Australia is OK

Remove this Banner Ad

You can read all about refugees here: https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...brary/pubs/BN/2012-2013/AustGovAssistRefugees

You can read all about other migrants here: https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-de...social-security-payments-residence-criteria#7

You'd have to be living under a pretty big rock to think people don't both eye off from afar then rort the safety net. The original point being people used to come here to build a life, now people come here and don't always have the same attitudes.

Hates refugees getting meagre help but taxing big companies properly is in the too hard basket. Showing your true colours again.

You'd have to be living under a pretty big rock to think people don't both eye off from afar then rort the safety net. The original point being people used to come here to build a life, now people come here and don't always have the same attitudes.
Based on...?

I loved philosophy.

At uni, I did really well and for a rare time I was almost a teacher's pet.

It was mostly an elective for arts students and I remember primadonna pretty blonde journalism students would analyse all the writings and say 'well, Kant believes...' and would recite their most base facts. That's not what it's about. Even the great thinkers would say the next great thinker was a dumb campaigner and nah, ya wrong!

I live my whole life inside my head and that's probably why I did very well in it. I remember the way I used to walk out after a really good philosophy lecture where everyone was engaged and we'd (Brett Kirk here) swap ideas and engage and excite each other. It was genuinely a fun part of my life to be surrounded by even four or five other people who just wanted to espouse all the things we had going on in our heads and tie it into the meaning of the week.

The people who'd come in with these boring pages of notes would be met with a 'yeah, yeah' and if some other girl in Birkenstocks and Nike Pros thought she was worth being seen with, she'd chime in too.

I remember me and this other dude – he had this long brown hair and looked a bit weird, would rock up to classes late and **** like a bong smoking Lockie Leonard – and we must've been about 19 or 20. We were the only dudes in the class and uni kids being as weird as they are, they'd always sit in the same spots. I remember me and him would sit next to each other and we became mates for this class and I started noticing this horseshoe effect... all the girls would sit either side of us until the other side did (the room was configured in desks in a circle – classic philosophy). Chicks dig a dude who talks his own ****. They think it's so weird and unique. It was flattering.

Anyway, I don't believe you can teach philosophy. It's like art. You're the sort of person who stares into the space and lives every day for the 30 minutes you get to play air guitar saying 'hello Radio 1 Big Weekend... what's going on tonight?' as their way of making it through. You either analyse and love the world for its highs and lows, its ying and yangs... or you just don't.

But of course the artistically minded are morons... and should have done a trade or an economics degree they never would have stuck with...

I won't even get started with the users here who love kicking their boots into me and won't even offer what their hobbies are. I am what I ******* am.
Jeez where have i seen some of this s**t before.. Oh thats right it reads just like one of those American movies where the weird guy gets the girls in the end and is able to break through a barrier into his own league of cool. Sorry buddy but i cant stand blokes like you

Jeez where have i seen some of this **** before.. Oh thats right it reads just like one of those American movies where the weird guy gets the girls in the end and is able to break through a barrier into his own league of cool. Sorry buddy but i cant stand blokes like you
I'm not very cool. I don't have a huge amount of mates. I do pretty well with girls considering I'm a short arse with no social clout. But that wasn't the point of the post.

I loved going to uni and for a few years, feeling as though what was going on inside my head was worthwhile to other people. Or at least deserved a forum. Like a proper one. Like the Greeks had. Not this. What's wrong with that? I like thoughts and movies and songs and I will never get to make much more than pocket money from it – barely a six pack here and there – so why can't I pontificate after a few beers about how fun those years were?

Let a dude have a win. I'll be a 35-year old loser with a piss addiction before you know it.

Most drunks tend to be of a philosophical mind-set....Goes with the territory I find.

My old-man was the classical 2-faced coward, Jekyll/Hyde kind of drunkard.....Good bloke to all his mates, but an absolute monster to his family.....He hated himself so much it was palpable.....And as with most alcoholics, his misogyny went all the way down to the marrow.

All I ever wanted to do as a 12 year old kid, was put a bullet through his skull & put both him & us out of our misery....The Scottish Calvinistic turn does terrible things to the human psyche.

