DONT TRADE CARLTONS PICK

Remove this Banner Ad

Put a good team around them, pay them what they're worth, and they'll stay. We've had some players leave that are clearly getting pretty big overs in regards to salary from opposition clubs. Which I don't have too much of a problem with. What I do have a problem with and it has clearly affected our overall salary cap in the past, is the money that some of our lower tier and older guys would be getting paid. Reduce that, and direct the dollars where it needs to be going. Be more ruthless, especially with guys extending their careers on 1 year contracts. I would hope Mackay is on an absolute rock bottom contract, but I highly doubt he is.
Agree, we like to use the Geelong model and spread the money evenly across the squad, and even with this we still have $1.2M to try and tempt Grundy......we can't keep the money from the AFL if we don't spend it can we? The last contract MacKay signed was a 5 years $2-2.5M contract.

Agree, we like to use the Geelong model and spread the money evenly across the squad, and even with this we still have $1.2M to try and tempt Grundy......we can't keep the money from the AFL if we don't spend it can we? The last contract MacKay signed was a 5 years $2-2.5M contract.
No, have to spend a minimum of 95% of the cap each year. It's a rolling cap, so you can spend up to 105% in a single year. And Mackay's long contract that he got was 1.6 mil for 4 years. Hence the 400Kay.

I would love to be proved wrong with Gibbs, if he can learn to play every game as if it's his last and stop kicking around his body we might get that improvement, one thing I can tell him is if he can't engage with their body on the inside he will not last. He doesn't have elite speed so for him to survive he needs to use everything he has, he hasn't shown that he is prepared to do that for long enough. 4 years is not happening, right now we just want him to be able to be able to be part of the group to the end of the year. Ih he survives for 2 years I am going to be very happy for Adelaide and him.

Put a good team around them, pay them what they're worth, and they'll stay. We've had some players leave that are clearly getting pretty big overs in regards to salary from opposition clubs. Which I don't have too much of a problem with. What I do have a problem with and it has clearly affected our overall salary cap in the past, is the money that some of our lower tier and older guys would be getting paid. Reduce that, and direct the dollars where it needs to be going. Be more ruthless, especially with guys extending their careers on 1 year contracts. I would hope Mackay is on an absolute rock bottom contract, but I highly doubt he is.
Agree if you manage your cap well you have the room to keep who you want to stay. We haven't been doing that for some time but they need to start rectifying this situation this year or we will lose a few we need. We may need to get as many first round picks to build success which will build the culture where players want to stay. Once we have that culture i will have more confidence in picking high end Victorians.

Luke
1. You wouldn't get Luko that cheap. 2. You've been extremely critical of the club and demanding that we rebuild and bottom out to get elite talent. We have a chance to get the best of the best of this years crop and you want to downgrade and do more of the same of what the club has always done ?? That makes no sense.
Luko has one major flaw in the AFL , his contested marking

2 and 3 actually. While that might be splitting hairs, pick one is certainly better than 2 and mostly ends up well. Although none of this is guaranteed.

They might be interested as Rankine hasn't worked out yet and might even be a bust. Luko is young and settling in but is way off from what they might have hoped.
Pick one should be a straight up start and Himmer may be something special and in a shorter timeframe than Luko.

I guess what I'm saying is, at this moment, 1 and Himmer for Luko and Rankine is about right.
That's unders, but not so far as to be unbelievable.

Would we entertain Pick 1 and 2020 1st rounder for Luko and Rankine?
Probably not. The 2020 draft looks great for South AustraIians.

That being said - trade 1 and 28 to GWS for 7 and 14, and trade 7 and 2020 first for Lukosius and Rankine? THAT I'd do.

Probably not. The 2020 draft looks great for South AustraIians.

That being said - trade 1 and 28 to GWS for 7 and 14, and trade 7 and 2020 first for Lukosius and Rankine? THAT I'd do.

I think once we hit October we will know whether its worth it or not.

I guess what I find bemusing, not from you, but just in general how the value of Luko and Rankine have dropped so dramatically. I know its Pick 1, but how many would have gone on to have had great careers?

