Autopsy Brisbane defeats Hawthorn, Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

About the most biased commentary I've heard on television all season. Just because he can deliver in a sober tone didn't make it any less obnoxious.
Probably 95% of the special comments were about Brisbane. When a side is trailing i can understand that most of the comment would be about what that club needs to do. Then in the last quarter when we were trailing the only 2 times when Hawthorn was mentioned was when Lewis took those mark.

I miss the fiery Sicily, can he be more expressive but not getting a free kick against? Just let it go but within the rules. He got that natural ability to get the crowd going, just need to learn it to his advantage.

yeah unfortunately the game is officiated differentely to 10 years ago because i remember reading in sam mitchells bio re: the unsociable hawks that the philosophy was if a guy got suspended it wasn't ideal but it was fine and part of the culture we were trying to build, shame if your name isn't gary ablett you can't really do it anymore

i reckon him and Al Clarko should do a really close study of the rulebook and find out EXACTLY what you can and can't get away with and unleash him with a few loopholes in mind haha

I miss the fiery Sicily, can he be more expressive but not getting a free kick against? Just let it go but within the rules. He got that natural ability to get the crowd going, just need to learn it to his advantage.

Maybe if we want Sicily to cut loose, he needs to be in the forward line. That way he'll get free kicks in a dangerous position or give them away in a non-dangerous position.

Yeah this.

Whether it’s Cogs or someone else we think has some upside who is currently not getting a good run at it....we just need to bat deeper in the middle.

There’s quite a few midfielders who are behind established players who might just jump for opportunity.

I reckon that’s where we look for immediate impact to the list(understanding that we also have some FS and Academy kids who in the works).

Yep I have my eye on Sier (Pies) and Hately (Giants). Both easily in our best 22.

Been supporting my beloved Hawks for over 50 yrs now. There's been many, many good times over that journey. Living in Brisbane I don't get to see the boys play very much, so off to The Gabba I go with my son (Lions supporter) and grandson (Hawks supporter) hoping for a gutsy hard fought win although knowing Brisbane has the wood on us after last year. I don't post much anymore, couldn't be bothered going back and forward with some know it alls on here.
Anyway here's my take on last night, started off sooo well and then aghhhhh so painful. Also had an interesting seat positioned only second row back on the end right beside the Lions bench. Was very very interesting, a few things I'll share later.

Harris Andrews ... Can we clone this guy absolute star, Luke Hodge ... forever a champion, still got it all....and more* (later in post)

We definitely are still rebuilding the list and very much middle of the road side atm. Our best like in the 1st quater is encouraging even very good, but our worst is absolutely horrid.
Tom Mitchells absence is so badly missed as well as Big Boy lately in the ruck. Our midfield atm just doesn't cut it, not enough depth. I honestly believe we need at least 2 more quality mids, thats even if we got Cogs, which i don't think we will. Then there's our forward structures and entries which look more like chook lotto atm.
So these are my thoughts of some of the players who I watched closely last night ...

Silk ... Please play on for as long as you want. Never stops giving his all.
Sicily ... Just play footy son, forget the s**t, can be elite in all senses, up to him. You're not Dermie mk2
Frawley ... Don't understand why he cops so much angst on here. He wasn't great but he was solid most of the night.
Hardwick ... Love the intensity of this bloke, hard at it. Wonder if he could be better used more in the play upfield. Guess the answer could be finding someone else to fill his shoes back there.
Scully ... steal, probably still learning our systems but ran all night linking up and chasing
O'Meara ... In everything early, tackled well, chased hard. Lacked support and faded.
Smith ... one of my fav players but also can be as frustrating as f**k. Not sure what's going on but he's such a vital cog for us when we're up and about.
Worpel ... Everywhere i looked around the contest last night the no.5 was there. He's still young and learning, but we have a gem here, just needs Sammy to keep polishing it. Really impressed me with his run and workrate, not everything went well but you can see the future.
Glass ... sorry don't see it. Got to some nice positions but his decision making was slow and indecisive.
Breust ... Sorry but from what i saw last night this guy needs a serious kick up the arse. We all know his best is sublime and he's one of the best small forwards in the game. But he's extremely lazy sometimes or not switched on and involved. Three times in the 3rd qtr tonight he was within 10m of the contest right in front of me and was literally standing contest and ball watching. Great player for us but drifts out of the game way too much for the skill he posesses.
Puopolo ... Love the poppy but was really sad seeing Hodgey toy with him in marking contests and then trying to fly against 3 defenders from our bombing in. Sadly, i think his time is nigh.
Cousins ... Nice goal, work in progress..think he can make it.
Sheils ... never stops trying, no influence though.
Impey ... In everything early, loved his attack on the ball and speed away from the contest, great pickup, injured later ?
Hendo ... Didn't seem to have his usual run tonight. Can't complain though he's been one of our most consistent this season.
Lewis ... Should of just drop punted it through. Still young and learning but I liked most of what I saw. Encouraging.
Pittonet ... Watched him closely, actually thought his tapwork at center bounces and around the boundary wasn't that bad. Crashed the packs in marking contests with the Lions big boys at least providing a real contest. He's a big lump of a lad too. Obviously needs to build a tank to be effective around the ground, noticed also he didn't mind roughing it up with them when needed. Still young and imo there's a bit to work with there.
Gunston ... OK I understand all this role stuff but seriously the guy kicks 6 one week then we rarely sight him. He's argueably one of the best full fwds in the league. Stop robbing peter to play paul and play him there. Our fwd entries look 1000% better when we have a REAL target to kick too. Leads up beautifully as a target. I believe imo thats one reason why his goal kicking accuracy has dropped as well.

