Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The non-call on Sicily walking out of bounds was as bad as the missed mark. Had slipped a tackle, was looking at the line and under no pressure walked straight out.

Merrett used to get pinged consistently for that, even when it was way more subtle.

When Archie marked it someone near me in the crowd said "a point would be a triumph here".

I remarked something similar. Archie is actually pretty good when having a snap for a goal but his set shots are very rarely going through.

Charlie 20 goals 20 behinds
Hipwood 18 goals 20 behinds
Rayner 13 goals 11
McStay 13 goals 8

I hope David Alred is helping the boys improve on their performance under pressure and not just their kicking technique. It's all between the ears atm.
And countless out on the fulls to add to those numbers!

Wont get that from Taylor every week, but that was a very Taylor game from him. He ran really hard all night to present and be an option, and that showed with how many touches he got. Also popped up for a couple of shots at goal. He struggles to force himself on a game, but when you have a ball control game like that he is great to have in the team. Again, he wont always get the space he was given, but he is a great complimentary link up player.

Taylor's contract is up at seasons end. I previously thought he was gone. Last night he played like a bloke desperate to stay & his performance went up a level (or two). It was enjoyable to watch. Would be terrific for him to hold this form and maybe even improve. He hasn't had much senior footy so far this year. Why not? He's still young. Fagan mentioned in his post game presser that Taylor is popular amongst the boys. Hopefully he can earn another contract?

Taylor's contract is up at seasons end. I previously thought he was gone. Last night he played like a bloke desperate to stay & his performance went up a level (or two). It was enjoyable to watch. Would be terrific for him to hold this form and maybe even improve. He hasn't had much senior footy so far this year. Why not? He's still young. Fagan mentioned in his post game presser that Taylor is popular amongst the boys. Hopefully he can earn another contract?
I Love Lewy and always have and I really don’t want him to go anywhere.
Hope this weeks form continues.

Don't write players off too early. Well done Taylor last night, Lester the previous two weeks and to a lesser extent Keays. Hope Robertson keeps his spot for next week.

Are you referring to that school kid thing down the park end? We couldn't figure out what the hell they were saying.
They were from Marist's Brothers Ashgrove. According to the lady beside me in the bus they purchased 500 discounted tickets.
They added great atmosphere to the game up behind one goal end. Yes it was indigenous round and a little strange to have them perform what i believe was their school war cry at three quarter time.
But they were their to show great support for Charlie Cameron who attended school as a border.
I think it is good for the game to get 500 people from a school dominated by Rugby Union.

They were from Marist's Brothers Ashgrove. According to the lady beside me in the bus they purchased 500 discounted tickets.
They added great atmosphere to the game up behind one goal end. Yes it was indigenous round and a little strange to have them perform what i believe was their school war cry at three quarter time.
But they were their to show great support for Charlie Cameron who attended school as a border.
I think it is good for the game to get 500 people from a school dominated by Rugby Union.

Yeah it was definitely great marketing just bad timing.

Ahh, Ashgrove ok. Yeah pretty good effort to get that group attending from a rugby school.

We were talking about the cheap ticket concept during 3/4 time - the general consensus of our group is that it would make far more sense for us / AFL to offer discounted tickets through local sporting groups and schools than it is to let the stands sit empty week after week. Even if they're half price or a third or whatever - but just get the bums on the seats. The quantity of tickets doesn't have to stay the same each week, it can just be by redemption only and the quantity available can fluctuate depending on anticipated crowd numbers.

But overall it was so good to see that top tier full behind the goals, now they just have to get that next section around to the Gabba Members area full too.

Last edited:
RU_ your post from the game day thread.

”Worked an 11 hour day today crawling through roofs, was putting off going to bed to watch this. Might just go to bed.”

I do hope for your sake you didn’t?
Struggled to sleep so early and set an alarm that woke me up towards the end of the third. Managed to watch the fourth, was pretty happy!

Spewing as Sportsbet had the Lions at $4.50 I believe at the end of the first and I considered throwing some money on us, but we looked really flat so I didn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hated it but just watching the replay and commentators said it is Charlie Cameron’s old school. Would have preferred busing in a school that has higher indigenous population but there was a little bit of thought in it.

i was not a a McStay lover a while ago. IMO he would prounce around on the footy field and IMO not do much.
I am now willing to give this guy a bit of credit now. Okay we all know his goal kicking is crap at the moment. Hopefully one straight kick in the game against Carlton will change his mind set cause im sure he is thinking about it now each time he is taking a shot from close in. At least we are having the discussion that he is kicking crap which means he is clunking some marks and getting some of the footy now. I would be more concerned if we were talking about him not getting the footy. Look at the mark he took where he missed his second shot straight in front. The height he got up in the air to clunk the mark with no assistance was awesome.The vertical leap he showed was brilliant. That's the positive i would rather look at now with him.
i will be happy to be proven i was wwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg about this guy.

jeeze on the highlights hippy only took 2 step for his wrong foot on that tight goal. After the one before i think he was just going through the motions, but a great goal!

I hated it but just watching the replay and commentators said it is Charlie Cameron’s old school. Would have preferred busing in a school that has higher indigenous population but there was a little bit of thought in it.

I think they did that as well - there was an interview with a couple of indigenous kids and their teacher at one of the breaks (maybe half time?).

Last edited:
Going off the list below, we don't have many bunnies. But if you're going to make a case for having a bunny, the Hawks are certainly one of them!

Current winning streaks against other teams:

Carlton 3
Hawthorn 3
Gold Coast 2
Adelaide 1
North Melbourne 1
Port Adelaide 1
Sydney 1
West Coast 1
Fremantle -1
Essendon -2
Melbourne -4
St Kilda -4
Western Bulldogs -5
GWS -6
Collingwood -6
Geelong -8
Richmond -12

In the run home we play 6 of the 7 teams with really good records against us, hopefully a good opportunity to bust some more bogeys!

All of the above is correct. For Indigenous round we thought we'd see if Charlie's school wanted to come along, and they brought nearly 500 people to the game which got us over the 25,000 crowd figure which was great. Charlie made sure his goal line kick for goal went to the kids.

There was plans to do a Lions themed war cry at the break, but that didnt happen in the end. Need to investigate why.

Last edited:
I know I'm going to sound really petulant, but whenever the umpires start reaming us I always want us to go "Four-asterisk it" and start making them earn those frees - whether it's elbows, stomping on fallen opponents, sling tackles or just calling them late for dinner.

If the All Australian selectors have been lured into the silly Darcy Moore AA CHB campaign being waged by some sycophants in the media, they should watch the last quarter of both the Lions and Pies games yesterday and compare him to Harris Andrews. Moore dropping crucial marks all over the place, Andrews a colossus. In fact they should watch our last quarter vs Freo as well for more evidence.

Harris hasn’t resorted to a look-at-me haircut to get noticed either.

Sitting at the game the umpiring was just crap. That number 11. When you have an umpire 80 meters from the play making decisions for the umpire standing there watching the play at his feet you have a crap umpire.

Harris I had as my best in that he had the biggest influence. Lyons, Gardnier, Mathieson and Neale. Great game Taylor. Only change next week will probably be Nic Robbo it just seems in one year he has got slower to the team has got faster. Carlton, Bye then St Kilda so good opportunity to get to 9 and 4 and then have a crack at making finals with Berry, Baily and possibly Adams coming through the Neafl

That’s the biggest load of crap. Out of zone free kicks are common and not a sign of a bad umpire. Yes, it can mean you miss free kicks, but most of he time it means their view is obstructed and their teammate is helping them out. That’s half the reason there’s three umpires.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back