Righting the Ship - The Next 5 Games (A.K.A When Naitanui's Willie Returns)

What position on the ladder will we be come the bye?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Sunday arvo. Dry weather. Optus stadium. Our bread and butter. Should be putting 30-40 points on the Dogs this weekend if we’re serious. I’d take 8-4 so it gives us a free swing at the Sydney game (which I expect is to lose but a win would obviously be great). The Sydney and Bombers games are big.. need to win at least one of those. Bombers one is a bit iffy, feels like it’s going to be a lot like the Port game. We tend to struggle on anything earlier than Saturdays and always struggle after the bye.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We should do the Doggies, Jetts back, Optus, good weather...
Then it's time to break another hoodoo and whack Big Buddy at the Swan Shack!?

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Well overdue for some serious flat tracking, this week's the week.
Yeah the postage stamp doesnt fill me with confidence but I reckon we are due to break that hoodoo. Last year we were trying the possession game and bomb it long to... Allir. If we adjust our plan and do what we did to the Crows last week (2nd Qtr not withstanding) with tough inside footy and smarter shorter direct entries then we are in with a good shot.

9/3

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Our Ruck combo will be interesting when NN returns, obviously NN will take number one ruck role with the aim of him building up to rucking 60-70% of the time and taking most centre bounces. But who supports him? Usually Vardy has this locked down as he's the best fwd out of the other rucks, but his marking form is terrible and can't recall the last goal he kicked. Hickey is more of a 60-70% rucking type player, he's better drifting fwd rather than playing fwd. Brooksby yet to see AFL action (with us), and feels like he's in the Hickey camp.
O.Allen has recently proved quite competent when playing the support ruck role, long levers winning taps and he's a natural fwd who can get you the 1-2 goals per game. Also, Darling has been quite good supporting in the Ruck in the fwd 50, so unless Vardy returns to form I reckon this would be the combo.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Usually Vardy has this locked down as he's the best fwd out of the other rucks, but his marking form is terrible and can't recall the last goal he kicked.
I can quite clearly- a minute and a half into the last quarter of the 2018 GF to stop the Collingwood roll.
Has done SFA in the attacking 50m arc ever since but I can live with that.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Our Ruck combo will be interesting when NN returns, obviously NN will take number one ruck role with the aim of him building up to rucking 60-70% of the time and taking most centre bounces. But who supports him? Usually Vardy has this locked down as he's the best fwd out of the other rucks, but his marking form is terrible and can't recall the last goal he kicked. Hickey is more of a 60-70% rucking type player, he's better drifting fwd rather than playing fwd. Brooksby yet to see AFL action (with us), and feels like he's in the Hickey camp.
O.Allen has recently proved quite competent when playing the support ruck role, long levers winning taps and he's a natural fwd who can get you the 1-2 goals per game. Also, Darling has been quite good supporting in the Ruck in the fwd 50, so unless Vardy returns to form I reckon this would be the combo.
Maybe switch it up and make Nic the “number 2”. Give him a large chunk of the centre bounces but play Hickey and give him 60-70% ruck time around the ground with Nic up forward/roaming around the contest being a tank and killing guys.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Yeah I’ve noticed Darling taking some forward fifty ruck duels. I think the new rule allowing ruckmen to take the ball clean out of the air has helped him. He can use his strength to push off and grab the ball and dish out a handball. Saw him do it quite well against the crows a few times
Love seeing him do that. There is no risk now.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Maybe switch it up and make Nic the “number 2”. Give him a large chunk of the centre bounces but play Hickey and give him 60-70% ruck time around the ground with Nic up forward/roaming around the contest being a tank and killing guys.
Yeah almost think they'll start this way until NN builds fitness.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

Perfect. Would like him to play out his career this way.

Even play him as a a mid or coming off the backline during centre bounces.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
we should have had a number of % boosters so far this year - none have materialised

would just be happy to win - bullies play their best against better team

in saying that - JK to kick 8

We don't flat track anymore. Sort of a good thing in terms of not making players complacent.

I think we rope a dope nowadays. Expect a close game then us surging for a 20-30 point win

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We need top 2. It's very rare for a team (WA especially) to get into the granny without top 2. Top 2 nearly guarantees granny for WA teams especially.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I can picture us winning a big away qualifying or Prelim at the G.

I reckon if we are in good form come September we'll be hard to beat with our experience and ability in tight games.

Just gotta keep ticking over the wins over the cold winter months.

Mick63

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
On paper we should flog the Swans but we just dont play well at that ground.
The SCG really is our achilles heel. We should have won there last year too.

I go to most Swans games to get my footy fix, and while they have been poo this year, they have played their last two (beat Essendon and pushed the Pies) at the SCG a LOT better. They have made both games extremely tight and gone to school on both teams.

This SHOULD be the year we get it done though. Bud was on one leg v Collingwood, no Kennedy... Darling to push up the ground to drag Aliir and his intercepting away from D50. I can't see Reid kicking another 6 goals again, but Papley has been buzzing around. Menzel kicked 5 in the NEAFL last weekend so he will most likely play against the Cats this week... Need to be mindful of his craftiness.

It will be an interesting game. There will be a lot of sore boys before the bye, let's just get it done. Oh, and it is a public holiday the day after here in Sydney so please validate my decision to stay in town for the footy or my wife will kill me.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I can picture us winning a big away qualifying or Prelim at the G.

I reckon if we are in good form come September we'll be hard to beat with our experience and ability in tight games.

Just gotta keep ticking over the wins over the cold winter months.

Ho about a big away grand final?

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
We need top 2. It's very rare for a team (WA especially) to get into the granny without top 2. Top 2 nearly guarantees granny for WA teams especially.
yeah except we are on fire in Melbourne, haven't lost there since 2017 (i think). Kardinia Park doesnt count, hopefully there are no finals played there but you never know.

Back