Hope I'm not being too graphic here for some....I've dealt with all this **** long ago, so am free to speak openly & frankly about it now.....The working-class neighbourhood I grew up in was a haven for this kind of thing.....As a kid, all the adults looked stupid to me when they got drunk & as a result, I lost all respect for them....Of course now I know that they weren't adults at all, but merely over-grown co-dependent adolescents, who were trying their best to deal with their own childhood trauma as best they could.
My old man was an abusive alcoholic.

Lucky for us, my mother had the courage and nous to trick him into moving back to Sydney under the assumption we were right behind him.

Haven't seen him in 40 years.

Most drunks tend to be of a philosophical mind-set....Goes with the territory I find.

My old-man was the classical 2-faced coward, Jekyll/Hyde kind of drunkard.....Good bloke to all his mates, but an absolute monster to his family.....He hated himself so much it was palpable.....And as with most alcoholics, his misogyny went all the way down to the marrow.

All I ever wanted to do as a 12 year old kid, was put a bullet through his skull & put both him & us out of our misery....The Scottish Calvinistic turn does terrible things to the human psyche.

Hope I'm not being too graphic here for some....I've dealt with all this **** long ago, so am free to speak openly & frankly about it now.....The working-class neighbourhood I grew up in was a haven for this kind of thing.....As a kid, all the adults looked stupid to me when they got drunk & as a result, I lost all respect for them....Of course now I know that they weren't adults at all, but merely over-grown co-dependent adolescents, who were trying their best to deal with their own childhood trauma as best they could.
You go on to talk about abusive a-hole alcoholics.

Not nit picking or being a flog, just asking, but what philosophical drunks do you know? And what does that mean?

You go on to talk about abusive a-hole alcoholics.

Not nit picking or being a flog, just asking, but what philosophical drunks do you know? And what does that mean?

Perhaps I should point you in the direction of Monty Pythons Philosophers Song for starters.

You've never heard of 2 drunks solving all the problems of the world in a bar before?....That's very philosophical from an ideas perspective.

In this context it pertains to the contemplative mind-set & of how many alcoholics spend hours upon hours upon a bar-stool or at home ruminating over all their problems & therefore, by extension, the problems of the world, believing that somehow they can solve them thus.

Most philosophers, in my experience, tend to be tortured by self-doubt.....That was certainly the case With both Descartes & Nietzsche.....The questioning mind-set taken to it's enth degree & then inverted, as any philosopher worth his salt must do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jews have a disproportionate amount of power and are one of the few uncool religions to make exempt from ragging on.

The fact they all hang out together and produce together just shows how insular they are.

I don’t think it’s insidious or conspiratorial but you know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jews have a disproportionate amount of power and are one of the few uncool religions to make exempt from ragging on.

The fact they all hang out together and produce together just shows how insular they are.

I don’t think it’s insidious or conspiratorial but you know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I believe the best philosophers are marked out & distinguished by original thoughts & perspectives on things......I'm not altogether sure how ragging on the Jewish people or their religion is in any way original or helpful.....And besides.....My beef is with a particular far right-wing political movement, that I've been at pains to distinguish many times over, as fundamentally distinct from the people & the religion...A movement that has come to dominate U.S foreign policy & Israel.

I'm not very cool. I don't have a huge amount of mates. I do pretty well with girls considering I'm a short arse with no social clout. But that wasn't the point of the post.

I loved going to uni and for a few years, feeling as though what was going on inside my head was worthwhile to other people. Or at least deserved a forum. Like a proper one. Like the Greeks had. Not this. What's wrong with that? I like thoughts and movies and songs and I will never get to make much more than pocket money from it – barely a six pack here and there – so why can't I pontificate after a few beers about how fun those years were?

Let a dude have a win. I'll be a 35-year old loser with a piss addiction before you know it.
Apologies if you were offended by my post. I admire the guy who doesn't pretend he is anything he isn't, enjoys the small things and the finer details a lot of the more serious world ignores. Being average or less ambitious about what others call "success" shouldn't make you feel like a lesser person

Back on Immigration...

I know a few people who have changed their tune on the issue now that they have a family of their own they have to provide and work for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back