Status
Not open for further replies.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon Frawley will take McStay. O'Brien, Hipwood and Stratton, Cameron.

McStay plays at full-forward, and is a really dangerous mark close to goal. He is in much better form than Hipwood and I don't think we like seeing O'Brien play on a much physically stronger opponent close to goal.

Surely this week Stratton just gets Cameron. If he shuts him out it will have a massive say in the game. He is there barometer. He ignites the crowd and his teammates.

Mate.. I know TOB has improved but giving him Hipwood is footy suicide, Chip to lock down and Tim to Mcstay. This is actually the perfect game for KB to play.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dimma will get Cameron. Can't afford Stratts going to ground in contests with this bloke. Stratts can take Lewy Taylor or some shiit truck

Stratts is just a shadow, shame to see as he should be at the peak of his powers ala 2018

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mate.. I know TOB has improved but giving him Hipwood is footy suicide, Chip to lock down and Tim to Mcstay. This is actually the perfect game for KB to play.

Let's see mate. I reckon without doubt he will take Hipwood. Timmy O hasn't played full-back. Hipwood plays CHF and hits up at the ball. If O'Brien is to get beaten let it be up the ground.

Also, I like Hipwood long term, but really, he has had one good game this year. He struggles to get 10 touches most weeks and isn't a player I'm overly concerned about. If he gets a couple early, you make the move.

As for the Brand call, actually you are spot on. McStay is the exact opponent for him. That said, I'm glad O'Brien keeps his spot. Brand isn't going to crack it for mine.

Anyhow, not that it matters really, but we will find out soon enough.

Who takes Cameron?

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Yeah don't disagree, however, I reckon it's more of a confidence issue as he looks tentative and scared to fail - plays with poise and belief at BH and would love to see if this can translate to the main game with an extended run.

200cm KPD's with good pace and skill don't grow on trees - also has a bit of mongrel and flies the flag which are attributes we don"t have in abundance
Just an observation.
Brand only ever seems to lack composure when he becomes the last hawks player in the line of defence, either that be high on the ground or one out in the goal square. This is unfortunate because in my opinion when he plays with belief and confidence he could easily play as Sicily light and allow James to roam and intercept higher up the ground.
Yes he has moments of facepalm stuff but my view of Kaiden is higher than most on here, just needs to go about his game deep in defence the same way he goes about higher up the ground.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can thank BB for that... Mitch also looks like becoming (if not already) one of the better contested marks in the comp.

A bit funny about Pitto playing, adds nothing around the ground and can’t catch a cold.. basically playing with 21 players and a bloke who just contests ruck duels.

Not confident on this week but it’s a massive game, with a rubbish Essendon to come we could really set ourselves up at 7-5.

Pitto gives physicality at ground level and lays tackles on oppo mids. Not many rucks do that. A fortnight ago people were bemoaning that Soldo towelled us up in the hit outs. We cant have it all. He deserved another game after last week. I'm actually keen to see how he goes vs Martin. Who I reckon is overrated. Cegs is in good form and finding the footy. We can win this part of the game. Hoping it gives us a stoppage advantage, which they've beaten us in the last 2 games we've played.

Hardwick is also down on last year's form, so maybe it's time to bring back the mullets.

He's actually up in most key stats - including rebound 50s where he is averaging 5 a game as opposed to 2 last year, averaging one less clanger per game also. Honestly not sure where you are grasping down on form from.

Pitto gives physicality at ground level and lays tackles on oppo mids. Not many rucks do that. A fortnight ago people were bemoaning that Soldo towelled us up in the hit outs. We cant have it all. He deserved another game after last week. I'm actually keen to see how he goes vs Martin. Who I reckon is overrated. Cegs is in good form and finding the footy. We can win this part of the game. Hoping it gives us a stoppage advantage, which they've beaten us in the last 2 games we've played.
Martin is their 3rd best clearance player, having a ruck on him that can follow up with a tackle isn't a bad idea, plus its hard for their mids to run if they are all winded :)

Athletically, O'Brien is much more suitable for Hipwood.

