Toast I have faith in Don Pyke

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Pyke made Melbourne miss all of those shots at goal badly ... just pure genius.
Scoreboard pressure. We basically pressured them into a choke.

Also managed to keep their opportunities on goal at a distance at least in the second half.

Scoreboard pressure. We basically pressured them into a choke.

Also managed to keep their opportunities on goal at a distance at least in the second half.

Not really, they missed a number of shots from well within regulation range, and dropped a mark or two otherwise.

Not really, they missed a number of shots from well within regulation range, and dropped a mark or two otherwise.
Regulation range is a pretty subjective term. Chances of missing from 40-45 are greater than from 15-20 even though everyone can cover the distance.

The dropped marks were golden. In terms of scoring opportunities I mainly recall Garlett tight in the left hand pocket. They opened us up on that occasion but again they could feel us breathing down their neck and pressure causes errors.

Either way, considering the lacklustre effort from the players in the first half I think Pyke did pretty well to salvage 4 points from a potential train wreck.

I dunno about losing my faith in Pyke, but our coaching is deplorable. I could coach better than these guys.

We only need to add three plays to our play book...

One extra back, when things are going a little wrong.

Two extras back when things are going fairly wrong.

Three extras back when things are going really wrong.....like first two quarters against melb tonight or late in the game against WC last week.

Who saw that hack kick to murphy with three tallish guys on him? They should have taken that away easy. Why dont we ever have that setup? There was almost a carbon copy a week earlier against WC from the same position on the ground, it was sloane hacking it forward under pressure. Pretty sure WC got the takeaway from that one as well, reckon that was a 3 on 1 too.

Early in the game when Melb were rushing it forward, you just knew they weren't going to slow it down coming into forward 50 and if we'd had extra numbers there, we woulda got easy chop offs (cos of the rushing) and then we would've had extras around to work a quick rebound. Our insistence with not adding this to our playbook makes me pull my hair out. The amount of times they entered 50 with far more space and separation and sometimes outnumbering our defenders was in stark contrast to our system.

Its the same with us leaving guys in attacking positions off the back of the pack.

Anyway, I might stop watching us. Too frustrating.

I dunno about losing my faith in Pyke, but our coaching is deplorable. I could coach better than these guys.

We only need to add three plays to our play book...

One extra back, when things are going a little wrong.

Two extras back when things are going fairly wrong.

Three extras back when things are going really wrong.....like first two quarters against melb tonight or late in the game against WC last week.

Who saw that hack kick to murphy with three tallish guys on him? They should have taken that away easy. Why dont we ever have that setup? There was almost a carbon copy a week earlier against WC from the same position on the ground, it was sloane hacking it forward under pressure. Pretty sure WC got the takeaway from that one as well, reckon that was a 3 on 1 too.

Early in the game when Melb were rushing it forward, you just knew they weren't going to slow it down coming into forward 50 and if we'd had extra numbers there, we woulda got easy chop offs (cos of the rushing) and then we would've had extras around to work a quick rebound. Our insistence with not adding this to our playbook makes me pull my hair out. The amount of times they entered 50 with far more space and separation and sometimes outnumbering our defenders was in stark contrast to our system.

Its the same with us leaving guys in attacking positions off the back of the pack.

Anyway, I might stop watching us. Too frustrating.
Whilst I share the same frustrations, I think there needs a serious tinkering of the structures when things aren’t going well:
- firstly, the fact when we do hack kicks, and they have more defenders ready to gobble it up, means we actually have more players in our defensive zones (which is going against your presumption)
- I think it’s not so much important to stack players in defense, but more so putting players in the right positions in ready of the hack kicks
- players need to be put in places of high probability of where the ball is likely to be going when there is a lot of congestion in the defence and a hack kick forward is a likely event.
- our players if having the time to settle and kick, should NEVER do hack kicks towards a zone where we are being outnumbered. This is called “stupidity”.

TLDR: we need to know when to tighten up our defense AND set players in zones where hack kicks are likely going to go when there is defensive congestion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back