Brad's assessment discussion - Rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Prefer he takes Terry Wallace's job in the media.

Carey isn't good enough at absolving himself of all blame. I like Terry the GameDay strategist, but he has NFI when it comes to list build, depth charts etc. Literally no idea.

I'd be happy if we traded out blokes who are good but not great. Essentially list cloggers.

Macmillan, Turner, Dumont, Tyson.

We might get a couple of 2nd rounders, which we could package up to move up the draft. The real benefit is opening us spots for talented kids to come through.

Out of our 'guns' only Goldy for a low 2nd make any sense in the event of finishing bottom 4 and us receiving that as compo.

Keep Garner and Jacobs, we are pot commited.

If a club is hoping for a list that any given moment is bereft of key defenders with 50-100 games in the 20-25yo bracket or small crumbing forwards or outside players, then he's definitely the man for the job.

Have not been able to figure out yr position on this....
Are you saying the dear departed coach was no good because the list was unbalanced
And he was responsible for that

Scott, in hindsight, was crazy brave in Rnd 1 playing 8 or so New Players
Got hammered and then had a decimated back line with Williams and EVW plus daw also Ando out for a few weeks
And lol and behold, after 10 weeks the team starts to gel a bit LDU and Jy baby finally get a kick Wood actually does something bb stops pooncing around and zurhaar metamorphoses into a X between Cyril and Stevo
Who knew

Have not been able to figure out yr position on this....
Are you saying the dear departed coach was no good because the list was unbalanced
And he was responsible for that

Scott, in hindsight, was crazy brave in Rnd 1 playing 8 or so New Players
Got hammered and then had a decimated back line with Williams and EVW plus daw also Ando out for a few weeks
And lol and behold, after 10 weeks the team starts to gel a bit LDU and Jy baby finally get a kick Wood actually does something bb stops pooncing around and zurhaar metamorphoses into a X between Cyril and Stevo
Who knew
Who knew that Larkey, Zurhaar and TT would work well in the forward line with BBB? Well there are a number of posts suggesting this during the preseason and early rounds of this season by a good number of posters on here.

Bard was set in his ways ... must play JZ forward...Tom Campbell is the man to support BBB...Turner is our best small forward....in hindsight he is proving to be horribly wrong across a number of areas. A real shame for the side this year - we may have been in the 8 now with a more 'flexible' coach from the outset.

Who knew that Larkey, Zurhaar and TT would work well in the forward line with BBB? Well there are a number of posts suggesting this during the preseason and early rounds of this season by a good number of posters on here.

Bard was set in his ways ... must play JZ forward...Tom Campbell is the man to support BBB...Turner is our best small forward....in hindsight he is proving to be horribly wrong across a number of areas. A real shame for the side this year - we may have been in the 8 now with a more 'flexible' coach from the outset.

The team that played so well and with such commitment on Friday night was essentially still Brad's team. There was only so much that Shaw could do in a week although it does appear that the things he did do, like backing LDU to play his natural game, were all right. Given the team was able to play so well on Friday night with just a few subtle tweaks in some ways only highlights how Brad's stubbornness in all the ways we have talked about was stopping him from becoming a very good coach, and North from being a genuinely competitive team.

But Scotts was "Crazy Brave". :stern look

The team that played so well and with such commitment on Friday night was essentially still Brad's team. There was only so much that Shaw could do in a week although it does appear that the things he did do, like backing LDU to play his natural game, were all right. Given the team was able to play so well on Friday night with just a few subtle tweaks in some ways only highlights how Brad's stubbornness in all the ways we have talked about was stopping him from becoming a very good coach, and North from being a genuinely competitive team.

Yeah nah, it's not the same team, same personal but different attitude and a significant structural change. No more 7th defender.

Yes. Sometimes selecting LDU, for example, is not the same thing as playing him in positions and with instructions that see him making a real sustained impact in a game. We talked about selection a lot because it’s simpler, but the very different game played by an unchanged side says a lot. (And I’m not suggesting shaw invented hunting the opposition - North was great at that against the Dogs and also the Crows - but so many other things were immediately different this week.)

Yeah nah, it's not the same team, same personal but different attitude and a significant structural change. No more 7th defender.

We need to keep in mind why we had the structure different, to stop the run ons we suffered from time and time again. Perhaps some stronger runners in the guts with the likes of Simpkin stepping up, Jed back ect has alleviated some of that.

The key difference between what I saw on Friday and what was seen previously under Brad was watching just how synchronised we were with the ball. We just looked for options proactively rather than follow a sequential system.