I guess what I find bemusing, not from you, but just in general how the value of Luko and Rankine have dropped so dramatically. I know its Pick 1, but how many would have gone on to have had great careers?
The value of almost every draftee drops, as soon as they're driven out of the car yard.

I'm not sure the value of those 2 has dropped, some might have shiny new toy-itis, but it's more about the positions those guys play vs an elite midfield prospect this year. Luko has performed as I expected for the most part in the role he was going to play at AFL level for now, and Rankine hasn't been able to show what he's got yet due to injury. We've never had an opportunity to take one of the very best mids in a draft, and you have to admit that is an exciting prospect.

The value of almost every draftee drops, as soon as they're driven out of the car yard.

This I do know. I expected given they their talent cant be questioned yet and that they are South Australians, they would still hold a lot of value.

Well let me ask this then, should the Suns accept Pick 1 and a future first for Luko and Rankine?

Our chance to recruit a legit top midfielder, rather than hoping to land a diamond in the rough or someone to slip through because of injury, and people want to give that away.

If I didn't know better I'd think these people were just masochists who want the Crows to remain an also-ran.

The challenge with the draft as we have it is that we are recruiting from mostly 18 year olds, not their fault at all, but on draft night we compare them against their peers, the really good ones are really good, next season when they start playing they are compared with the entire field, of course they don't look as good then. The trick is to make sure you see the potential and do everything you can to bring it out through the development process. If there is a miss-step in development it can still become a real issue, some cope well, others don't, regardless of how good they were at draft time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This I do know. I expected given they their talent cant be questioned yet and that they are South Australians, they would still hold a lot of value.

Well let me ask this then, should the Suns accept Pick 1 and a future first for Luko and Rankine?

Yes they would, and no Suns would not accept that trade because they'd be taking a loss on their prospects one year in. Add in pick 19 and it becomes a maybe.

1. You wouldn't get Luko that cheap. 2. You've been extremely critical of the club and demanding that we rebuild and bottom out to get elite talent. We have a chance to get the best of the best of this years crop and you want to downgrade and do more of the same of what the club has always done ?? That makes no sense.

May as well trade it for picks 17,18,19 and 20 and go full-Carlton rebuild...

We need to take the best player in the draft at pick 1.

I'd put money on us not trading it out.

It’s pretty even draft from reports, wouldn’t Crows rather trade it for player and mid first round? I think good value. Grundy is a gun ruck

Grundy and Collingwoods first Rd for Number 1?

It’s pretty even draft from reports, wouldn’t Crows rather trade it for player and mid first round? I think good value. Grundy is a gun ruck

Grundy and Collingwoods first Rd for Number 1?
No one here knows ... This is uncharted territory for us... top 3 pick. Everyone has an opinion I guess.

First 2 are standouts, no chance we trade it imo.

If Grundy talks heat up im sure Collingwood would only accept a deal if Pick 1 is involved, won’t accept later picks or future picks unless 1 is involved.

I think Justin Reid would get a third team involved just using example

Crows receive Grundy and Pick 6
Pies receive Pick is 1
Third clubs gets multiple first rounds

If Grundy talks heat up im sure Collingwood would only accept a deal if Pick 1 is involved, won’t accept later picks or future picks unless 1 is involved.

Pies receive Pick is 1
If we really want him and he wants to come, we can do that for free next year.
It’s effectively wasting pick 1 as we aren’t winning the flag next year.

No one here knows ... This is uncharted territory for us... top 3 pick. Everyone has an opinion I guess.

True. I think good opportunity for Crows to set themselves up. Chance Jones looking good and still have McHenry and Hamil developing so can really build for next 10 years. Top 10 Pick will improve position even more so.

Pies receive Pick is 1
Not a snowflake's chance in Hades Collingwood accept less than Pick 1 alone for a contracted Brodie Grundy....and probably they will want more than that.

If we really want him and he wants to come, we can do that for free next year.
It’s effectively wasting pick 1 as we aren’t winning the flag next year.

If that’s the scenario then yes keep Pick 1. Even listening on radio even trade it out for multiple first rounds. Pick 1 for Picks 5 and 9 would still be good value for Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back