Prediction Port ready for Roo raid on assistant coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Carr.
I don't think Ken and him saw eye to eye when he was mids coach. I'd rather get someone from inside the AFL system if he is going to have an oversight role.

I think we will all chip in to cover the flights and moving costs for both (or 3...)

So if Voss goes, and Richo keeps his job at Saints, who do we get in as our senior assistant to replace Voss?

Wouldn't mind getting a Walsh like strong tactical guy rather than someone who wants to coach an AFL side.
Rightly or wrongly I see Monty as a Walsh type.

Abrasive personality, tactically astute.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Ken and him saw eye to eye when he was mids coach. I'd rather get someone from inside the AFL system if he is going to have an oversight role.
If Ken and Josh Carr don't see eye to eye about Port Adelaide football I know which one I'd be backing in.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No offence to voss but its hard to believe that any of our assistants would be higher in regard than any of the assistants that have been at clubs like richmond geelong collingwood and west coast

Caro thinks Voss will be coaching again in 2020. North, Carlton and Saints jobs could all be open.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/momentum-grows-for-michael-voss-20190531-p51t3t.html

The pivotal decisions since then that have punctuated Voss' unconventional coaching journey now reach another sliding doors moment. Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley is acutely aware that his senior assistant - promoted to that role this season - could be gone by the end of 2019. The club has already spoken to Voss regarding how he will handle the coming months

Voss wants to become a senior coach again. And the industry support behind that ambition is gaining momentum. The AFL is backing him, the coaching fraternity is backing him and Port believe he is more than capable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven’t won a final since Voss has been here. Love the football boys club suddenly declaring that now is his time.

:thumbsu:

When Voss was appointed, he said something along the lines of, "I can't wait to work with Ollie Wines"

How has that worked out:rolleyes:

Had great admiration for Voss as he was a highly skilled player and would dominate games but he doesn't seem (from the outside) to be able to coach accordingly.

I understand he is popular with the players - second hand info.

Voss is highly regarded the AFL, my only question is why? I think he was unfairly sacked at Brisbane because they were finally turning the corner, but I haven't seen anything during his time at Port to suggest he is ready to coach again. In 2015 our midfield completely went downhill particular with our setups of which he played a big part. It's never truly recovered despite what the numbers say about clearances and what not.

I hope they take Voss and then we can use that to leverage the situation into getting rid of Ken. If you replaced Voss with someone you're still doubling down on Ken again, which means the club will give him at least another 12 months which would be a disaster.

Bigfooty has this funny obsession with talking up assistant coaches to be something more than what they are. Guys like Voss and Bassett were heroes when appointed now they're apparently hopeless. Only a matter of time before the same groupthink prevails on Schofield and Montgomery.

Bigfooty has this funny obsession with talking up assistant coaches to be something more than what they are. Guys like Voss and Bassett were heroes when appointed now they're apparently hopeless. Only a matter of time before the same groupthink prevails on Schofield and Montgomery.
Oct 14, 2014
OK **** it, here's your negatives.

- Taking on the Brisbane job with no AFL assistant experience. One of the most important things in any professional is to have a good understanding of your own capacity. This move pretty much said that Vossy has no such understanding.

- Clearing out the assistant coaches at the end of his first year. Sure they were all Leigh Matthews' guys, but they were a better brains trust than Vossy put in place. Wayne Brittain was his key recruit. Jade Rawlings another. What the ****.

- Fevola. What the **** was that. So now we know he's a **** judge of character too.

If you want a guy to be a football legend walking around the place and give a few gee-ups, Vossy will be great, but IMO he's going to be a deadweight in terms of judgement. If Kenny is Mr Tactics, great, but we're building a very Ken-dependent coaching team if we're going to rely that heavily on him - at least we knew Phil could carry the load tactically, as could Alan Richardson. We've replaced them with two Brians that were never talked about as being among the smartest players in the game. Talented or determined, sure.

Also now that we are a `success' again, sure its nice to be able to pull the big names, but the big names aren't always the best names. Richmond & Collingwood's patchy periods of poaching profiled players produced a paucity of positives. Just because we can pick anyone, it doesn't mean its easier to make the decision - its harder, you need to pick smarter, because all of a sudden `who is available' is far less important than `what do we specifically need'. If thats Voss, great, but IMO he's a character recruit, not a smarts one.

Bassett I was positive about, but its watching what he's done with the units he's been in control of that have soured my view on him

I think someone from north has just put voss name out there to deflect attention while they try and reign in the guy they really want. Clubs have done this sort of thing before. Voss aint coaching again if we were successful in his time here maybeva chance but not know. You just need to visit the north board to see they dont want voss

In regards to Basset:

His first year with us we were the Joe the Goose special.

His second year with us we had statistically an excellent defence, but it crumbled against good opposition.

Last years defence was poor and led to terrible ball movement
I’m not sure you can blame him about the poor ball movement.
Don’t get me wrong the defence were and still are terrible at it. But I honestly thing that’s s a personel issue and he is only one of the selectors.
Picking the right mix has been an issue whereby there are too many in the back half who refuse to move the ball on quick enough and who will go short either sideways or backwards and then take themselves out of the play.

You simply cannot have a back six that has Jonas, clury and Howard. Only two can ever play otherwise we are too slow in getting the balk past the centre line.

This whole thing is a bit wishful thinking... by us.

For starters its Norf. Even if they were dumb enough to want to take our coaching deadwood off us, they never get their big targets anyway.

Said targets just end up signing longer term contracts at their current clubs. Norf trying to poach Voss just means we're going to end up signing him on for a 10 year deal. And we thought it was bad when we let Cochrane play us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back