When the pressure was thrown back at us, we upped our physicality. We went harder. The desperation was absolutely sensational.

Previously, we let opposition get to us.

Totally different team on that night. Totally different.

I think at one point, we were so dominant and had so much adrenaline, we ran forward too quick for our forwards to react lol.

The team has so much untapped potential, it's not funny.

So I take it you weren’t there at last yrs game v tiggers
Exciting game team played xclnt footy
Just after we had the Hawks 11 goals to 3 at half time
Creamed GWS

you are just rewriting history to say Scott cannot coach

He had issues
Don’t we all

Creamed GWS

He had issues
Don’t we all
I don't think anyone is saying 'he can't coach' - history has shown he can't coach ...to achieve sustained success.

He had some great moments - like the ones you mention - but ultimately he had 10 years of overall mediocrity - and that is the only way to judge his output.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's far from "petty" discussion.

Getting a new coach is the biggest thing that has happened to us in last couple of years.

Of course there's a "correct answer".

Scott had to be sacked, and surprisingly, was. We move on.

Creamed GWS

He had issues
Don’t we all

Of course.

The challenge for Shaw is to have them display this effort every week.

We can lose and do that.

Under Brad we'd become the girl with the curl.

If a club is hoping for a list that any given moment is bereft of key defenders with 50-100 games in the 20-25yo bracket or small crumbing forwards or outside players, then he's definitely the man for the job.
The idea to bring him back to North in another capacity, would be a disaster waiting to happen. He will find a place at another club.

Rebuild? List not good enough? Nonsense.

Top 5 in the comp players at their position:

Tarrant
Brown
Cunnington
Higgins
Jacobs (when fit)

We supposedly had two of 2018's top rated wingmen in Polec and Dumont, according to a stat they posted during the Freo match in round 1.

We have young forwards: Larkey, Zurhaar, Thomas. Wood is finding form.

We have a fairly solid defence, with Williams being AA squad at his best, and Jasper matching him this year.

Anderson is a tackling machine and currently rated top 30 in the comp.

Ziebell on 2018 form could be anything as a mid sized forward-mid hybrid.

Goldy is a very solid ruck option.

Simpkin is starting to really have an influence on matches.

We are nowhere near as bad as Brad, Duck, Wallace or any list management pundit would have you believe.

Friday night was just a taste of what we are capable of with the right game plan and attitude.

We don't need a rebuild. We need to keep an eye on deficiencies and work to improve them, but a rebuild is just nonsense. We are ready to contend as of the back half of this year and moving into next year.

Creamed GWS

He had issues
Don’t we all
If I were another club I’d be pulling the check book out for him in a Neil Balme type role. Scott would shine as a director of football.

Brad and the team were Absolutely Diabolically bad interstate

Our record v other Melb teams was fantastic, and incredibly enjoyable for yrs

And we got thrashed in a lot of Big Games when the footy world expected us to do better....
Which is why a lot of our players are considered flaky
Coach too

Happy to see him go
Last extension was a Bad Thing
7/10

Carey isn't good enough at absolving himself of all blame. I like Terry the GameDay strategist, but he has no idea when it comes to list build, depth charts etc. Literally no idea.

I'd be happy if we traded out blokes who are good but not great. Essentially list cloggers.

Macmillan, Turner, Dumont, Tyson.

We might get a couple of 2nd rounders, which we could package up to move up the draft. The real benefit is opening us spots for talented kids to come through.

Out of our 'guns' only Goldy for a low 2nd make any sense in the event of finishing bottom 4 and us receiving that as compo.

Keep Garner and Jacobs, we are pot commited.

Good luck with getting anybody to trade for MacMillan, Turner or Tyson.

It's far from "petty" discussion.

Getting a new coach is the biggest thing that has happened to us in last couple of years.

Of course there's a "correct answer".

Scott had to be sacked, and surprisingly, was. We move on.

I agree the discussion about a new coach is a big thing.

The battle as to who is right about Scott's career being good bad or indifferent and people rubbishing eachother etc is Petty.

I agree it was time for a new coach but only time will tell us if it was a correct move. We could be worse for ten years for all we know.

I agree it was time for a new coach but only time will tell us if it was a correct move. We could be worse for ten years for all we know.

Oh, of course.

Shaw could crash and burn, new coach next year even worse etc. Who knows.

But that doesn't mean the change of coach in itself, was absolutely correct and necessary.

How it plays out is an entirely different discussion.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back