Prediction Changes vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd have the travel thing well sorted by now.

In regards to Hartlett going, it's due to his being in the leadership group and an impending return.

Port must have gone with Singapore Airlines. They'll get to Changi at midnight local time, sleep for 6 hours, then go on to Shanghai at 8:05 tomorrow to arrive at 1:30 pm local time.

St Kilda is going with China Eastern.

I reckon Port has worked out what I've worked out - travelling more than 8 hours on a plane sucks and is bad for your health. Break it up with a stop over and you'll get to the destination feeling refreshed.

Singapore Airlines is one of our China partners.

Singapore Airlines is one of our China partners.
Not really. They are a member of the China Power Club. Can’t get any lower rung than that.

Port must have gone with Singapore Airlines. They'll get to Changi at midnight local time, sleep for 6 hours, then go on to Shanghai at 8:05 tomorrow to arrive at 1:30 pm local time.

St Kilda is going with China Eastern.

I reckon Port has worked out what I've worked out - travelling more than 8 hours on a plane sucks and is bad for your health. Break it up with a stop over and you'll get to the destination feeling refreshed.
I suspect, as I’m the suspicious type, that this decision was driven not by any health & fitness strategy at Alberton but by the disastrous put-up-no-fight loss of Cathay Pacific as official carrier via being the China Strategy flagship.

If we still had the CX partnership, we would still be flying direct to HK then on to Shanghai.

We had better ramp up the deal, very seriously and very sharply, with Singapore Airlines ... or get in to bed with China Eastern (as foretold in the docudrama epilogue ... before the Saints do (!!!))

As the Saints are flying China Eastern, the deal may already be done. It’s an obvious move, after all.

I suspect, as I’m the suspicious type, that this decision was driven not by any health & fitness strategy at Alberton but by the disastrous put-up-no-fight loss of Cathay Pacific as official carrier via being the China Strategy flagship.

If we still had the CX partnership, we would still be flying direct to HK then on to Shanghai.

We had better ramp up the deal, very seriously and very sharply, with Singapore Airlines ... or get in to bed with China Eastern (as foretold in the docudrama epilogue ... before the Saints do (!!!))

As the Saints are flying China Eastern, the deal may already be done. It’s an obvious move, after all.

Oh for sure. But there are flights to Shanghai from Changi that leave earlier than the Singapore Airlines connection - they are going with SQ all the way. So it’s definitely sponsor driven.

Did you go to either of the two previous games in Shanghai.?

Do you have any understanding of organising a game in Shanghai? - No, but irrelevant to my comment.

Do you know why Shanghai authorities regulate the number of people attending? No. Why would we bother going there if the Shanghai authorities are going to significantly cap how many people attend the game.

How do you know it was a failure - how many Shanghai locals did you ask? - two mediocre games against very mediocre opposition, with crowds of less than 13k. Mate that's a fail.

We've been fortunate to attend both and at the same time spend time with Chinese nationals who are friends of relatives and one has lived/studied and worked in Adelaide, so we gained an understanding how 'thing's work in mainland China as opposed to Hong Kong.

Please don't be so vehmently dismissal of what Port is doing in China, even if the Club is seen to be stuffing up in Oz.

Well that's great. If your so interested in Chinese culture etc then go on a holiday there and do it. Your comment has ZERO to do with footy, which is my entire criticism of this failed venture.

There's no build up, thre's no nothing. The boys get a little mid year holiday over seas, as what reward for the rubbish they've dished up this year.

Give me a break.

Well that's great. If your so interested in Chinese culture etc then go on a holiday there and do it. Your comment has ZERO to do with footy, which is my entire criticism of this failed venture.

There's no build up, thre's no nothing. The boys get a little mid year holiday over seas, as what reward for the rubbish they've dished up this year.

Give me a break.

Many thanks for your sound recommendation we develop an interest in Chinese culture but we are way ahead of you. You see, we have been visiting Hong Kong regularly for seven years and can add two tours of mainland China, so it's most enlightening.

As for the footy aspect, there are countless posts on BF as to why Port play in China plus even more info on the PAFC website. As for the supposed lack of build up, quite to the contrary but it seems you are so intent on claiming it all a big failure, you will never be convinced otherwise.

