Preview Round 11, 2019: Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans @ GMHBA Stadium, Saturday, June 1, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

which clubs youth would you rather have- players under 25 (non rookie)
*disclaimer, am a one-eyed Swans supporter.

I'd take Sydney's youth hands down at this point. I've arranged both team's players by games played below, and for me the Geelong lot is full of players who have shown "glimpses" for a 10-20 stretch of games whilst still being supported by a midfield of prime Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, and sub-prime Ablett. Lets face it, based on "glimpses" Ronke should be on his way to his first Brownlow by now.

For mine the Sydney youth has the runs on the board, and are playing a much larger role in driving the team forward than their Geelong counterparts.

Games / Age (rounded down)

SYDNEY GEELONG
Heeney (90/23) Kolojdashni (80/23)
Jones (82/24) Parfitt (43/21)
Hewett (81/23) Cockatoo (34/22)
Papley (70/22) Kelly (33/24)
Mills (65/22) Parsons (32/22)
Hayward (47/20) Henry (31/20)
Clarke (46/21) Oconnor (17/22)
Florent (42/20) Guthrie (17/20)
Aliir (38/24) Ratugolea (16/20)
Melican (27/22) Fogarty (15/20)
Ronke (23/21) Miers (10/20)
Mccartin (23/19) Atkins (9/23)
Dawson (14/22) Buzza (9/23)
Blakey (9/19) Clark (9/18)
Rose (9/23) Constable (7/20)
COR (7/23) Jones (7/20)
Rowbottom (3/18) Narkle (6/21)
Stoddart (2/19) Simpson (6/20)
Cameron (1/23) Okunbor (0/20)
Mcinnerney (1/18) Krueger (0/19)
Maibaum (0/21) Brownless (0/19)
Ling (0/20) Tarca (0/19)
Hirst (0/19) Kennerley (0/18)
Foot (0/18) Jarvis (0/18)

Because he usually hits a target. I'm sure same can be said about Lloyd if we're talking about the opposition.

Bur seriously they are similar players McVeigh has a nice baulk that opens his options but Lloyd runs harder.

I could beat McVeigh in a foot race but he's still the best decision maker in the team.

Plus we're not exactly overburdened with experience, especially up back, and there's no runner to help out. So a 300+ game premiership player who can find a target, release team-mates into space and then coach them on where to run is a good get.

Why does this board give McVeigh a pass for nothing but 25m sideways kicks, yet crucify Lloyd for doing the exact same thing? Why is it “steadying leadership” when McVeigh does it, but “sideways defensive ****” when Lloyd does it?

BS IMO

That analysis is far too simplistic.

McVeigh is a very good judge of when to "hold" with a safe lateral kick or when to go in attack mode with a low trajectory forward kick that gives the opposition virtually no chance of a spoil or mark. The important part here is that we RETAIN POSSESSION!

Lloyd, conversely, often just punts it long and high to a contest which inevitably results in a stoppage or, worse still - a turnover. In other words, he can be a momentum killer. That is before we even begin to discuss Lloyd's penchant for turnovers from kick ins which result in goals being gifted to opposing forwards right in front of the sticks.

McVeigh's decision making, kicking efficiency and execution are FAR superior to Lloyd's, as is his bodywork. Lloyd's only advantage over McVeigh is his closing speed and speed in general.

Otherwise, it is bordering on an insult to compare the two. The fact that Lloyd won a Skilton whilst we played our worst season in a decade only reinforces this view.

Thurlow been ok but nothing special so not surprised he's the one to make way for a Gold Pass holder. I like the fact COR has been retained, from memory had a really good game last year at GMHBABCD. Dawson graduates into the middle where he's been storming it the last 18 months in the NEAFL, got to get amongst it at senior level sooner or later as he's the future.

