Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Having played against marlion I've been a big advocate of his to get drafted for around 6+ years as I was with Shane Yarran. In recent times it was Kelly, Parker and Stack, was absolutely mystified when Sydney got overlooked and was over the moon when first learning of you inviting him over to train. How you have handled him since plus giving marlion a crack has warmed my heart and I will always have a soft spot for the tigers as his overlooking was starting to stress me out. You all should be proud of where this club is at and how professionally run it is these days.

As for Marlion and what kind of player he is, as has been mentioned he is very quick and skillful, cat like agility and movement, great hands, great awareness/vision, creative, very physical and has a ridiculously high leap. He is a very versatile player and can play anywhere and I mean anywhere, has played full-time ruck so he could be your next Grigg in that regard but the thing is he has the ability and vertical leap to actually win hit outs unlike Grigg.

Like stack his issues were completely overstated, he's a good bloke/clubman and played a leadership/mentoring at South's. Way too good to play wafl as he is certainly an AFL calibre talent.

Hope it all goes well for marlion and the tigers and we see him lighting it up for a number of years to come. Can see him making other supporters microwave their membership cards, **** Geelong have already started to.

PS. As to a player comparison I'd say much like a quicker Shaun Bergoyne/Jack Martin but on crack hahaha, not for that to be taken out of context, perhaps red cordial is more suitable lmao.

Have a great day and stay blessed all ye tiger faithfulls 🙏
Cheers Marlion,Thanks for sharing your letter too Dimma.

Yes they do. The average player is on 350k. That's more than enough. Hell, the shitkickers make six figures. Plenty.

yes most players could easily afford to move interstate whenever especially with how much extra help they get on top of their wage. i feel like there wouldn't be that much interest from clubs or players in moving in the middle of the year though. top clubs might chase a good player to help win the flag but i doubt the team they're chasing them off would let the player go easily..so it wouldn't work anyway

i like the idea of a list being set at the start of the season personally. injuries or getting a trade/draft pick wrong are all part of it and i like that clubs have to live through that and work it out. i don't really want a full on mid season trade period, the draft thing was okay i guess but that's enough already

While not an aerobic beast and not someone to be winning to winning your time trials it's at a good enough level but will need some work as will all state leaguers, especially him having missed match fitness with him having missed most of this season.

The thing with Marlion is he has a high workrate and a strong will so he keeps pushing through and works himself to and from contest to contest. Having elite standards and preparation will only pay dividends and help him go to the next level.

Can't wait to see what he can produce as the talent is certainly there and the ability to play multiple roles. Very much a plug and play type of player and can go have an impact wherever you're lacking.
Thanks for taking the time to write about him.

Really looking forward to hearing how well he comes in and proves so many wrong, just like Stack. Sounds like our indigineous boys are getting on really well and pushingewach other which has been fantastic for us on the field

That’s nothing , I broke my toe once chasing my bro around the house stubbed it on chair , ****en murder , was playing tennis next day , just strapped it up no problem
I was turned into a Carlton supporter by an demented scientist and went to work the next day.

Took weeks for the effect to wear off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the double standard being published at the moment....
1) the mid season draft is killing the state leagues; and
2) for players who won’t make difference this year.

And some are accusing us of the above. What a croc!
1) I think it had been reported that we were going to take best available;
2) because he’s injured he’s considered to have been taken to avoid going into next year’s draft....Wtf?.,,
If anything because he’s injured we aren’t really “robbing” South Freo of their player (I haven’t seen anything other than joy from them to be fair). Yet we are giving a bloke the opportunity of a lifetime, despite a poorly timed injury.

I honestly think think the first 6-8 weeks at the club will be about attitude (injury or not). If Marlion takes it, as I expect he will, then who says he can’t have an impact this year. Didn’t Jack Graham break his foot in June 2017....

I said this in the draft thread last night. If he gets back in time for 1-2 weeks in the vfl he might just get an opportunity. Could be some absolute cream at the business end. Unlikely. Perhaps, but if this season has shown us anything, players get injured and new players can step up. And as Jack said tonight the state leaguers often have much more desire and value the opportunity so much more.
....Really poor comments from the media.

The media is trash

It’s white noise..pure click bait

Switch off...focus on RFC TV and life is beautiful

Pickett is an awesome pick up...for nix....and no amount of speculation or innuendo will change that

I love our footy club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back