Running/Fitness Semi-Pro/Amateur Fitness Standards

Remove this Banner Ad

Fat2footy

Draftee
May 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does any one have any information on the expectations the state league footy clubs (VFL, WAFL etc) have on their players? Like bare minimum 2/3km time trial, beep test, 50m sprint etc?

Does any one have any information on the expectations the state league footy clubs (VFL, WAFL etc) have on their players? Like bare minimum 2/3km time trial, beep test, 50m sprint etc?

It definitely won’t include a beep test or 50m sprint but I can ask the guy I play with that’s at Casey if they did/do any testing.
I know he talked a lot about what he was clocking on the GPS so it's entirely possible they use that as their "expectation" benchmark.

Last edited:
wouldn't be far lower than afl so you'd want to be aiming for a sub 3sec 20m sprint and a 2kms in 6 - 7mins-ish + adequate body comp scores but even then i'd think the vfl recruit more on actual football talent then athletic talent in my opinion

wouldn't be far lower than afl so you'd want to be aiming for a sub 3sec 20m sprint and a 2kms in 6 - 7mins-ish + adequate body comp scores but even then i'd think the vfl recruit more on actual football talent then athletic talent in my opinion

I think you'll find VFL has a wider range on the athleticism:talent spectrum than the AFL.
From what I gathered talking to the guy at my club the top athletic guys at Casey were beating all the Melbourne listed players on km covered at training, top running speeds etc while the most traditional "footballers" on the VFL list were the worst athletes.
He's also never had his skin folds or body comp tested.

I mean the vfl draft/recruit more on footballing skills then athletic skills as they don't quite have the room/coaches/resources for development as they do at the top level hence why they bring in a lot of tac players now - they already know how to play and they all they have to do is work fitness/.strength etc which in the end is pretty easy to do with committed players...body comp probably isn't tested but if you look fat then they'll definitely mention it to you in not so nice words!

Unless you were at least some sort of an outside long shot of being drafted into the AFL I dunno why anyone would bother playing at WAFL level long term these days with all the commitment involved along with holding down a 40 hour a week job to pay the bills. You would be better off playing ammos for fun or going out bush to earn some decent coin for a fraction of the amount of training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back