Our losses 2019

With match ups in finals we could win the flag or go out first up. We have not worked out a way to win when opposition teams play keepings off with a key forward clunking it.

This was forgiveable last year. It is not forgivable this year. The persistence with zone defence allows those teams to cut us up. This should have been obvious by half time in the Bulldogs game (if not earlier); to persist with another game and a half of hoping things will change is not acceptable.

I don't care if we try something *ed and it doesn't work. I do care when time after time the same style of play cuts us up. I'd argue that the missing players wouldn't stop the oppos cutting us up with keepings off. All it would change with rance back is the talls would kick less goals but their smalls would kick them instead.

Is our game plan really so incompatible with man on man?

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond
We are a system based side, that’s why new players that have been schooled in the 2s and on the track can slot straight in.
But when the system breaks down, the wheels fall off and the axles snap. It completely falls apart.
Starts at the stoppage and you could see Nth were amped and we didn’t match it.
Means our backs are under the pump and forwards never get easy looks.
I find it almost amusing when the system breaks, some skilful players turn completely doofus. Players running into one another, kicks over heads, dropped marks. It used to concern me, but these days we seem to snap back into shape pretty quickly.

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon our backline has a problem with teams with gorillas playing in their forward line (Brown, Jenkins, Naughton, Cox, Cameron, etc) even when Rance was playing. They've all kicked big hauls of goals against us. And strong marking forwards stop us bringing the ball to the ground and sling-shotting back out. Whether that's a deficiency upfield or a problem in out defence I cant say, but I worry about Geelong with that gorilla Hawkins, and the West Coast, cos they've got two.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
*Level on wins with 4th*

"Top 4 is done now"

Give it a rest
We are a game and percentage out of the top 4 once the round finishes, and with a smashing by Geelong next week probably 2 games and even more percentage. From there we can only lose 1-2 More games for the rest of the year to have a chance of top 4 guven our percentage, and with games against west coast, collingwood, gws, adelaide (away) and stkilda (docklands) that aint happening

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
when we lose we lose bad and don't seem to have a plan b in the process, its coaching and its implementation. I cant work out why these blokes in the box who get paid so much of our membership money can' realise simple stuff. Also quite often we have picked the wrong team. Its not easy. but we need good decision makers on all levels.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
We are a game and percentage out of the top 4 once the round finishes, and with a smashing by Geelong next week probably 2 games and even more percentage. From there we can only lose 1-2 More games for the rest of the year to have a chance of top 4 guven our percentage, and with games against west coast, collingwood, gws, adelaide (away) and stkilda (docklands) that aint happening
West Coast’s percentage is stuff all more than ours, at most we’ll be a game and a few percent out.
Keep in mind the only club we’ve lost to at the MCG in the last two years is Collingwood.
We are playing the occasional s**t game. But 6 out of our last 8 games we haven’t played s**t.
Every team except Geelong is playing the occasional s**t game. A bit like how every team except us was playing the occasional s**t game last year. In the end, one of those teams won the flag.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
when we lose we lose bad and don't seem to have a plan b in the process, its coaching and its implementation. I cant work out why these blokes in the box who get paid so much of our membership money can' realise simple stuff. Also quite often we have picked the wrong team. Its not easy. but we need good decision makers on all levels.

What about games we do win?

If losses means the coaching staff isn't selecting the right teams or realising simple stuff, then every coaching staff in the AFL is no good.

It's very easy to sit back and say "Oh that is just so obvious, why can't the coaching staff see it"" and "we would have won if we chose this player rather than that player". It's all coulda, woulda stuff. Truth is, it is never that simple. If it was, any random football fan could coach at AFL level.

Carnis

Senior List
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
West Coast’s percentage is stuff all more than ours, at most we’ll be a game and a few percent out.
Keep in mind the only club we’ve lost to at the MCG in the last two years is Collingwood.
We are playing the occasional **** game. But 6 out of our last 8 games we haven’t played ****.
Every team except Geelong is playing the occasional **** game. A bit like how every team except us was playing the occasional **** game last year. In the end, one of those teams won the flag.

The Tiges make the Top 4 if they defend the MCG fortress. I think the losses this year were due to drop-offs in pressure. Against the Pies and Giants, it was because of shocking on-field injuries, against the Dogs it was partly Astbury not being there to take down a tall forward (and a couple more injuries, esp Vlaustin), but the lack of pressure against North after half time was just inexplicable.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
What about games we do win?

If losses means the coaching staff isn't selecting the right teams or realising simple stuff, then every coaching staff in the AFL is no good.

It's very easy to sit back and say "Oh that is just so obvious, why can't the coaching staff see it"" and "we would have won if we chose this player rather than that player". It's all coulda, woulda stuff. Truth is, it is never that simple. If it was, any random football fan could coach at AFL level.

for the games we win our mindset is right our team is selected right and I would say our coaches are usually right. It might sound simplistic but I do beleive we have not selected the right teams when we have lost. eg, no inside bull this week gone.

We've won last 26 of 28 games at the G.
That's an impressive record that proves we love wide open spaces for our runners that Marvel can't provide.
The majority of our second half games are played at the G and that will significantly help our cause.
Keep Calm and Stick Fat!

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
This is due to the AFL scheduling us outside the g for as long as possible this year in the hopes we lost a lot of games and were too far behind to make a charge. Will win nearly every game from here on out

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
With match ups in finals we could win the flag or go out first up. We have not worked out a way to win when opposition teams play keepings off with a key forward clunking it.

This was forgiveable last year. It is not forgivable this year. The persistence with zone defence allows those teams to cut us up. This should have been obvious by half time in the Bulldogs game (if not earlier); to persist with another game and a half of hoping things will change is not acceptable.

