Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
At this point I think his kicking is what it is.

Hasn't improved at all in 4 years now.
The thing that stood out to me yesterday was his pace at and with the footy. It is really hard to kick accurately when running at absolute pace.
The game is so fast nowadays he dare not slow down lest he be tackled. Paps needs his team mates to tell him he has space, to settle and take the kick.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
A couple of things about Tom Papley that I noticed yesterday:

1. He’s the last player off in warm ups. He came out with the other forwards, with the exception of Menzel who came out first and took shots on goal (rarely ******* missed too). He would’ve stayed back a good 10 mins after the others. Works very hard at his craft and in my view sets a standard others should aspire to.

2. He runs and runs and runs and subsequently would probably utilize the bench the most. By the time he hits the boundary line, he’s ****ed!

Anyone else noticed that at other grounds, in particular the SCG?

Not particularly but Punts is right, we were too tall. Not enough ground pressure up forward.

Yeah think it will take some time to work out mccartin Blakey Reid franklin

With Menzel Papley

Few not fit there doesn’t help

If Blakey was fully developed would be up the ground way more ditto if buddy was fitter

Maybe mccartin will have to go back as Reid won’t be moved back

Mccartin probably should have had a run down back

Reid probably needs to stay forward now he is marking better

Buddy and Reid went to same spot a lot yesterday was a worry

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Needs a help at ground level

To top heavy

Bring in Ronke
I’d seriously roll the dice on Blakey and play him midfield. His reading of the ball is second to none (along with his breakaway speed) and this would allow Ronke to come in. Do you know if Paddy Cripps came in and played midfield day 1 for Carlton?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I’d seriously roll the dice on Blakey and play him midfield. His reading of the ball is second to none (along with his breakaway speed) and this would allow Ronke to come in. Do you know if Paddy Cripps came in and played midfield day 1 for Carlton?

To be fair Cripps had 10kg of size on Blakey at around the same height.

But I agree on playing Blakey on the wing at the very least.

A couple of things about Tom Papley that I noticed yesterday:

1. He’s the last player off in warm ups. He came out with the other forwards, with the exception of Menzel who came out first and took shots on goal (rarely ******* missed too). He would’ve stayed back a good 10 mins after the others. Works very hard at his craft and in my view sets a standard others should aspire to.

2. He runs and runs and runs and subsequently would probably utilize the bench the most. By the time he hits the boundary line, he’s ******!

Anyone else noticed that at other grounds, in particular the SCG?
Yes, I have. You might not see him on TV, but he is always on the move, spreading, attacking, tackling, manning an opponent or sneaking free! You never see him hanging around watching the game... And another thing, he's always talking!

Back