Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Robertson has been many many games to improve. Taylor at least has shown some flashes throughout his career.

I'm willing to give Keays a bit more of a go

Agreed. Robertson has played about 70 games I think. He doesn't get enough leniency to cover the mistakes he consistently makes.

While Keays did little (apart from 1 kick) to show his ball use has improved to an acceptable standard he deserves a couple of games. At this stage though, like NRobbo, it looks unlikely he'll get another contract.

Just watched the replay. A few players really stood up last night.

Taylor. Great game. Let's hope he can continue that kind of form.

Lyons. Best game as a lion.

Robertson. At the game I thought he was very average. But watching his work he done really well. Did bruest end up kicking a goal? If he did he didnt get the 5 or so he averages against us.

Rayner. We asked. He delivered. Not alot of possessions but it's a good base to work on.

Then the usual from Neale, Andrew's, Rich, Hodge and Gardiner.

We kept the hawks to 34 points in 3 qtrs while kicking 79 ourselves. We had the same amount of scoring shots in the first and ended up with 9 odd more at the end of the game.

That will be a defining game for us. Typical 8 point game. 2 games clear of 9th halfway through the year with 3 very winnable games coming up.

Lets go lions.

We kept Gunston and Bruest quiet. Our defense was all over them, mighty effort to ensure most of them were all chaos ball entries rather than silver service from the middle.

Team's overall performance this season is an ongoing coaching triumph. Loves a settled team - few changes. And the backline is really jelling - now add some dash. Undefeated 2nds pushing for places - and Taylor taking his chance should inspire others. Hawks threw their best punches - and got run over. That's significant. Dare to dream.

Agreed. Robertson has played about 70 games I think. He doesn't get enough leniency to cover the mistakes he consistently makes.

While Keays did little (apart from 1 kick) to show his ball use has improved to an acceptable standard he deserves a couple of games. At this stage though, like NRobbo, it looks unlikely he'll get another contract.
It was a nice kick though!

Keays seemed to play a bt on the wing last night which was interesting. Saw him loose on the defensive side of a stoppage which we probably did to use his strong tackling like the one we saw him lay on Shiels.

Gunston and Breust didn't seem to turn up last night . I guess whoever manned them up has to take credit even though they had an off night.

Really pleased for Taylor . I've been an advocate for Cutler and Taylor to get more outside run and was disappointed after last week ,but last night we seemed to give him more freedom and he actually won some one or ones and held them up when the ball was in dispute,an aspect of his game we haven't seen a lot of.He's still only young and when he plays like that it just gives us more options when we transition.

Clarkson's preso was a bit bitter ,fancy complaining about a soft 50 plus whatever else. Mean twisted little man. It's a shame he's so successful.

What stood out last night was the very even contribution once we got rolling and everyone put in . Changes could improve us still ,but you wouldn't think there'd be more than one ,two at the most.

I am still steaming about the Burgoyne free in front of goal. It needs to be publicly dissected and debated because I honestly don’t know what else our players were supposed to do. That sort of interpretation on “holding the man” when the player just blatantly drops the ball to manipulate the rule is a serious blight on the game

If that sort of free kick cost us a grand final I would self-immolate like a Vietnamese monk in the lobby of AFL House.

And to think Clarkson described the clear 50m to Charlie as soft when he had umpires kissing players like Burgoyne on their proverbial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vital win in the context of the ladder and our finals chances , have to win home games and the winnable games away. Carlton will be harder than many expect and again one we must win

Cannot give teams head starts like that nor can we be so poor at converting , honestly it's embarrassing .

That said a great fight back ! Love the team with Matho in it , gives us an edge. Taylor and Lyons were fantastic , backline dominated after quarter time.

God help who we play when we convert properly !

Umpires did everything they could to gift Hawthorn the win, but they're still an average team.

What puzzles me more than thr Burgoyne free, is when Sicily casually walked out with the ball in our forward 50 and the umpire calls it a throw in. He had prior, brushed aside a tackle, had time to dispose of it, but chooses to walk it out.

Imagine if one of our Robbos did that, the level of inconsistency is staggering. Don't think I've ever seen the Gabba that livid at the one-sided umpiring in my 10 years of attending games there.

Totally agree with the Brown Dog .

How easy a go do the name players get off the umps.

That absolutely blatant in the back from Martin Friday night was a shocker.

Why don't our name players seem to get the same freebies. Touch Pendlebury or Dangerfield at your peril

The Burgoyne decision was ludicrous . Dropped the ball and exit stage left. As for the non paid marks...everyone stopped ,there are 3 umps . They were completely hopeless

Wont get that from Taylor every week, but that was a very Taylor game from him. He ran really hard all night to present and be an option, and that showed with how many touches he got. Also popped up for a couple of shots at goal. He struggles to force himself on a game, but when you have a ball control game like that he is great to have in the team. Again, he wont always get the space he was given, but he is a great complimentary link up player.

I am still steaming about the Burgoyne free in front of goal. It needs to be publicly dissected and debated because I honestly don’t know what else our players were supposed to do. That sort of interpretation on “holding the man” when the player just blatantly drops the ball to manipulate the rule is a serious blight on the game

If that sort of free kick cost us a grand final I would self-immolate like a Vietnamese monk in the lobby of AFL House.

And to think Clarkson described the clear 50m to Charlie as soft when he had umpires kissing players like Burgoyne on their proverbial.
Even more frustrating was the exact same thing happened to MRobbo about 20 seconds earlier but because he didn’t play it up he didn’t get the call. Umpire got suckered big time.

The umpiring really wasn’t good. It is a hard job but some parts of it really aren’t that hard and it was those parts they were getting wrong.

I think most people can get temporarily irate at 50-50 calls but later, on reflection, just accept that calls sometimes go against you like that.

But basic missing a mark, when even the opposition stop, is just straight up poor umpiring, no excuses. A couple weren’t even in doubt - the umpires just missed them.

Umpires are far too often making calls based on who the offender is, not just in our game last night either. It happens all the time, way too often, and fans of every club seem to complain about it. A big name gets extra time to get rid of the ball, or the benefit of the doubt in high or late tackles, sometimes in the most dubious of circumstances. A relative unknown or a known ‘troublemaker’ gets done much more quickly - the Mitch Robinson effect.

Umpires are human. They have a tough job. But the standards certainly aren’t going up.

Wouldn't want Archie kicking for goal to win a game ! He is no Walters

Walker to come back I guess , still would like to see wooller !

When Archie marked it someone near me in the crowd said "a point would be a triumph here".

The umpiring really wasn’t good. It is a hard job but some parts of it really aren’t that hard and it was those parts they were getting wrong.

I think most people can get temporarily irate at 50-50 calls but later, on reflection, just accept that calls sometimes go against you like that.

But basic missing a mark, when even the opposition stop, is just straight up poor umpiring, no excuses. A couple weren’t even in doubt - the umpires just missed them.

Umpires are far too often making calls based on who the offender is, not just in our game last night either. It happens all the time, way too often, and fans of every club seem to complain about it. A big name gets extra time to get rid of the ball, or the benefit of the doubt in high or late tackles, sometimes in the most dubious of circumstances. A relative unknown or a known ‘troublemaker’ gets done much more quickly - the Mitch Robinson effect.

Umpires are human. They have a tough job. But the standards certainly aren’t going up.

The non-call on Sicily walking out of bounds was as bad as the missed mark. Had slipped a tackle, was looking at the line and under no pressure walked straight out.

Back