List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article in the age about Kyle Dunkley.

The swans went to AFL to see if they still had father son rights for this mid season draft.

They were told NO.

He is playing with Bulldogs VFL team this weekend.

Just watching Northern Knights vs Oakleigh Chargers at the moment.

Lachlan Potter is a gun. Looks like he'll be an elite player across half back.

Taking the game on with his run and carry. Looks quick out there and making good decisions.

This is exactly the type of player we need.

Just watching Northern Knights vs Oakleigh Chargers at the moment.

Lachlan Potter is a gun. Looks like he'll be an elite player across half back.

Taking the game on with his run and carry. Looks quick out there and making good decisions.

This is exactly the type of player we need.

I have no doubt he will get midfield time in the 2nd half of the year, kid is class

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/9a5204daebbac1032a00eb109205d71c

Profile on 11 youngsters vying for mid-season rookie spots - mostly kids overlooked last year and now playing as overagers in u18 comp.

Not a huge help to us, as we don't really need more kids. IMO we'd be better off picking up 1-2 high-output mature state league players, ie more along the lines of Gibbons than Cottrell.

To argue against myself though....Let's say there's a couple of kids that were overlooked in last year's draft and are killing it this year. For argument's sake, let's hypothesise that they end up being drafted at 25-40 in this year's draft. If you're in the bottom two teams mid-year, why not pick up a kid mid-year? You'd effectively be getting an extra 2nd-3rd round pick 'for free'. And better than using that 'spare' pick on the 100th best rated kid at the end of the year.

barass70 has stated that we are not taking a mature aged player.

I can't see there being much point drafting a youngster in the mid-season draft as they are probably not going to be ready to have an impact at AFL level at all this season. Players who have previously been on an AFL list & are currently playing in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL are going to be more likely to transition to AFL level in time to play some AFL football this season, if required.

SOS doesn't draft for immediate impact (or even list balance). He seems to draft for upside.

barass70 has stated that we are not taking a mature aged player.

Indeed. I think I posted my link before barass let that gem out. Or at least before I saw his post.

Either use the crows pick for

Martin
Papley
Serong

I’d be happy either way

I would use that on Josh Dunkley too. I would have said I would expect something back in return but he’s been playing really well and would be a top 3-4 mid for us and still has upside. If we pick up Kyle hopefully and decide to retain him we may be able to convince Josh to switch over.

I know we desperately need small forwards but Dunkley was a decent high forward before showing his class in the midfield. He can do both for us.

May need to find enough currency for both Dunkley and Papley.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking forward to the U18's Carnival starting on Saturday.

Not Carlton specific, but a few players that have taken my fancy so far have been:

A) Bottom aged players in the Carnival last year:

None really. Usually some underagers stand out but last year none made my notes except Mitch O'Neill from Tassie. Some murmurings that he might be a tad soft though so keen to see him this year.

B) TAC Grand Final:

Matt Rowell. Was great. Inate reader of the play.

Dylan Williams. Wow. StevieJ, DeGoey,LeCras, Gray like around goals. Extreme talent. Nice size for that type of player.

Hayden Young. Looks like an AFL ball carrier already. Nice size and mark too.

C) Australian U18 game against Casey on the MCG:

Rowell. Did it again. Obviously rises to the occasions.

Williams. Showed versatility position wise. Good that they are giving him learnings that will benefit down the track. Similar to what they did with Jaidyn Stephenson in his final year. Could/will be a star AFL forward. Goalkickers like him are rare.

Hayden Young. Ditto from the TAC Granny.

Bryan. Young ruckman who looks outstanding prospect. Know how to play football, which is the new breed of ruckman. 202cm and can really play and understand footy enough to be a contributer to play.

Rosas. Indegenous forward from the NT. Came down on his own as the sole player from the NT and far from being overawed amongst new faces, he put on a nice show at times. Looked comfortable. Looked like he likes being out there in showtime. Really liked him as someone with the AFL talent and temperament.

McAsey. CHB at 196cm. What he did was good and AFL like. Understands what he's doing and needs to do. A bit of Tommy Jonas about him. A bit of Harris Andrews.

D) Noted players who haven't/didn't impress me:

Ashe. Serong(no thanks). Flanders. Anderson is fine as a player but not the No1 type i would like.

Not Carlton specific, but a few players that have taken my fancy so far have been:

None really. Usually some underagers stand out but last year none made my notes except Mitch O'Neill from Tassie. Some murmurings that he might be a tad soft though so keen to see him this year.

B) TAC Grand Final:

Dylan Williams. Wow. StevieJ, DeGoey,LeCras, Gray like around goals. Extreme talent. Nice size for that type of player.

Williams. Showed versatility position wise. Good that they are giving him learnings that will benefit down the track. Similar to what they did with Jaidyn Stephenson in his final year. Could/will be a star AFL forward. Goalkickers like him are rare.

Bryan. Young ruckman who looks outstanding prospect. Know how to play football, which is the new breed of ruckman. 202cm and can really play and understand footy enough to be a contributer to play.

Rosas. Indegenous forward from the NT. Came down on his own as the sole player from the NT and far from being overawed amongst new faces, he put on a nice show at times. Looked comfortable. Looked like he likes being out there in showtime. Really liked him as someone with the AFL talent and temperament.

McAsey. CHB at 196cm. What he did was good and AFL like. Understands what he's doing and needs to do. A bit of Tommy Jonas about him. A bit of Harris Andrews.

Ashe. Serong(no thanks). Flanders. Anderson is fine as a player but not the No1 type i would like.
How do you feel Mitch O’Neill is going this year?

B) TAC Grand Final:

OK so we need a #1 Priority pick and adelaides first round pick to get Rowell and Williams. Got it:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the thoughts on Hayden Young’s game?
Sounds exactly like the type of player we could do with on the HBF?
A very good game by Young. He would slot in very nicely on a HBF as would his Vic Country teammate Lachie Ash. Both players use the ball well & break the lines. If we could get either one of them I would be very pleased.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back