Autopsy Round 11, 2019: loss v cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Not happy to lose. But if you kick 8.15 you won’t win many.

Maybe if you took some positives out of the game you wouldn’t be so happy to lose.

I listed plenty of positives today

The players showed they can play this game very well and in spite of the negative style almost won

But I won’t ever be happy with any loss even if it’s the only loss for the year

A 3 goal loss looks better than a 6 goal loss its about the image i dont agree but it is what it is.
Sure, but why didn't we flick the switch sooner, spare man(s) back etc

It will never cease to baffle me seeing blokes call for Florent to be dropped. The kid should play 200+ games.

He just knows how to play footy.

There was a moment in the 3rd when we were under the pump and he collected the ball in the defensive 50. Instead of spearing the ball into the shins of the nearest red jumper like his teammates had been doing all night, he just held the ball up for a second, took a half step to draw his opponent before handing off to Rampe, giving him plenty of time to clear it.

Might seem silly to over analyse a small moment like that, but the kid has instincts you can't teach.

He is right up there with footy smarts

Blakey is another example

Guys you feel just read the play

Heeney and mills probably both lack that footy smarts for instance

A 3 goal loss looks better than a 6 goal loss its about the image i dont agree but it is what it is.

Makes plenty happy so who can blame him

Just go to the presser say kids tried hard we will work to develop them and lose most weeks

Things I enjoyed:
Reid backing it up with a solid game.
Hewett continued emergence as an AFL tier one mid - strong, elusive, tough
Rampe being Rampe - must be well in front of our medal count
Dawson emerging as the player some thought he could be
COR gaining confidence in the team
Parker doing the hard work
Hayward back to form
A brief glimpse of Blakey's best

Menzel was a bit of a waste - who else can they use to deny Rose the crack his form has warranted all year?
Pretty concerned re Buddy, but he's been poor before for a few weeks after injury then come back and really improved. Hope the same happens.
Give McCartin a two week rest next to the bye
Same with Heeney
Same with Mills (other side of bye)
Stop running our future into the ground Horse!

OUT: McCartin, Heeney, Menzel
In: Rose, Rowbottom, Knoll (haven't watched how he did today - but Sinkers needs help)

Things I enjoyed:
Reid backing it up with a solid game.
Hewett continued emergence as an AFL tier one mid - strong, elusive, tough
Rampe being Rampe - must be well in front of our medal count
Dawson emerging as the player some thought he could be
COR gaining confidence in the team
Parker doing the hard work
Hayward back to form
A brief glimpse of Blakey's best

Menzel was a bit of a waste - who else can they use to deny Rose the crack his form has warranted all year?
Pretty concerned re Buddy, but he's been poor before for a few weeks after injury then come back and really improved. Hope the same happens.
Give McCartin a two week rest next to the bye
Same with Heeney
Same with Mills (other side of bye)
Stop running our future into the ground Horse!

OUT: McCartin, Heeney, Menzel
In: Rose, Rowbottom, Knoll (haven't watched how he did today - but Sinkers needs help)

Now Menzel is in I’d give him a block of games

Needs the ball down there to be fair

Was Rohan a late out?

Dawson is such a good player, should have about 20 more games under his belt than he has, Match Committee stuffed up badly 18 months ago picking Foote instead of Dawson when he was on fire in the NEAFL. We're seeing now what he can do.

COR despite the occasional blunder really looks at home at the level, got pace, skills, daring and looks calm.

Hewett, WTF was he being used as a tagger for? Genuinely a very good midfielder. Leave tagging to lesser types like Clarke if you must tag.

Kick straight and win? The new look team developing nicely, happy to have a bottom six year and reap the rewards of soft draw and high draft pick

Spot on post. I really hope Dawson stays but half expect he will go. He is another bloody good player we have stuffed around. Agree he should have another 20 games under his belt.

Agree also re COR and your comments re Hewett. The mids are functioning better without the primary reliance on JPK. Speaking of whom I believe there should be a Royal Commission into the decision to play JPK v the Filth.

He's turning into a good tagger - if we use him as such he'll be a great value pick up.

Imo Thought he was a liability today not sure he can tag and he can’t use the ball, he can find it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we needed to score 3 goals in 8 minutes for some reason Longmire still was playing a man behind the ball.

Reid did take a couple of good intercepts - so it was worthwhile at that stage IMHO. But that left Buddy and Menzel up forward - who weren't up to it.

I'd rather see Rose given a crack over Menzel as Rose can at least find the footy - is an effective rover, and give us a bit more balance up there.

Just back from the game. Very much glass three quarters full on that performance. We could have easily won that. Should have been at least 3 goals up at HT given our dominance. Geelong had a patch but the game was played in our half 70% of the time. Geelong were just more efficient going forward and couldn't miss. We missed some very gettable goals and just couldn't peg those few goals back in the second half.

Hewett, Rampe and Dawson great. Will Dawkins get a holiday for his late hit on Dawson?. Best game by Mills this season imho. Parker and Florent pretty good. Reid provided a good target up front.

In general play it was very even. Maybe they were a little better in clearances. Menzel's poor game cancelled out by Rohan"s equal shocker.

Most of our young brigade showed promise tonight. Hayward better tonight. Blakey had some nice dashes and hit the scoreboard.

Last edited:
It will never cease to baffle me seeing blokes call for Florent to be dropped. The kid should play 200+ games.

He just knows how to play footy.

There was a moment in the 3rd when we were under the pump and he collected the ball in the defensive 50. Instead of spearing the ball into the shins of the nearest red jumper like his teammates had been doing all night, he just held the ball up for a second, took a half step to draw his opponent before handing off to Rampe, giving him plenty of time to clear it.

Might seem silly to over analyse a small moment like that, but the kid has instincts you can't teach.

It's the other 20 times a game he gets muscled out of the contest.
He was harder at it today trying to get a hold of it to be fair.
Was one of his better games for the year. He reached average again. Whoopee !

Buddy looks in his last gallop
If we kicked straighter we should have won that. Despite kicking from angles, 8.15 is still a poor return.

Buddy : liability today. Hope he builds some fitness as he is looking piss weak and one dimensional

Mexican: don’t know what to think. A few clangers

Clean clearances: worth their weight in gold. Parker and Hewett played well but we need someone who can burst out of a pack and deliver.

Generally the signs are pretty good.

Defence held up really well I thought. Backs need to find shorter targets upfield and down the corridor even if it means we may get scored against. Take the risk Horse.

Allir was good. Menzel was totally useless but worth persisting for a couple of games.

Dawson is becoming a very good senior player

We are far to top heavy in the front half imo , ball walks out of there.

Heeney still a highlight reel with no consistency.

Florent look good on the inside

Hewett is the best clearance player in the 22.

Reid’s in decent form

Our transition from the kicks outs and defence is shocking.

Need wingers and hbf with speed and a boot
Good post mate, especially the transition from kick outs!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back