austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Jake Carlisle needs to play a certain number of games to reach the contract clause for an automatic new deal
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-28...-the-clock-to-reach-trigger-for-2020-contract
Dumb as canine excrement article.

Can you imagine Jake Carlisle desperately trying to trigger his automatic contract extension because there's no way he'd get a better contract now, right? If we were dumb enough to let him walk, he'd find another home instantly.

Here's some more scoops for the journalists at AFL.com desperate to dig up dirt on the club:

BREAKING NEWS St Kilda assistant coach Aaron Hamill is like bald or something and probably has put on a lot of weight. Reports indicate that he is considering plugs and a diet.
BREAKING NEWS Luckless expensive St Kilda recruit Dan Hannebury incorrectly disposed of furniture in Sydney and now must pay a council fine of $200. Senior figures in the industry are said to be "disappointed" in Dan's laisser-faire approach to homewares disposal.
BREAKING NEWS St Kilda star Jade Gresham seen in this photo dropping a chewing gum wrapper on the ground. Saints GM Simon Lethlean apparently ready to renegotiate contract on reduced pay with littering clause, only months after signing previous extention.
BREAKING NEWS The grass at Moorabbin oval starting to go a little yellow near the centre circle, groundskeeper is understood to be in conversation with the Linton Street bosses regarding his duties and will accept a verbal warning.
BREAKING NEWS Doulton Langlands has a weird name and has received numerous nicknames at the club, is considering his future. Like all players. And other humans.

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Can someone outline this or post article? Can't read with the paywall :(
Great story of persistence and hard work by the big fella

St Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall opens up about his incredible journey to the AFL

Rowan Marshall deserves to live “a couple minutes away” from St Kilda headquarters at Moorabbin.

Minimal travel time to work is the 202cm rising star’s reward for a journey to the AFL which required dogged persistence and a whole lot of petrol.

Born in New Zealand, Marshall’s family moved to Queensland for his dad, Don, to play rugby.
When Don finished, due to arthritis, the Marshall clan — his mum, Jan, and two younger brothers — moved to Portland in Victoria’s southwest, settling on a 320-acre plot 10 minutes out of town.

Going from one end of Australia to the other was a big enough trip, but it was only the beginning.
Marshall, who said he was “gangly and uncoordinated” as a teenager, dreamt of playing AFL and under-18 team the North Ballarat Rebels offered him the pathway after some solid junior efforts in Portland.

5b6fc65961235a868064dc91de1bae31
Rowan Marshall is loving life since joining the Saints. Picture: AFL Photos

But the Rebels were based in Ballarat and so the journey began.
“In Year 12 it was a bit of struggle,” the 23-year-old told the Sunday Herald Sun this week after arguably the best match of his 20-game career against Collingwood.
“I’d have to leave school at lunchtime, every second week, and dad would drive me to Warrnambool, which was an hour away. Then I would get a bus to Ballarat, which was another two and a half hours away, train with the Rebels, then come back the other way, and get home about 11.30 at night.

“Dad would be waiting for me at the bus stop and drive me back to Portland. It was such a slog and I only played eight or nine games.”
Marshall had never been afraid of hard work. He’d been washing dishes at a local pub since he was 15, worked on the wharf where his father was a shift supervisor, and did “a bit” around the farm where they ran 100 head of cattle.
But thinking about what was required to make it to the AFL, for a kid who wasn’t full of confidence, almost ended the journey before it began.
98a98e11719016ca402855bf63c2f738
Rowan Marshall goes toe-to-toe with Peter Wright in the under 18 championships. Picture: Colleen Petch

“My first pre-season with the Rebels we had to drive to Hamilton, which was nearly an hour away, and I remember a stinking hot day, 40C, and I’d had enough,” he said.
“I told mum I couldn’t do it anymore, but she sat me down for half an hour, said I had everyone’s support, all of Portland. She made me believe in myself, so I stuck it out.”

When the Rebels offered Marshall a second season, as a 19-year-old, he moved to Ballarat.
He studied, worked at the club and in a laundromat, and played nearly every game.
Marshall made the Vic Country squad, played four national championship games and jumped on to the radar of AFL clubs. But he didn’t get drafted, which he said was “devastating”.
It wasn’t the end, though. All that time on the road wouldn’t be for nothing.

Marshall aligned with VFL team North Ballarat and did 6am gym sessions run by strength and conditioning coach Chris Radford, who is now at the Western Bulldogs.
But as he clicked in to his 20s there was another roadblock. North Ballarat was aligned with North Melbourne, who had a big guy named Braydon Pruess and he took Marshall’s VFL spot.
Marshall had to play with local club Sebastopol and knew he had to play well.
“Marty Busch Oval wasn’t the best, it was muddy, a bit of a slog,” Marshall said. It was upgraded after he left.

da8fa7b330f052baddb01f2fbbdabb26

“But going to the (AFL draft) combine gave me so much self-belief. I knew I had to dominate to try to get back into the VFL team. I tried to be best on ground every single week.”
Watched by Don and Jan, who kept chewing up kilometres to support their son, Marshall finally did enough.
He was taken by the Saints with their first pick in the 2016 rookie draft. It was an emotional day he, and his family, will never forget.

“Dad saw it first. He was in the lounge room, on the laptop. I was in my room on my phone because I was nervous,” Marshall said.