Came away after the game a little disappointed but in reality I only missed their winning margin by 4 pts. I think they will play finals this year and we definitely won't be.

Just for thoughts... a 2020 forward structure of Breust Sicily Wingard
Lewis Gunston _______ ?

Yeah this.

Whether it’s Cogs or someone else we think has some upside who is currently not getting a good run at it....we just need to bat deeper in the middle.

There’s quite a few midfielders who are behind established players who might just jump for opportunity.

I reckon that’s where we look for immediate impact to the list(understanding that we also have some FS and Academy kids who in the works).

We should be moving heaven and earth for Sier, absolutely criminal a guy like him can’t play senior footy #Midseasontradesplease

Breust can't be sucked into too many contests. He neuters his key attributes when he goes ball hunting. He position himself as he is coached to try to take advantage of a spilled ball from a contest.

If we can snare Cogs, and Mitchell back, it's transformed.

Cogs is so critical.

Titch - Elite
Cogs - Elite
Omera - Vgood
Worpel - Vgood (progression)
Shiels - Good
Scully - Good
Henderson - Good
Cousins - Good (progression)

Changes us from leagues worst to top 3-4, perfect age demographic to

Titch - Elite
Cogs - Elite
Omera - Vgood
Shiels - Good
Scully - Good
Henderson - Good

You get Cogs and add Mitch in there and JOM becomes elite too. The butterfly effect.

Titch - Elite
Cogs - Elite
Omera - Vgood
Shiels - Good
Scully - Good
Henderson - Good

Jeez that would be huge, could also see Jaeger take that next step to elite as well if he was 3rd in line for attention. He would have games where he gets completely off the leash.

Pittonet is not an AFL standard ruck. I don’t care how many tackles per game he averages. He is too slow and offers nothing around the ground and he cannot take a mark.

Glass isn’t going to make it as a midfielder and should be playing at Box Hill.
Yep, love his effort but Archie Smith completely obliterated him last night. I'd give him a year as a backup ruckman but I'd be very surprised if any club saw him as a regular AFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, love his effort but Archie Smith completely obliterated him last night. I'd give him a year as a backup ruckman but I'd be very surprised if any club saw him as a regular AFL player.

Archie Smith a legitimate donut to... realistically Pitt shouldn’t be on our list.

Yeah this.

Gotta be careful, this is fast becoming called ‘doing a Carlton’ and not sure you want anything to do with that club

Was the wrong game to play two rucks. Pittonet cannot impact forward. We got smacked around the contest and needed more run.

I remain disappointed Moore was dropped after his best game of AFL. He should have played last night.

On another note, it's an indictment that Worpel is one of our most consistent players week in week out. Gunston, Smith, Breust and Stratton have not filled the leadership void we lost. The reality is, they are all guns, but you can't build a side around these guys. They are best being top 10, but not top 5 players of our club

Last edited:
Gotta be careful, this is fast becoming called ‘doing a Carlton’ and not sure you want anything to do with that club
Not sure how Carlton have any relevance to be honest.

Every club trades for players.

I’m not convinced that adding Mitch and say cogs will magically push up back up the ladder.

We had a pretty strong 22 (only two outs) and lions were coming off a tough game in Perth and they controlled the game other than the first 10-15 mins.

We have issues at both ends of the ground (and depth) and a lot of senior players who are stagnating at best, but more so on the decline.

There’s a good chance we won’t have Burgoyne, Frawley, Puopolo, Stratton and big boy in two years time (and possibly one). Smith, breust and Gunston have been struggling for fitness/form while hendo is 31 at seasons end and shiels has a lot of miles on him.

We’re also not really playing a lot of youth - no more (and probably less) than most teams. Although not much at box hill to try out so we’re stuck in no mans land at present.

Wingard 3rd or 4th soft tissue injury also has to be a massive concern. As his is lack of impact. Maybe there’s a reason port didn’t play him in the middle...

