Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the PB's are approved, would people prefer the variation with more white or less? I quite like the darker version Port were wearing in the SANFL a couple years ago, but the lighter variation is probably more traditional. Doesn't quite look the same without the number panel.
View attachment 677996

We did wear a predominantly black one that did have stripes on the back too a few years ago for heritage round, it was based on the 1914 jumper the premiership/Champions of Australia team wore. The black stripes were all equal width.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the PB's are approved, would people prefer the variation with more white or less? I quite like the darker version Port were wearing in the SANFL a couple years ago, but the lighter variation is probably more traditional. Doesn't quite look the same without the number panel.
View attachment 677996

We did wear a predominantly black one that did have stripes on the back too a few years ago for heritage round, it was based on the 1914 jumper the premiership/Champions of Australia team wore. The black stripes were all equal width.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
On a side note, are there any old-school Port fans here? Just wondering what it might have been like for you guys before Port joined the AFL? Did you happen to support the Crows & change allegiances to Port once they were admitted? Or did you just kinda ignore the AFL & focus on the SANFL?

On a side note, are there any old-school Port fans here? Just wondering what it might have been like for you guys before Port joined the AFL? Did you happen to support the Crows & change allegiances to Port once they were admitted? Or did you just kinda ignore the AFL & focus on the SANFL?

Never supported the Crows, but did attend games as it was the biggest show in town, aside from SANFL Grand Finals, for those 'in-between' years.

I was a casual North Melbourne supporter from the 80s through to early 90s, but once Port got the second license, that was it.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Not bad considering the Roos won the flag just before Port entered the comp. It's a win-win.

Not bad considering the Roos won the flag just before Port entered the comp. It's a win-win.

I also had to watch them lose to the Crows. Swings and roundabouts.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Attachments

• port-and-collingwood-jumpers_1uffq86l91pes16umaa70rsnyj.png
    port-and-collingwood-jumpers_1uffq86l91pes16umaa70rsnyj.png
    113 KB · Views: 38
  • 1020-Rocca_Saverio.jpg
    1020-Rocca_Saverio.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 165
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
when did collingwood change from white with black stripes to black with white stripes?
Collingwood changed back over to the white on black stripes in 2001. We had white on black stripes sometime in the 20's during our 4-peat and Eddie wanted to recapture the spirit of that time but returning to those colours.

Weekly thing the club does, a player selected as one of the best or toughest from the game before gets to train in the Prison Bars jumper. It also has J-Macs retired No.35 on the back of it too.

someone will be able to answer it better than me but something to do with magenta costing to much money to produce, cheapest being black and white
we were pink first then magenta
Makes me wonder why they even began with magenta/pink, considering there were far cheaper options and most early footy clubs wore black, blue and generally dark colours.
Perhaps to stand out?

Makes me wonder why they even began with magenta/pink, considering there were far cheaper options and most early footy clubs wore black, blue and generally dark colours.
Perhaps to stand out?

I have a vague memory of a story about getting material from a ship at the port (can’t recall if it was ill gotten or legit) and it just happened to be magenta. Once it ran out the club had to find something else.

This could be more myth than truth but I’m sure someone will know something.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
Collingwood fans: There's teal so it's clearly not a Collingwood guernsey
Port fans: I'm sorry, but also, the prison bars haven't been modified, I've just added teal trim to the collar (reminiscent of the chevrons sorta) whilst also using the back design from the SBS guernsey to represent the 2004 premiership ;)
You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

Also Mero I'm deeply sorry but I could not be bothered to attempt to remake your design so paint-bucket tool it is

Attachments

• imsorry.png
    imsorry.png
    28 KB · Views: 156

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
For real though, I love a good ol' underdog story, so here are some suggestions for Port fans who want to start sticking it right up the AFL and get their identity back:

- Start singing your old club song (Cheer Cheer) in your cheer squad during games. My suggestion would be 1st quarter, 14th minute (to represent the 1914 Champions of Australia). Crowd noise will probably be down during the first quarter so it's a good time to get noticed.
- If the FC is behind this movement, start releasing merchandise with simply "PAFC" in lieu of the Power/Magpies logos. That will help further the case that you're truly one club again.
- Issue as much PB related merchandise as possible. T-shirts, warm-up/training guernseys, anything to get the bars to the forefront of consciousness without the AFL having to approve it. Start making more black-white centric merchandise too, with just a hint of teal so that no-one will confuse it with Collingwood (apparently)
- Fans, get your hands on as much Magpies merch as possible and wear it to games and any events that will get eyes on it. Bring it back into the public consciousness, in media and social media.
- Boo the crap out of Collingwood any time you play them - see above point as well.
- Petitions will get you so far, but only so far. Money talks, you know the rest. Really get the bars to the forefront of the discussion and get around them. Seriously, if a bunch of fans get behind PB stuff and the black and white, the FC will have to take notice. If the FC take notice, the AFL will have to take notice. If the AFL take notice, Collingwood will be screwed and the AFL will see $$$ and follow.

Good luck, I really would love to see Port in the bars, even as a casual fan.

Port can wear their prison bars when they start playing home games in China instead of making another team give a home game to go to a shitty smog infested country....
I think in the stadium deal we have, we have to play 11 home games at AO so the SMA/SANFL can siphon every cent we make.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Port Adelaide SHOULD be allowed to wear the PBs next year as a one off. It’s only one game, it’s not going to damage anything. Need I remind everyone that for our 100 year celebration in 2008 we wore a one off jumper that looked nearly identical to a Hawthorn jumper. I wouldn’t say Hawthorn lost anything.

As to whether they should be allowed to wear it full time I’m less certain. If part of their entry agreement was to not wear it, then it should be honoured. However, there comes a point where the administration should be able to reverse decisions made by past club leaders. Then it comes down to whether or not the PBs would actually damage either club’s brand by making them indistinguishable.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Port can wear their prison bars when they start playing home games in China instead of making another team give a home game to go to a shitty smog infested country....

We don't make anyone do anything, why are people like you so ignorant? St Kilda could have said "No" as could have Gold Coast.

For the record I don't support the China venture, I am yet to see any financial benefit from it and we always come back very underdone. Spend the money on a goal kicking coach.

Back