Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

10 - Frang.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Injury Status: n/a

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 29, Mr Bultitude

Last edited by a moderator:

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not so sure the season is over but Francis gets a reprieve due to our injuries.

Looked so slow, hopefully just adjusting to the pace of AFL. Needs to release the ball faster.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
With our forward injuries right now I think we really should do this.

Not too mention Aaron's best games so far have been in defence- Franga has had a handy game or two up forward though.
Hooker-McKernan up forward isn't too bad....hopefully.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
This. Unbelievable some of the calls in here. How is he supposed to be the player ppl expect him to be when they want to drop him after one bad game.

It’s amazing to me that anybody wants the club to do anything other than just play the likes of Francis, Parish, Ridley, Redman, Langford and Laverde.

Surely - and we have 2016 as some evidence - all it can do is fast track their development.

Do people honestly think our more mature players are going to take us anywhere? How many more years of evidence do you need?

It’s amazing to me that anybody wants the club to do anything other than just play the likes of Francis, Parish, Ridley, Redman, Langford and Laverde.

Surely - and we have 2016 as some evidence - all it can do is fast track their development.

Do people honestly think our more mature players are going to take us anywhere? How many more years of evidence do you need?
bags.jpg

Who needs evidence?!

Did Dees playing Watts so early and clearly before he was ready, help his career?

I’d keep Francis in for Blues (if not wet) but he’s only played 17 games and sometimes it can also be beneficial to drop them back to find confidence, rather than keep them in when struggling and may destroy confidence. Depends on player’s personality as well.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Did Dees playing Watts so early and clearly before he was ready, help his career?

I’d keep Francis in for Blues (if not wet) but he’s only played 17 games and sometimes it can also be beneficial to drop them back to find confidence, rather than keep them in when struggling and may destroy confidence. Depends on player’s personality as well.

Watts was a 17yo kid played for marketing reasons. These guys are far more mature and can have a real impact next season, not in five years. We’ve gotta play em.

Watts was a 17yo kid played for marketing reasons. These guys are far more mature and can have a real impact next season, not in five years. We’ve gotta play em.

He’s still only 21 and just 17 games, a kid in pro sport terms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Prior to Stringer going down I was wondering why can't he play in defence with Hooker as a marking forward? However, he's not the ideal replacement as the medium forward.

His lack of form and confidence this year is really concerning when you consider how great his finish to last year was.

I hope we don't stuff up his development like we have Laverde, Langford and Stewart.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Prior to Stringer going down I was wondering why can't he play in defence with Hooker as a marking forward? However, he's not the ideal replacement as the medium forward.

His lack of form and confidence this year is really concerning when you consider how great his finish to last year was.

I hope we don't stuff up his development like we have Laverde, Langford and Stewart.

His best games last year were alongside Hurley and Hooker, he didn’t really need to be defensively accountable.

This year he’s played a more accountable role in defence (and struggled) then got dropped for Hooker, only to be brought back in as a close to last resort option up forward.

He’s excellent as a loose intercept defender given his read of the play and he can turn it in to attack reasonably well with his kicking. The defensive balance needs more time, but I don’t think too much harm will come from him playing forward for a bit while we have injuries.

If he attacks the ball like a forward while playing as a defender you have a McGovern-esque player. Just needs time.

Hey? You said before that ‘we were hardly too tall” up forward, yet they were all around Francis’ height.

We weren't too tall as a team - We had two tallish forwards who play tall in Mckernan and Francis - And Worsfold moved Ambrose forward in the second half - Richmond's tall forwards in Lynch and Balta hardly shot the lights out - You can continue to believe the media.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Think he had Grimes for most of Saturday night. If correct I imagine he’s maybe the best defender he’s come up against....combined with he conditions it’s no surprise he wasn’t great. Grimes is excellent.

Just keep playing him.
Best way to learn is to play on the best. I recall Fletcher being smashed a few times... so long as he’s putting in the required effort, play Francis.

Edit: and Lloyd was a freak!

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Said it before but he just does not have the tank needed and I am not sure he ever will.

Would have been a star in the 80's when he could have rested in the forward or backline and never have to move out of his 50.

We weren't too tall as a team - We had two tallish forwards who play tall in Mckernan and Francis - And Worsfold moved Ambrose forward in the second half - Richmond's tall forwards in Lynch and Balta hardly shot the lights out - You can continue to believe the media.

Yeah McKernan and Francis plus Laverde (191cm) and Begley (188cm) who are not much shorter than Francis.

Knox Harrington

Club Legend
May 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah McKernan and Francis plus Laverde (191cm) and Begley (188cm) who are not much shorter than Francis.
Agreed
Out problem wasnt our talls. It was that our non talls were laverde and begley who are on the comeback trail and walla who had no influence.
Walla in good nick plus fanta would have made a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back