Hipwood has actually historically given Chip a fair bit of trouble, averages 3 goals a game against us which is far and away his best return against any side.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's actually up in most key stats - including rebound 50s where he is averaging 5 a game as opposed to 2 last year, averaging one less clanger per game also. Honestly not sure where you are grasping down on form from.

He has been solid without doubt. Maybe he is being judged harshly. Personally, I haven't felt that he has impacted games that much this year. I can't really recall many games he has been named in the best this year?

As I said, he has still been solid but probably hasn't taken as big a jump forward this year, yet, as many might have expected. That said, this might come when he is released into a more attacking position in the future. He has had a fantastic education for the long term.

As for his rebound 50's, I haven't noticed them to be damaging, and our ball movement would reflect that. Impey seems one of the few that take it on from the back half, Sicily obviously cuts it open with his kicking.

Last edited:
He has been solid without doubt. Maybe he is being judged harshly. Personally, I haven't felt that he has impacted games that much this year. I can't really recall many games he has been named in the best this year?

As I said, he has still been solid but probably hasn't taken as big a jump forward this year, yet, as many might have expected. That said, this might come when he is released into a more attacking position in the future. He has had a fantastic education for the long term.

As for his rebound 50's, I haven't noticed them to be damaging, and our ball movement would reflect that. Impey seems one of the few that take it on from the back half, Sicily obviously cuts it open with his kicking.

Hardwick is at his best when he isn't being noticed for mine - particularly if you are just watching on TV. Much like Stratton when he's at his best. It means they're doing their job. Sicily is going to take cracking intercept marks which look good, but honest toiling defenders like Dimma just go about it quietly and their impact isn't going to make the highlight reels. It's like how Stratton was in cracking form last year but picking up bugger all dreamteam scores.

I imagine Hardwick wasn't getting a lot of votes last year in any of the media awards but still finished runner up at the PCM.

Strebi3

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope Jones comes in as a late change. This game has a lot of Sydney 2017 about it. We came in with a young side, Cuz, Willsmore etc and came away with a good hard fought win that started our strong run home that we unfortunately fell a win short. A win here will give us momentum heading into the Essendon and Sydney games which we could be 8-5 and finals bound. Lose and it'll be a hard second half of the year.

I hope Jones comes in as a late change. This game has a lot of Sydney 2017 about it. We came in with a young side, Cuz, Willsmore etc and came away with a good hard fought win that started our strong run home that we unfortunately fell a win short. A win here will give us momentum heading into the Essendon and Sydney games which we could be 8-5 and finals bound. Lose and it'll be a hard second half of the year.

1559272016866.png

Bedi

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very good player, and playing his role, but more blue-collar this year. Not really interested in stats, I only go upon what I see. I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if he was coming 2nd in our B&F to date.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Dimma was barely mentioned in the best last year either. As Ned said, his role is not conducive to playing highlight reel footy that gets you named in the ‘best’ each week.

I guarantee you that Clarko and the coaches are very pleased with his season so far. Nobody tipped him to finish remotely close to where he did in the PCM last year and likely everyone will underrate him this year too. He really is a player that stands out way more when you are at the ground. Some of his play out of the backline has been fantastic this year too, he and Impey have been quite a damaging pair in a lot of games. How many times have you said “Nooooo Dimma!” this year? I’m guessing none, which speaks volumes of how well he is travelling.

From what I’ve watched he has improved again this year, which is quite remarkable considering he already finished second in the PCM as a back pocket, not a whole lot of scope for improvement!

I can’t wait until we find another back pocket and can give him a more starring role, he is a gun.

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Athletically, O'Brien is much more suitable for Hipwood.

Hipwood has actually historically given Chip a fair bit of trouble, averages 3 goals a game against us which is far and away his best return against any side.
Chip didn't play last year at the Gabba though when Hipwood spanked us with 4 goals. I assume Brand had the match up that day

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only thing that worries me with our lineup this wk is make no mistake j.gunston kicked 6 last wk he was left at f.f and the forward 50 was his.
He won't get the same space this week will be interesting to see how it works with two rucks and lewis in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back