Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I played football for 3 years at primary school and I did jack **** because I had no guts to get into the contest.
I was unfit, had no run and acted like a pussy
I couldn't even kick a football with one hand.
But regardless I don't think you have to play the game to understand it, that comes down more to understanding the culture f the game.

Yeah I apologise if that came off sounding like you had to play footy to understand footy. My point was just meant to be that in my experience that’s not how you play footy.

With all due respect Janus that is rubbish. Unfortunately football isn’t played “perfectly” and never will be.

I’m feeling very strongly you didn’t play much if any footy.

Doesn’t have to be perfect. Just needs to be more about spacing between the defenders rather than worrying about what your opponent is doing.

The best teams concentrate on a system that dictates spacing relative to ball position. This extends across all sports. That’s how they determine who is in what zone. Did you use zones when you played? I know I didn’t. It was all man on man, beat your opponent stuff.

We don’t use a match up defence anymore. When Ken was asked about who was going to pick up Stephenson when we played Collingwood, he replied “If he’s playing deep, it’ll be Clurey and Lienert. If he’s further up the ground, it’ll be Houston and Byrne-Jones. And up higher, it’ll be Bonner and Burton.”

This is because the lines never change and they just move up and down the field, and whoever is closest to Stephenson is responsible for him. This is how modern AFL is played, and it’s why certain playing positions like full forward have disappeared, and why forward lines are now filled with positions like deep forward and high forward rather than half forward flank etc. Hence why the best SANFL players don’t often transition well to AFL, and why some players who people think have what it takes (John Butcher, Brett Eddy) never get a look in even though they might be kicking goals every week.

If you freeze frame any wide shot of defence as the ball is coming in, you can see the lines of players on the field and the spacing between the lines and how defences are set up. Geelong are exceptional at it - that’s why they are on top of the ladder. Of course, if you’re watching the ball/kicker you’ll never see it because it’s boring as * looking at defenders do their job in a zone based system.

Yeah but in that situation, the extended hole in the zone Garner created would've left Port vulnerable to a mark ahead of him, not an advantage to a speedster (who would've disliked Garner ready to act as safety). Garner spoiled the mark.

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
15-7......If we finish with that then fairplay to Ken & co. The entire fan base was wrong.....but living in the realm of reality, we are starting at another 10-12 win season. Which is neither a step forward, nor a step back.

No it isn't cancer, but the club and how it fares is very important to a lot of people, hence the passion on this board and elsewhere.
It looks like that but 13-9 ish is not out of the question.

Indeed people are passionate. So long as its possible to be passionate about the club and believe that sacking Ken today is wrong then its all good.

It looks like that but 13-9 ish is not out of the question.

Indeed people are passionate. So long as its possible to be passionate about the club and believe that sacking Ken today is wrong then its all good.

My personal preference is to do what we’ve done for the previous four (going on five) seasons, get to September, look back, scratch our heads and wonder how on earth we’ve got here.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can confirm this is true and the reasoning behind it is so ridiculous, it's enough to verify it was Hinkley's decision. Only an idiot like him could suggest it, and only a buffoon like Koch could have the Board approve it:

Jonas was the preferred choice. Hinkley wanted Wines to be Captain because, are you ready for it...

Wines didn't have his best year as vice-captain, so being captain will make him play better.

Truth.
Gees this just keeps getting scarier. If you are confirming this as true it needs to be true. Rumours are BS.

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
a few of us might remember a story about a club in a similar situation.

It was about 10 years ago. Long time coach, who had more success than Ken but the team is not travelling well. The club appoints a new CEO who, against a lot of public opinion, especially on BigFooty extends his contract for 2 years. 6 months later he is sacked and his contract paid out with help from the AFL. The club appoints an ex-player who at the time was an assistant at the club. As care taker he won 5 out of the remaining 7 games and was appointed full time.

Unfortunately the club was broke and unable to give him the support he needed and perhaps he was just not that good. The next 3.5 seasons were the worst the club had seen in living memory, the club needed a cash injection, was nearly relocated and came under the control of the governing body. The pitchfork wielding mob moved on from Coach 1 to Coach 2 and subsequently to Coach 3. The club is still controlled by the governing body, and with double the membership is still treading water on and off the field.