908690c7e61d150452af2ca8a899ae97

“I heard him yell, then refreshed my phone and saw my name. That’s the first time I have ever seen dad cry.
“I was stoked to get drafted and I was so happy for them. Mum and dad have put in so much effort over the years. They still come down pretty much every game, which is a huge commitment.
“It’s been crazy but I’m so happy.”

Great story of persistence and hard work by the big fella

That’s goosebump stuff!
What a great sacrifice from his parents and it shows what Roma is made of.
He got there the hard way - so happy it’s finally paying off for him.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Brilliant story & because of his hard work it’s great that he is being rewarded.
After reading this part of his story ....
But as he clicked in to his 20s there was another roadblock. North Ballarat was aligned with North Melbourne, who had a big guy named Braydon Pruess and he took Marshall’s VFL spot.”
I wonder how many other Rowan Marshalls are out there, reckon that is why all AFL clubs should have reserves team.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Found this report about the Saints final game at Moorabbin . Terrible reporting but great footage of the fans . The reporter claims that VFL park holds 90,000 people . Looking at the records the biggest crowd they had was just over 92000 but according to the capacity for the ground its 80000 so i wonder what the correct figure actually was . I remember being there for 60000 and i wondered where they could have fit another 20000 in that day . I think at the time the vfl were trying to scare the MCG into giving them a better deal by making it seem that they might not need the MCG anymore , but it didnt work lol.

Don’t Panic !!

My dear dad who passed away a few years later is in that footage.

I only found it last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, pretty open of him. You pity the players who suffered in silence before it was ok to "display a weakness" in this way.
18 year old boys that can be shifted across the country and away from their families, the clubs/AFl have a big responsibility to look after them and keep them safe. 18 years old you are still a kid

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
That’s goosebump stuff!
What a great sacrifice from his parents and it shows what Roma is made of.
He got there the hard way - so happy it’s finally paying off for him.
"I knew I had to dominate to try to get back into the VFL team. I tried to be best on ground every single week.”

Wise words for those who want to earn a call up to the senior team...

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
18 year old boys that can be shifted across the country and away from their families, the clubs/AFl have a big responsibility to look after them and keep them safe. 18 years old you are still a kid
and he really has come on this year , the last game he played against Kriuser who is a very good ruckman and he held his own - looks to me the guy is going to be a very good player - and he was a rookie pick , looks like they got this one right.

Anybody watch Jono Marsh on “On the Mark” the other night?
I missed it but believe it was a ripper. Kudos to him for coming out and speaking publically about his mental health issues. Sounds like he’s in a much better space now.

They also interviewed Koby Stevens after he retired.

Very good show by Sarah Jones and Neroli Meadows.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anybody watch Jono Marsh on “On the Mark” the other night?
I missed it but believe it was a ripper. Kudos to him for coming out and speaking publically about his mental health issues. Sounds like he’s in a much better space now.

They also interviewed Koby Stevens after he retired.

Very good show by Sarah Jones and Neroli Meadows.

I just read the transcript of his journey.

Firstly I congratulate him on identifying and then dealing with this horrendous issue.

It's not an easy thing to do, so well done.

Secondly it's just a timely reminder that there are so many people out there who suffer in silence, and frankly we don't know what is really going on in their life despite outward appearances.

Earlier this year I began promoting the R U OK cause, and hope others will be more mindful about the issue.

It's also a timely reminder to all of us, myself included, on here to be mindful of the comments we make about others.

Not just posters, but also everyone associated with the club.

It's probably why a few of us get upset with some of the derogatory remarks posted in this place.

Once again i include myself in that category.

Always choose love because the alternative sucks.

And if you notice anyone not being themselves, perhaps give them the benefit of the doubt and ask R U OK?

Last edited:
So true , and a lot forget they are just kids too

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Dumb as canine excrement article.

Can you imagine Jake Carlisle desperately trying to trigger his automatic contract extension because there's no way he'd get a better contract now, right? If we were dumb enough to let him walk, he'd find another home instantly.

Here's some more scoops for the journalists at AFL.com desperate to dig up dirt on the club:

BREAKING NEWS St Kilda assistant coach Aaron Hamill is like bald or something and probably has put on a lot of weight. Reports indicate that he is considering plugs and a diet.
BREAKING NEWS Luckless expensive St Kilda recruit Dan Hannebury incorrectly disposed of furniture in Sydney and now must pay a council fine of $200. Senior figures in the industry are said to be "disappointed" in Dan's laisser-faire approach to homewares disposal.
BREAKING NEWS St Kilda star Jade Gresham seen in this photo dropping a chewing gum wrapper on the ground. Saints GM Simon Lethlean apparently ready to renegotiate contract on reduced pay with littering clause, only months after signing previous extention.
BREAKING NEWS The grass at Moorabbin oval starting to go a little yellow near the centre circle, groundskeeper is understood to be in conversation with the Linton Street bosses regarding his duties and will accept a verbal warning.
BREAKING NEWS Doulton Langlands has a weird name and has received numerous nicknames at the club, is considering his future. Like all players. And other humans.

Didn't realise you are the editor of a major metropolitan newspaper, Austinnn. I'm waiting for a couple of those to appear in "Sliding Doors" or afl.com in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back