I don't care if we try something ******ed and it doesn't work. I do care when time after time the same style of play cuts us up. I'd argue that the missing players wouldn't stop the oppos cutting us up with keepings off. All it would change with rance back is the talls would kick less goals but their smalls would kick them instead.

Is our game plan really so incompatible with man on man?

Nail on the head. Its bloody concerning. I honestly dont know why we dont just go man on man, just try it one game, whats the worst that can happen? we lose? haha, we lose anyway when a possession based team gets the game on their terms.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
We are a system based side, that’s why new players that have been schooled in the 2s and on the track can slot straight in.
But when the system breaks down, the wheels fall off and the axles snap. It completely falls apart.
Starts at the stoppage and you could see Nth were amped and we didn’t match it.
Means our backs are under the pump and forwards never get easy looks.
I find it almost amusing when the system breaks, some skilful players turn completely doofus. Players running into one another, kicks over heads, dropped marks. It used to concern me, but these days we seem to snap back into shape pretty quickly.

Yeah one of the things that's a constant with us in recent times is we always improve after a loss - that shows coaches are doing an incredible job getting their message across to the playing group. I expect us to bounce back but just not sure we're serious contenders now.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Yeah one of the things that's a constant with us in recent times is we always improve after a loss - that shows coaches are doing an incredible job getting their message across to the playing group. I expect us to bounce back but just not sure we're serious contenders now.
right this minute!? no...

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The losses this year go like this;

Tigers 54 (Pies Rd 2), 49 (Giants Rd 3), 47 (Dogs Rd 7), 37 (Kangas Rd 11)
Eagles: 44 (Lions Rd 1), 42 (Power Rd 5), 58 (Cats Rd 6)
Giants 52 (Eagles Rd 2), 24 (Freo Rd 5), 33 (Hawks Rd 8)
Pies 7 (Cats Rd 1), 22 (Eagles Rd 3), 4 (Dockers Rd 11)

So we are the worst losing side out of the best finals sides from recent times.
Eagles and Giants have got their skeletons too but are in better form than us currently.
Good news is that it's a marathon not a sprint.

aislegi

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
We've won last 26 of 28 games at the G.
That's an impressive record that proves we love wide open spaces for our runners that Marvel can't provide.
The majority of our second half games are played at the G and that will significantly help our cause.
Keep Calm and Stick Fat!

Three of our four unsuccessful finals campaigns (2013, 2015, 2018) have involved ungraceful exits at the MCG

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
My concern is six of our seven wins have been against sides outside the eight , with Port our only victory of the top eight sides . Port probably won’t make it which means we could have a long season ahead of us trying to carry this young team along. The only benefits I’m seeing in this year is that guys like Balta Stack Baker and co are getting the fitness and experience at the highest level in preparation for next year and beyond.
Our last five losses are carbon copies and the coaching team still haven’t worked out how to stop the haemorrhaging let alone a solution and this is a concern.

Nov 26, 2007
Queensland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hull City
4 losses isnt the concern, 7-4 is an acceptable record with our injuries, however the nature is concerning. We are nowhere near those games when we lose and the team looks like it has no ability to get back into a game. If we dont start well it seems we get crushed after half time.

I get your point, but if you look closely at the GWS and Pies losses, we were actually still within touching distance quite late in those games, and it was really a 3-5 goal burst at the end from those teams that blew things out and padded the margin's for them a bit.

The Dogs and Roos games were identical in that we had a 3rd quarter capitulation, and those quarters are the quarters where the kids have dropped off, and the lack of senior class in guys like Rance, Riewoldt, Lambert, Nankervis, Short, Cotchin, have either all or mostly been missing, among others.

There's enough reasonable doubt here to suggest that this is a normal part of the process of blooding more youngsters into a quality side than you would ideally like to, but the rewards for the future in unearthing Stack, Balta, Ross, Baker, and even Bolton at times, plus getting a pretty good look and some good signs from the 2-4 year players like Garthwaite, Menadue, and Soldo.

The first half of 2019, with everything taken into account, has been a solid B+ so far, and if we'd not had the downer against the Roos, I'd have been saying A- as the grade. Things to work on, we're not the very best right now, but our very top gear will still be capable of being the best at the pointy end, and in years to come our overall squad's future prospects are very, very bright.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Three of our four unsuccessful finals campaigns (2013, 2015, 2018) have involved ungraceful exits at the MCG
It doesn’t help nearly every final we play is at the G. It’s always difficult to win through September and chances are, if we’re going to exit, it’ll be at the G.

Beyond that, our finals record there under Dimma is 4-3, including 4 of our last 5.

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
We’re just timing our run. Win 3 then relax 1 week. Back at the G this week. We should be back to our best again. There will be 5 times as many tiger supporters at the game than last week even though it’ll be colder. The players will feel the support and be spurred on and play a much better game. Players will win when they have to

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Equal fifth on points and everyone wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just relax a little. Every loss this year they have responded the following week. The aim would be to finish 4th if they can beat 2 of WC, Collingwood and GWS at the G they will. Of the teams above us we have had the worse run with injury.

With so many inexperienced or good ordinary footballers in the 22, we really need a solid contribution out of the whole 22 to win. And we've had that for 7 games.

It only takes a handful of players to have a quiet game and we fall away sharply. That's how I'm rationalising the size of our losses.

Tonymontana344

M.Rioli(legend)
Jul 19, 2018
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
2017 premiership year after RD 11(7-4)
2019 after RD 11(7-4)

At this stage happy to forget about our losses and hopefully focus on our next win against Geelong this week..

2017 premiership year after RD 11(7-4)
2019 after RD 11(7-4)

At this stage happy to forget about our losses and hopefully focus on our next win against Geelong this week..

Yep, I'm sure their sole concern is to manage what they can control.

Back