Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is 189cm himself, basically the same height as Crisp/Langdon/Howe/Scharenberg.

Geelong 2007-2011 played a very tall backline.

Still do. It comes down to whether they have the pace and agility to cover the smalls.

It’ll be quite awhile before we face that problem... and by then who knows who will be injured..

Yep this. It gives confidence when we have players like Shaz, IQ, and Apples at that next level pushing for senior selection.

I don't expect him to be forcing his way into the side anytime soon.

Treat any game as a bonus would be my advice as the odds appear stacked against him after 3 knee reconstructions.

Love him, but I don’t see him having an AFL career from this point onward. Anything we get is a bonus.

I remain cautiously optimistic. Wasn't a player who ever relied on pace so I think he's skilled enough to resurrect his career IF the knees now hold up.

It's more the agility and lateral movement that will hurt. Very hard to trust your knees after they snap 3 times in 4 years

Yep, agree, but he regained those aspects after the last knee so confident he'll recapture those. Doubt we'll see him at seniors until he regains confidence in the knee this time around. That might be late H&A or finals this year, or sometime next year.

I love watching this guy play, three knees is a tough one but he has a good handle on the game and hope he can extend his career. Still got 200 games in him. iMHO
From here, I think 100 games would be a great achievement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with that, it will be tough for him to get through 200.
Would need 8 more seasons of 20 games to even get to 200.

Hes on 30 games now, id be thrilled if he played another 100-150 games.

Last edited:
I reckon he might not last long at VFL, he's a bit like WHE, too good to be down there if he's fit. Don't be surprised if he's playing one's before long because he adds much needed class. Especially with Langdon out, he's better than Langdon I reckon. Going by last time he got a run at it.

Can't wait to see him running around again. Unfortunately I think I'll forever be worrying about another knee injury. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to mentally recover after all these set backs.

How long is Langdon expected to miss? I'm hoping Langdon's knee comes good by the time Shaz is seniors ready.

They’re still talking 3-4 weeks to settle it down and see how he goes from there as they have ruled out surgery.
So by then if Schareberg has had a month of footy into him already, Langdon would have missed 6-7 weeks just to the end of that time frame alone.

Every chance Scharenberg can play senior footy if his form is good enough to that point.

If training goes well tomorrow, he will make his comeback via VFL this weekend.

Build build build
Then takes the Langdon role for Toms absence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back