Mat, you already pointed out that we don’t elect the board or the chairman.

None of us want to weaken the club, but when the non-elected board get complacent and back ongoing stability ahead of monitoring KPIs fans give a s**t about, we only have one pressure point and that is finances.

How long did we have to stop the stupid Hinkley extension? A fortnight? At a time when the club felt financially strong and ultimately could ignore fans in favor of whatever internal bullshit was more immediate to them.

I want Port to have financial success, but when the main effect of financial success seems to be that the unelected board can ignore the fans and not focus on premierships, then that same financial success becomes poison: we truly become nothing but a cash cow.

Money and shouting are our only votes. We have to use them if we want Port to be Port.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It was about 10 years ago. Long time coach, who had more success than Ken but the team is not travelling well. The club appoints a new CEO who, against a lot of public opinion, especially on BigFooty extends his contract for 2 years. 6 months later he is sacked and his contract paid out with help from the AFL. The club appoints an ex-player who at the time was an assistant at the club. As care taker he won 5 out of the remaining 7 games and was appointed full time.

Unfortunately the club was broke and unable to give him the support he needed and perhaps he was just not that good. The next 3.5 seasons were the worst the club had seen in living memory, the club needed a cash injection, was nearly relocated and came under the control of the governing body. The pitchfork wielding mob moved on from Coach 1 to Coach 2 and subsequently to Coach 3. The club is still controlled by the governing body, and with double the membership is still treading water on and off the field.
So we should be grateful that we are a bit better but not as s**t as we were then?

That's the exact line the club puts out, whenever the fans get angry at something.

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Mat, you already pointed out that we don’t elect the board or the chairman.

None of us want to weaken the club, but when the non-elected board get complacent and back ongoing stability ahead of monitoring KPIs fans give a **** about, we only have one pressure point and that is finances.

How long did we have to stop the stupid Hinkley extension? A fortnight? At a time when the club felt financially strong and ultimately could ignore fans in favor of whatever internal ******** was more immediate to them.

I want Port to have financial success, but when the main effect of financial success seems to be that the unelected board can ignore the fans and not focus on premierships, then that same financial success becomes poison: we truly become nothing but a cash cow.

Money and shouting are our only votes. We have to use them if we want Port to be Port.
Oh we agree. I think it is the big picture.

You want to replace the board, or the CEO or the chairman? You can't. Not even indirectly.

You mad about 2 captain's? Stiff.

Wanna wear the PBs ? Too bad.

We have no say because we lost our club when we went broke, which included going cap in hand to the afl to pay out choco who we appointed 6 months earlier.

It has to be done professionally. We should have run a "tear the house down" candidate for the board.

We need to understand what we need to do to get control back of our constitution.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
So we should be grateful that we are a bit better but not as **** as we were then?

That's the exact line the club puts out, whenever the fans get angry at something.
Of course not. But can you see we are mad at the tram and club for repeating the same mistakes and we call for the same action as in 2010 ?

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Of course not. But can you see we are mad at the tram and club for repeating the same mistakes and we call for the same action as in 2010 ?

What's the alternative?

Hire new assistants? Done that.....hasn't worked so far.

Recruit more experienced players? Done that, didn't work.

Hit the drafts? Done that and doing that again....hasn't worked once now we are onto the second part of that.

What more can we give Hinkley to do his job and be successful?

Maybe just maybe the club has been taken as far as it can by Koch and Hinkley. There is no shame in that either.

We have no say because we lost our club when we went broke, which included going cap in hand to the afl to pay out choco who we appointed 6 months earlier.
We have no say because the AFL didnt back us up when the SANFL ****ed us over in 1990, and when they later agreed the SANFL were gatekeepers to our AFL entry.

We get our constitution back when the SANFL dies, and the more money we make the longer that takes.

Its not coincidental that it wasn’t until the AFL realised they could pay less for our financial *upery you mentioned by limiting SANFL influence over us a bit. By helping us get out of Footy Park.

