Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Quick update on this from the last few pages:

We are working closely now with local council to get the final stages of the earthworks approved, they were already drawn up, both sides were just waiting for funding to be confirmed before getting into the nitty gritty of the details. We expect a mid-year kick off for those earthworks.

There will be an indoor facility but not a full field-size. You can see it in the renderings, it's the rounded square at the bottom right. The plan for that area now is that fans/people walking past will be able to look in, but we'll see what happens in the final product!
[IMG='width:793px;']https://thereservespringfield.com.au/img/hero.jpg[/IMG]

The top oval in this image will be the community field and backup field for us, it will also have a gym and some office space over there as per the design, and additional car parking.

Looks fantastic. We live in the western suburbs and can’t wait to have this great facilty on our doorstep both for the Lions and community groups and clubs. Hopefully some youth footy gets to be played there as well.

Have attached the main document of the application. If you read it you'll see the stadium precinct forms part of a larger town planning instrument.

Some interesting points:

• The submission allows for our field to be expanded to potentially house 30,000.
  • The second field is the minimum outcome. The space could also house a rugby/soccer team and also has to potential to be expanded to house 30,000.
  • Both stadia could host other activities such as concerts, festivals etc.
  • Eden Station Drive would be renamed Brisbane Lions Boulevard. The address would be number 1996 - nice touch.
  • A 1000 car multi-level car park will be built nearby to replace the existing railway station car park that football patrons could use.
  • No gaming or gambling can take place within the precinct
  • The adjacent Mountain Creek will be realigned, presumably partially to help reduce any flooding (although given how close the site is to the watershed, the risk of flooding would be fairly minimal).

Attachments

• A5378178.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 256
The space could also house a rugby/soccer team

Why on earth would we introduce competing football leagues to our precinct? If anything, an AFLQ team should be on that second field.

Why on earth would we introduce competing football leagues to our precinct? If anything, an AFLQ team should be on that second field.

Guessing our lease covers the southern land area only. We would have the ability to use the second field, but it is ostensibly a community space in the same way any other training venue is. If Ipswich CC are able to attract a franchise or club to play games there then that eventuality has been planned for from their POV. The only legitimate possibilities in that space for the moment are a second NRL team (Ipswich or Brisbane Bombers) or if the Brisbane Roar need to move away from Lang Park.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just listened to Jake Anson on the Roar Deal Podcast and this facility sounds like it's going to be absolutely amazing. I met Jake at a fan forum last year(or it could have been 2017:huh:) and he is an impressive individual. He also briefly mentioned the cross river rail and how it will affect the Gabba, sounds great as well.

As Molly would say- Do yourself a favor and have a listen.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Guessing our lease covers the southern land area only. We would have the ability to use the second field, but it is ostensibly a community space in the same way any other training venue is. If Ipswich CC are able to attract a franchise or club to play games there then that eventuality has been planned for from their POV. The only legitimate possibilities in that space for the moment are a second NRL team (Ipswich or Brisbane Bombers) or if the Brisbane Roar need to move away from Lang Park.

As jason pm mentioned the roar deal discussed Springfield this week - apparently the north land area will be developed into a community oval. Well worth a listen to get the full detail.

Hey Lions_Insider it's been pretty quiet on this front for a couple of months now, any updates on schedules/plans/completion dates for this build?
Had a couple of hours spare the other day, so thought I would take a drive out that way.
Other than a surveyor on the bottom corner of Eden Station Rd which could have been for anything, there were no signs of any action at all.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey Lions_Insider it's been pretty quiet on this front for a couple of months now, any updates on schedules/plans/completion dates for this build?
We're expecting earthworks to kick off in September.

From getting government funding to earthworks kicking off there is a mountain of paperwork that needs to be ticked off first.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
From getting government funding to earthworks kicking off there is a mountain of paperwork that needs to be ticked off first.
A normal house build requires a mountain of paperwork, I'd imagine it would be a few Everest's on top of each other size mountain for something like this :)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

IIRC I was sure I heard Greg Swan?? say that we were working on having everything paperwork wise ready to go so that once the funding was approved we could get started very quickly. Wasn't there even talk of starting what we were able to straight away and worrying about the rest as it came up?

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IIRC I was sure I heard Greg Swan?? say that we were working on having everything paperwork wise ready to go so that once the funding was approved we could get started very quickly. Wasn't there even talk of starting what we were able to straight away and worrying about the rest as it came up?

Working on it would be the key phrase. If you've ever dealt with a local council to, say, add a porch to your home, times that x1000. We're all on track though.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Working on it would be the key phrase. If you've ever dealt with a local council to, say, add a porch to your home, times that x1000. We're all on track though.

I have some insight to ICC machinations.

All is on track. Once underway things will happen quite rapidly.

Fear not.

Straight away in projects of this size especially in dealing with multiple level of governments is anywhere under 12 months from my experience. Stuff can sit on ministers desks for months awaiting a signature when everything else is done. It's annoying but it's reality

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
859D2148-C1B7-4A76-B33D-692650B8787E.png

Back