So be it.

PS. I can assure you I am more than a tad peeved off about the poor standard of footy the players have been producing over several years but that has nothing to do with playing in Shanghai.

Interesting...
Port are travelling ADL-MEL-SIN-SHANGHAI tonight, a rather roundabout way ( must be short of cash)
whereas Saints travel via direct flight MEL- SHANGHAI on Thursday
Singapore Airlines has become our Asian airline so they would be doing the club a deal given we are sending over 100 people. They only fly out of Adelaide in the morning, so if we want players to try and sleep on an overnight flight, they have to leave via Melbourne and a midnight flight.

Qantas fly Melbourne Shanghai direct for an 11 hour flight and the Saints are flying over Thursday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

breaking up the trip is definitely better. I travel a fair bit for work and long flights are the worst for your body. Leaving earlier is definitely an advantage too.
I've recently found the opposite. I've flown to Europe many times via Singapore or Dubai. Last trip I took the direct 16-17 hour Perth to Heathrow flight and found it much better. Sample size of one so YMMV.

Someone please tell me how the * Bonner is going?

Its not as if we don't already have Broadbent, Houston, DBJ, Lienert, Garner, Burton and Hartlett already plus our star recruit Cam Sutcliffe.

Someone please tell me how the **** Bonner is going?

Its not as if we don't already have Broadbent, Houston, DBJ, Lienert, Garner, Burton and Hartlett already plus our star recruit Cam Sutcliffe.

Was ok last week compared to other games but I expect he’ll be an emergency this week.

I don't know what this means?

Basically my friend who is an influential owner is going to the game. He said the corporate box he will be in will probably full of Saint supporters.

Basically the local China businesses that were sponsoring the game via Port, were cut off this year by Port as Port chasing more profits.

Basically my friend who is an influential owner is going to the game. He said the corporate box he will be in will probably full of Saint supporters.

Basically the local China businesses that were sponsoring the game via Port, were cut off this year by Port as Port chasing more profits.
By ‘local’ you mean ... ?

Well, once a again Kornes has not pulled any punches. Kane has come out and told Hinkley not to pick an unfit Tom Jonas. Nice try Kane but it isn't going to make any difference.

“He (Hinkley) picked him on reputation rather than fitness and form.
“The only reason he has done is that he is his captain.”

If Jonas is not fit then Kane is right. However, I suspect there is about as much chance of Jonas not running out in Shanghai as there is of Hinkley doing a Brad Scott and announcing, 'this will be my last game in charge'.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/f4a23ac6e487e109187f9757a6591f13

Many thanks for your sound recommendation we develop an interest in Chinese culture but we are way ahead of you. You see, we have been visiting Hong Kong regularly for seven years and can add two tours of mainland China, so it's most enlightening.

As for the footy aspect, there are countless posts on BF as to why Port play in China plus even more info on the PAFC website. As for the supposed lack of build up, quite to the contrary but it seems you are so intent on claiming it all a big failure, you will never be convinced otherwise.

So be it.

PS. I can assure you I am more than a tad peeved off about the poor standard of footy the players have been producing over several years but that has nothing to do with playing in Shanghai.

I have no idea on the history of this discussion, but just wanted to add that visiting Hong Kong really gives you bugger all insight into Chinese culture. Hong Kong is an easy place to live and visit, China on the other hand is chaos. And Going into China on an organised tour woukd be like going into the tigers cage on an elevated structure. You get to see it all, but are very much sheltered from it.

But to be fair, I never went to shanghai in my time over there, but did spend a lot of time in China, maybe shanghai is easier due to being much more modern.

I have no idea on the history of this discussion, but just wanted to add that visiting Hong Kong really gives you bugger all insight into Chinese culture. Hong Kong is an easy place to live and visit, China on the other hand is chaos. And Going into China on an organised tour woukd be like going into the tigers cage on an elevated structure. You get to see it all, but are very much sheltered from it.

But to be fair, I never went to shanghai in my time over there, but did spend a lot of time in China, maybe shanghai is easier due to being much more modern.
[.

As you said, you have no idea on the history of this discussion. You should have left it there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back