Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Four years out of finals from a coach who’s never won a premiership is really something to write home about.

Fremantle scrap their way to 10 wins. tek87: Ross the Boss the genius has done it again!!!
As a fan who isn’t in Lyons corner does a result like yesterday make you a bit torn?

I ask this as last year felt Geelong were going nowhere under Scott and thought some wins were papering over real cracks.

Lyon did everything he could to be a two time premiership coach, just a toe poke and bad bounce away. This year he’s done another excellent job. can’t believe people still bag the guy.

If Freo were to sack this year (which they obviously and rightly won’t) there’s no way they will hire anyone better. Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got until you haven’t got it anymore.

As a fan who isn’t in Lyons corner does a result like yesterday make you a bit torn?

I ask this as last year felt Geelong were going nowhere under Scott and thought some wins were papering over real cracks.
I’m happy for him to be coach if he continues winning games like that. Beating a good Collingwood side at the MCG is never an easy feat.

Solid, patient rebuild for Freo. Didn’t panic in 2016 when the floor fell out and just played the youngsters and plucked some quality from elsewhere when opportunities came up.

Look pretty good now so good luck to him.

Absolutely agree with this. He’s slowly dispelling the points of accepted wisdom about him as a coach

- Doesn’t play the kids: he didn’t need to at the Saints or in his first four years at the Dockers - but hear him speak about Cerra and Brayshaw with an almost paternalistic pride and you realise this is a myth. The thing is he inherited sides on the rise and for the majority of his career has never had a top 10 pick to nurture. We now have the 2nd/3rd youngest list in the comp.

- Can’t rebuild: showing that to be a nonsense. Only three of our regular 22 this season were established members of the starting 22 in 2015 when we last played finals (Fyfe, Mundy, Walters). We went for the icing on the cake in 15 trade/draft (Bennell etc), so in just three trade/drafts the club has turned over 80% of its list and we’re now back in finals contention.

- Too defensive: This is still a work in progress. He will always start from a defensive platform, but there’s a far greater attacking intent this season than he’s shown before. We’re in the top 3 for inside 50s in the comp, and on four occasions things have clicked (North for most of the game, second quarter against the Saints, GWS - especially Q4, and Q3 yesterday). On other occasions our method and structure into the forward 50 have been woeful. But, you would have to be truly myopic to say our game style is lacking in attacking intent.

I was actually for letting him go in the summer; the Geelong defeat was disgusting. But any team that can win away in Canberra to GWS and the G against the Pies has to be on the rise. We may scrape into the top 8 come the end of the year, but I’m very happy with that as an outcome for Year 3 of a total rebuild. Come 2021 I fully believe we’ll be back in the top four.

Think he’s going along pretty well.
Looking forward to seeing what we can produce when the game plan fully clicks and the kids get to the 50 game exp mark.

Slot in Taberner Hill & fingers crossed for Bennell & could be some exciting times ahead.

Freo are on the improve & well ahead of many Victorian clubs. Not convinced on Ross the boss however I do rate their list. Should of won 2 more games this year (GC & Ess) and would be in top 4 with a handy draw during the second half of season. If they can get a decent ready made big bodied midfielder (Coniglio or Kelly) for next season they will go close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point, honestly I don't know.

I was listening to ABC Sportstalk yesterday morning, and they had Grumpy Mick talking about supporters wanting to change their coach. I’m probably not Micks greatest fan, but he made some very interesting points.

Where did you the footy critics rate your team at the start of the season ?. Bottom 4 ?.

Where is the team at the bye ?. Bottom of the top 8.

The team is performing better than expected, is the coach not doing a better job than expected ?.

you wanted Ross Lyon sacked last month, now you changed your mind again.
The technical term for that kind of thing is being a Bed Wetter. Someone who can't hold on. An inability to see things through and instead makes hasty decisions which they regret. Someone with a short attention span and an inability to understand that more complex actions (such as a rebuild) take a little bit of planning, and then a period of implementation. After that come the results.

Typically they change their mind, but you can be assured that it will change again due to the inability to hold true to a plan.

The technical term for that kind of thing is being a Bed Wetter. Someone who can't hold on. An inability to see things through and instead makes hasty decisions which they regret. Someone with a short attention span and an inability to understand that more complex actions (such as a rebuild) take a little bit of planning, and then a period of implementation. After that come the results.

Typically they change their mind, but you can be assured that it will change again due to the inability to hold true to a plan.
I reckon you shat the bed with your “re-sign Lyon” call after the North game. As it stands we’ve improved to ... 9th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back