Been supporting my beloved Hawks for over 50 yrs now. There's been many, many good times over that journey. Living in Brisbane I don't get to see the boys play very much, so off to The Gabba I go with my son (Lions supporter) and grandson (Hawks supporter) hoping for a gutsy hard fought win although knowing Brisbane has the wood on us after last year. I don't post much anymore, couldn't be bothered going back and forward with some know it alls on here.
Anyway here's my take on last night, started off sooo well and then aghhhhh so painful. Also had an interesting seat positioned only second row back on the end right beside the Lions bench. Was very very interesting, a few things I'll share later.

Harris Andrews ... Can we clone this guy absolute star, Luke Hodge ... forever a champion, still got it all....and more* (later in post)

We definitely are still rebuilding the list and very much middle of the road side atm. Our best like in the 1st quater is encouraging even very good, but our worst is absolutely horrid.
Tom Mitchells absence is so badly missed as well as Big Boy lately in the ruck. Our midfield atm just doesn't cut it, not enough depth. I honestly believe we need at least 2 more quality mids, thats even if we got Cogs, which i don't think we will. Then there's our forward structures and entries which look more like chook lotto atm.
So these are my thoughts of some of the players who I watched closely last night ...

Silk ... Please play on for as long as you want. Never stops giving his all.
Sicily ... Just play footy son, forget the ****, can be elite in all senses, up to him. You're not Dermie mk2
Frawley ... Don't understand why he cops so much angst on here. He wasn't great but he was solid most of the night.
Hardwick ... Love the intensity of this bloke, hard at it. Wonder if he could be better used more in the play upfield. Guess the answer could be finding someone else to fill his shoes back there.
Scully ... steal, probably still learning our systems but ran all night linking up and chasing
O'Meara ... In everything early, tackled well, chased hard. Lacked support and faded.
Smith ... one of my fav players but also can be as frustrating as f**k. Not sure what's going on but he's such a vital cog for us when we're up and about.
Worpel ... Everywhere i looked around the contest last night the no.5 was there. He's still young and learning, but we have a gem here, just needs Sammy to keep polishing it. Really impressed me with his run and workrate, not everything went well but you can see the future.
Glass ... sorry don't see it. Got to some nice positions but his decision making was slow and indecisive.
Breust ... Sorry but from what i saw last night this guy needs a serious kick up the arse. We all know his best is sublime and he's one of the best small forwards in the game. But he's extremely lazy sometimes or not switched on and involved. Three times in the 3rd qtr tonight he was within 10m of the contest right in front of me and was literally standing contest and ball watching. Great player for us but drifts out of the game way too much for the skill he posesses.
Puopolo ... Love the poppy but was really sad seeing Hodgey toy with him in marking contests and then trying to fly against 3 defenders from our bombing in. Sadly, i think his time is nigh.
Cousins ... Nice goal, work in progress..think he can make it.
Sheils ... never stops trying, no influence though.
Impey ... In everything early, loved his attack on the ball and speed away from the contest, great pickup, injured later ?
Hendo ... Didn't seem to have his usual run tonight. Can't complain though he's been one of our most consistent this season.
Lewis ... Should of just drop punted it through. Still young and learning but I liked most of what I saw. Encouraging.
Pittonet ... Watched him closely, actually thought his tapwork at center bounces and around the boundary wasn't that bad. Crashed the packs in marking contests with the Lions big boys at least providing a real contest. He's a big lump of a lad too. Obviously needs to build a tank to be effective around the ground, noticed also he didn't mind roughing it up with them when needed. Still young and imo there's a bit to work with there.
Gunston ... OK I understand all this role stuff but seriously the guy kicks 6 one week then we rarely sight him. He's argueably one of the best full fwds in the league. Stop robbing peter to play paul and play him there. Our fwd entries look 1000% better when we have a REAL target to kick too. Leads up beautifully as a target. I believe imo thats one reason why his goal kicking accuracy has dropped as well.

Came away after the game a little disappointed but in reality I only missed their winning margin by 4 pts. I think they will play finals this year and we definitely won't be.

Just for thoughts... a 2020 forward structure of Breust Sicily Wingard
Lewis Gunston _______ ?

Yes, it's disappointing when you get so few opportunities to see your side play in the flesh. I recall a few years ago, in the Football Park days, the Hawks always seemed to save their absolute worst for when they came to Adelaide. There was one game in 1995 where we were up by something like 5-11 to 0-1 and we ended up losing. That was the day McLeod kicked the winner just before the siren. Then there was that horrible day in 2005 when Power thrashed us by 117 points. Still trying to get over that one :)

I pretty much agree with most of your assessments. I've never been one to knock individual Hawks players but the Glass experiment has me beaten. He just doesn't convince me that he's ever going to develop into an AFL player. Seems to lack too much in the fundamentals of the game and there are players running around the SANFL who would be better options.

Also agree with your assessments of Sicily, Breust and Gunston. It worries me that we don't play Gunston in the square for a lot more than we do. Last week against Port was the first time I've really noticed all the puzzling things Sicily is doing right now. I recall sitting there thinking "what on earth is he trying to do?" Not sure what's going on there.

You should post more often, that was a good read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back