cox's rumored return to SA? Was Dillon taken as cover? Or should I remove the tin foil hat?

We could lose Kersten and Dixon at the end of the season, we lost Apeness just before the draft, Taberner is now losing his second year to stress fractures in his foot and we need to draft elite midfielders.

Our key back options are: Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue, Hogan, O'Reilly - two of those should play forward, one of the remaining is very inexperienced. If something should happen to Pearce or Hamling then we need another tall.

I think Dixon has more to worry about than we do about Cox. Brennan Cox is contributing at AFL level as a 20 year old key tall.

Happy with picking up Dillon.

I like a little nostalgia in my footy, he may not technically be a father/son, but I’m very happy to pick up the son of a gun.

I also like his booming kick. Make the opposition defenders nervous when they know there is a guy who can kick from outside 50. Means they need to defend a larger area.

Ok. Thought he had suspected form this year but just having injury setbacks leaves me pretty excited. Glad to now be getting a few wa boys in the gig too..

We could lose Kersten and Dixon at the end of the season, we lost Apeness just before the draft, Taberner is now losing his second year to stress fractures in his foot and we need to draft elite midfielders.

Our key back options are: Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue, Hogan, O'Reilly - two of those should play forward, one of the remaining is very inexperienced. If something should happen to Pearce or Hamling then we need another tall.

I think Dixon has more to worry about than we do about Cox. Brennan Cox is contributing at AFL level as a 20 year old key tall.

Dixon was given a one year extension earlier in the year. I think it was mainly because he became good mates with Brayshaw and Cerra haha.

More likely Kersten’s delisting

I was annoyed that we weren't able to draft him as f/s, looked like a duck, talked like a duck, waddled like a duck, therefore a duck. A reasonable person would have in this particular case overlooked the missing 2 games for eligibility given the additional stuff.

I'm glad that we've finally got our du... man 😎

Except we did it twice with his brother. Three times, no way.

Also, he'll reach J. Mcgov's ability. There, I said it.
I never saw Gov as a junior but watching Dil-O last year didn't give me Gov vibes. Obvious caveat is that he played forward but still.

Having said that, has similar traits in that he is good contested mark and excellent kick. Haven't seen him play in defense to see how well he reads it. If he is good at that then maybe you are right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back