Emergencies interesting, Knoll named just for the experience of travelling with and getting to know the team, probably, so smart move, NEAFL next week. Assume Thurlow will travel as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So somehow McVeigh waltzes in with no gameplay...how lovely. If COR is dropped after last week I'll flip right out!

Being a newby to the Swans and obviously footy we’ll forgive your total lack of knowledge as to what Macca brings to the Team

I could beat McVeigh in a foot race but he's still the best decision maker in the team.

Plus we're not exactly overburdened with experience, especially up back, and there's no runner to help out. So a 300+ game premiership player who can find a target, release team-mates into space and then coach them on where to run is a good get.

No part of my post is suggesting I didn't want McVeigh in the side.

At least it wasn’t COR going out or Fox!
Fox had to stay in the team so he could take another hanger against the Cats. Purely for morale.

COR deserves his spot. Been really good and I like Fox's game. Feel bad for Thurlow though.

That analysis is far too simplistic.

McVeigh is a very good judge of when to "hold" with a safe lateral kick or when to go in attack mode with a low trajectory forward kick that gives the opposition virtually no chance of a spoil or mark. The important part here is that we RETAIN POSSESSION!

Lloyd, conversely, often just punts it long and high to a contest which inevitably results in a stoppage or, worse still - a turnover. In other words, he can be a momentum killer. That is before we even begin to discuss Lloyd's penchant for turnovers from kick ins which result in goals being gifted to opposing forwards right in front of the sticks.

McVeigh's decision making, kicking efficiency and execution are FAR superior to Lloyd's, as is his bodywork. Lloyd's only advantage over McVeigh is his closing speed and speed in general.

Otherwise, it is bordering on an insult to compare the two. The fact that Lloyd won a Skilton whilst we played our worst season in a decade only reinforces this view.

I think it's insulting to Lloyd personally, so now what?

*disclaimer, am a one-eyed Swans supporter.

I'd take Sydney's youth hands down at this point. I've arranged both team's players by games played below, and for me the Geelong lot is full of players who have shown "glimpses" for a 10-20 stretch of games whilst still being supported by a midfield of prime Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, and sub-prime Ablett. Lets face it, based on "glimpses" Ronke should be on his way to his first Brownlow by now.

For mine the Sydney youth has the runs on the board, and are playing a much larger role in driving the team forward than their Geelong counterparts.

Games / Age (rounded down)

SYDNEY GEELONG
Heeney (90/23) Kolojdashni (80/23)
Jones (82/24) Parfitt (43/21)
Hewett (81/23) Cockatoo (34/22)
Papley (70/22) Kelly (33/24)
Mills (65/22) Parsons (32/22)
Hayward (47/20) Henry (31/20)
Clarke (46/21) Oconnor (17/22)
Florent (42/20) Guthrie (17/20)
Aliir (38/24) Ratugolea (16/20)
Melican (27/22) Fogarty (15/20)
Ronke (23/21) Miers (10/20)
Mccartin (23/19) Atkins (9/23)
Dawson (14/22) Buzza (9/23)
Blakey (9/19) Clark (9/18)
Rose (9/23) Constable (7/20)
COR (7/23) Jones (7/20)
Rowbottom (3/18) Narkle (6/21)
Stoddart (2/19) Simpson (6/20)
Cameron (1/23) Okunbor (0/20)
Mcinnerney (1/18) Krueger (0/19)
Maibaum (0/21) Brownless (0/19)
Ling (0/20) Tarca (0/19)
Hirst (0/19) Kennerley (0/18)
Foot (0/18) Jarvis (0/18)

I like ours better just thought theirs was pretty good for a contending team

Looking forward to seeing Menzel!

I personally hope Thurlow is the travelling emergency. Aside from the fact he's probably a little stiff to be dropped, and I know there'd be a bit of #romance about Knoll playing, but I would rather see him playing NEAFL to get some experience off the bat, along with Rowbottom (who is leading the MVP in the reserves) and Ronke (who needs to keep getting form.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back