Prediction Changes vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

First time I've been able to visit this sub-forum all week and I still feel a little ill in the stomach. The fact that we have West Coast away is perfect because I go into the game without any expectations or hopes (and our players probably will too - which is when they play better).

Bevo's week to experiment a little and I think he's doing exactly that. Throw Gardner into the wolves let's see if he's up to it. Gowers gets a chance at redemption, very much a confidence player I reckon.

West Coast by 26 points.

That VFL player has a year over him and a year longer in a AFL system trained under a better assistant coach in Scarlett.
Have nothing against Gardner getting a game...it's a great story and good on him.....my confusion with Lewis Young is after his first year the club hand him the coveted No 2 jumper....clearly they rate him....OK then he has a bit of the second year blues and he still requires some development....then this year he gets 2 games and is dropped......meanwhile there are a few players getting consecutive games even though they are not playing well.....then he is named emergency 3-4 weeks in a row....finally Round 10 there are 4 changes and he is not one of them....now this week there are 7 changes named and he again is not one of them.....a bit confusing especially when you consider height is an area we are short in.....

Gowers in is no surprise with the Wallis injury. I’m a pretty harsh critic of Gowers, but think I need to get used to him being in the team for the long term. The coach loves him, he seems really popular amongst the playing group and seems a good clubman, but I just don’t see the appeal. I love his aggression and enthusiasm, but he makes some seriously dumb decisions and butchers the ball in every game he plays in.
Funny how some guys appear to get an armchair ride, faults are overlooked and continually get games, yet others such as Roberts, Lewis Young, Bailey Williams, Schache, Lipinski, Webb (prior to injury) are dropped as soon as they play a poor game.

I think that with gardiner in, for team balance, lewy young can't come in. Also, i reckon the view right now is that lewy young is not as good a chf/chb/fb as what gardiner is. If trengove was injured and a 2nd ruck is needed to be picked or English is injured, then young probably gets picked over gardiner.

From the team sheet, plan A is english in ruck, trengove at fb and gardiner at chf.

If english is getting toweled up, plan b is he moves to ff, trengove to ruck and gardiner to fb.

As for gowers, he does so much off the ball work for his teammates, that the match committee will give him evetty opportunity, even if he doesn't kick goals himself.

I hope schache gets a run, haven't seen him, naughton and gowers play together in the forward line. Interesting viewing.

Have nothing against Gardner getting a game...it's a great story and good on him.....my confusion with Lewis Young is after his first year the club hand him the coveted No 2 jumper....clearly they rate him....OK then he has a bit of the second year blues and he still requires some development....then this year he gets 2 games and is dropped......meanwhile there are a few players getting consecutive games even though they are not playing well.....then he is named emergency 3-4 weeks in a row....finally Round 10 there are 4 changes and he is not one of them....now this week there are 7 changes named and he again is not one of them.....a bit confusing especially when you consider height is an area we are short in.....

What it is all about ist that it is the dangers of love.

Nothing wrong with easing the leakage and forcing them to go around the cape plus English needs to kick goals
as he is a liability against the good rucks at this stage of his development. Gardner, English and Schache the new
triangle of terror, get the pieces on the chess board and then you can move them around.
Pretty tall forward line if you have all three out on the park. If it works would mean the eagles defenders end up being more accountable, and could slow there ball movement.

Even if Gowers didn't blow us away in the VFL, not having that extra target really did hurt last week. I see him as the Robin to Naughton's Batman, where he may not the the greatest or flashiest player, but Naughton really does struggle without Gowers' presence. Would do good for the team structure having him back in, especially since Wallis is out. We'd be stuffed for forward targets if all we had was Naughton and a debuting Gardner
Also bringing in Gardener pushes Billy back too the Third tall forward for which he is much better suited to than being the second banana in the forward line.
He should have and easier time of it and be more able to get involved.
Would like a better conversion rate if he does get more opportunity which I suspect he will

Gardner named at CHF is a good move. Lewie Young doesn't play there so it makes sense that he hasn't been selected.

Does this add fuel to the "Footscray pushed Gardner back to hide him" theory? We saw him as a competent forward the whole time?

Gardner named at CHF is a good move. Lewie Young doesn't play there so it makes sense that he hasn't been selected.

Does this add fuel to the "Footscray pushed Gardner back to hide him" theory? We saw him as a competent forward the whole time?
You could name him anywhere, doesn't mean he starts there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope schache gets a run, haven't seen him, naughton and gowers play together in the forward line. Interesting viewing.
... first four rounds of this season?

Worked well in round 2, Schache was terrible in rounds 2 & 3 and had to be dropped.

Why is Gowers held to such a different standard to Schache? I thought Gowers was terrible from JLT through to Round 9 but only gets dropped for 1 week

Because Gowers is hard at the footy and competes in the air. Yes not all the time does it come off but Schache picks and chooses when he wants to attack the footy and it doesn’t occur enough. That’s my 2c.

Not sure if this has been raised before but I just noticed West Coast have a Bailey Williams on their list, shame he's not playing

Why is Gowers held to such a different standard to Schache? I thought Gowers was terrible from JLT through to Round 9 but only gets dropped for 1 week
Have a watch of this week's game (assuming Gowers is playing). One thing I've started to notice is that just about every single time the ball is on our forward flank, Gowers presents with a lead. Regardless of how many touches he's getting, he is always presenting an option and drawing defenders away from Naughton. He could honestly end up with 0 touches in a game and still have impact. Granted, his form did drop off a lot in the last couple of weeks before being dropped, but early in the season I think he was getting way too much criticism from stat-watchers who don't actually get to see the impact he has off the ball

Have a watch of this week's game (assuming Gowers is playing). One thing I've started to notice is that just about every single time the ball is on our forward flank, Gowers presents with a lead. Regardless of how many touches he's getting, he is always presenting an option and drawing defenders away from Naughton. He could honestly end up with 0 touches in a game and still have impact. Granted, his form did drop off a lot in the last couple of weeks before being dropped, but early in the season I think he was getting way too much criticism from stat-watchers who don't actually get to see the impact he has off the ball
I'm not a stat-watcher at all. What i don't like about his play this year is:
- lack of any sort of forward pressure
- a nasty habit of trying to get goals out the back rather than compete (was probably worse at this earlier in the year)
- terrible skills / finishing

I'm not a stat-watcher at all. What i don't like about his play this year is:
- lack of any sort of forward pressure
- a nasty habit of trying to get goals out the back rather than compete (was probably worse at this earlier in the year)
- terrible skills / finishing
All fair critiques of his season so far. I'm just saying that the role he's playing often goes unnoticed/underappreciated. His dropping was justified, but I wouldn't say he's been poor all year. In fact, during the first 6 weeks or so he was actually very important to the function of our forward group. Having him back as a "3rd tall" will be good I think, and we will hopefully see Naughton return to form in the next two weeks. Doubt it happens this week though thanks to McGovern and co

Remove this Banner Ad

Back