I honestly can’t see a way through this other than to demand premiership focus and punish our unelected overlords through withdrawing financial support when they forget why they’re supposed to be there.

Ideally what we want is for the AFL to kill the SANFL, releasing us from the lamp. I am 100% on board for this, and would love thoughts on how we can make that happen.

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
We have no say because the AFL didnt back us up when the SANFL ****** us over in 1990, and when they later agreed the SANFL were gatekeepers to our AFL entry.

We get our constitution back when the SANFL dies, and the more money we make the longer that takes.

Its not coincidental that it wasn’t until the AFL realised they could pay less for our financial ****upery you mentioned by limiting SANFL influence over us a bit. By helping us get out of Footy Park.

I honestly can’t see a way through this other than to demand premiership focus and punish our unelected overlords through withdrawing financial support when they forget why they’re supposed to be there.

Ideally what we want is for the AFL to kill the SANFL, releasing us from the lamp. I am 100% on board for this, and would love thoughts on how we can make that happen.
I thought it was now just the afl ? When we left FP we got a new "arrangement " like about 8 other clubs who have all bèen bailed out by the afl at some point.

The sanfl used to appoint half our board but not anymore. They are just our part landlord.

The board appoints the board with consent from the afl. Even our votes is just a recommendation.

I think it was Sydney who actually made its way out of the arrangement and control was handed back to the members.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have no say because the AFL didnt back us up when the SANFL ****** us over in 1990, and when they later agreed the SANFL were gatekeepers to our AFL entry.

Its not coincidental that it wasn’t until the AFL realised they could pay less for our financial ****upery you mentioned by limiting SANFL influence over us a bit. By helping us get out of Footy Park.

The national second tier comp can't come soon enough.

I thought it was now just the afl ? When we left FP we got a new "arrangement " like about 8 other clubs who have all bèen bailed out by the afl at some point.
Well s**t, you’re right. I knew we barely voted for any of them and assumed nothing changed on paper. I just looked through the constitution and yeah, you’re right.

I guess we can’t even assume the AFL gives a s**t then.

Same as before, money and shouting seem like all that we have.

Edit: The constitution is locked in tight. Even if we could flip all the directors to change it, clause 7 still gives the AFL veto power. Nothing we can do.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

The sanfl used to appoint half our board but not anymore. They are just our part landlord.

The board appoints the board with consent from the afl. Even our votes is just a recommendation.

I think it was Sydney who actually made its way out of the arrangement and control was handed back to the members.

Edit: yes the swans got their club back in 2004 and now elect their board.

Wanna scream for something ? Scream for this. Might work better than not buying a hot dog.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
actually I have never said that I am. I have said repeatably that I am not. That is a reactionary view of the 95% on this thread who see someone post a contrary opinion. In this thread unless you agree that Ken should be burnt at the stake yesterday, to hell with the consequences you:

1. you are a noob
2. you are from facebook
3. you accept mediocrity
4. you are a theatre goer.
5. you are a necro account (and a noob apparently)
6. you are Ken
7. You are Ken's mum
8. inflammatory slant on Slovenia.

It is possible to hold the position that I am not satisfied with the past 4 years AND that Ken should not be sacked in round 11 2019 10 games into a new contract.

But apparently not.

I think I'll stick to posting after the watershed.

The sooner the better.

1) The CEO didn't want to extend said coach's contract, the board did that against the CEO's desires.

2) The next 2 seasons were bad, not 3.5.

3) The club was not 'nearly relocated' or anything of the sort, unless you live in Graham Cornes' head.

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
1) The CEO didn't want to extend said coach's contract, the board did that against the CEO's desires.

2) The next 2 seasons were bad, not 3.5.

3) The club was not 'nearly relocated' or anything of the sort, unless you live in Graham Cornes' head.
Sure. Maybe. But you can see the similarities.

Sliding doors. We don't pay out Williams and keep the cash. We invest it in the football program. Williams is replaced at the end of his contract. Better or worse off now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back