Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I took the wife out shopping this arvo and was rudely interrupted by a google message telling me the blues had lost by 41 points..So did you all enjoy it?

Agreed with HBF. None of us are.

I was fired on Friday despite going back to work two months before I was medically cleared and having them admit that the campaign that I just ran for them achieved twice the industry benchmarks were concerned. Then this crap today.

This weekend is the very definition of hell in a hand basket.
Feel ya I’m unemployed for the first time ever myself after quitting my new job for being bullied.

I feel exactly the same way. My 9 year old son just said to me “I don’t think I can follow Carlton anymore, I’m sick of being teased at school”. What this club has become is heart breaking...and not just for 9 year olds!
My 7 year old has shown so much interest in watching the footy with me this year. And bless his heart he loves the Blues, although he doesn’t really know any players names except Murph. I didnt even tell him the game was on today but he caught me watching on my phone and was so excited to come over and see the score. He just walked away with his head down and didn’t say anything. That was only in the second quarter hahaha. I had thought of taking him on a special trip to Melbourne to see us play at the G against Adelaide, but I really feel it will do more damage than good at this stage.

Port Adelaide / Primus comes to mind too.

No idea if getting a new coach / coaching group will fix anything .. maybe it is the players? But the club has been driven into a corner now by these performances. It simply has to act ... we have 2020 to worry about and their are three main groups we need to sell hope to:

1) Members
2) Existing players
3) Players we hope to lure through trade /

Unfortunately there are only 2 ways to generate hope from where we are at. One would be winning/improvement but that isn't happening. The other is change.

Yes, there is no doubt the "any change is good change" movement is gaining momentum, especially on these boards. I still think Bolton is carrying the can disproportionately for the performances of the players as a group, and while coaching is a part of that, it might not be a major part. Particularly when we were pretty happy with this same coach and these same players against the Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Collingwood, not that long ago.

We have massive issues of confidence with the ball in hand - no-one feels able to take the game on, it makes us stagnant, and so many of our problems stem from this. We still have boys playing against men, even against a depleted Essendon today. And we don't get enough from our senior players (such as they were today), we practically never do. In contrast, Essendon's seniors were superb, Heppell and Hooker seemed to win it at will, and use it to advantage.

We lack experience, which really hurt us in Q2 when it mattered. Bad enough that we were struggling to win the ball; much worse that when we did get it, we persisted with short kicks to contests. Have to be smarter than that. I did think the workrate was there, for the most part - McKay in particular worked hard for front position, but we repeatedly burnt him when he was in dangerous spots. And in general, we were just too easily knocked off the ball, our tackles were shaken, and we couldn't shake theirs. Same story as most weeks, last year and this, but hard to pin on Bolton with the list Silvagni has given him.

Plus a lot of dumb football. I love Cripps as much as anyone, but at some point today (ideally before half-time), he needed to realise that nothing good was happening at the fall of the ball in the stoppage, for either side. The damage was being done by players sitting five metres off the pack, usually on the defensive side. Essendon had Heppell camped there and he put on a clinic; our numbers were sucked into the scrimmage. Again and again. Even when it spilled out on our defensive side, we rarely had anyone there to win the ball and push it forward. It was just dumb.

No doubt some of it is coaching. Boundary throw-ins, even in Canberra I could see Bellchambers tapping it over the back to a runner headed straight for goal... yet all our stoppage players were boundary side. We need to be able to adapt, but seemingly we just can't. Maybe Bolton has lost the players. But I put that on the players as much as Bolton.

@soap
Half way through the season and I've been to 8 games live.

Every time I see boys against men. The difference is stark. Especially around the middle. Opposition now know if they target Cripps heavily we are in big trouble. Cripps today wasn't only tagged but hit from everywhere and no one helped him. No one blocks or heavily takes out a player. Not good enough. What is also an issue is the more mature players in Curnow Lang Plowman Fasolo, Newmans ball use were poor. Makes it bloody hard

The talent is there but it desperately needs help especially on ball. Very disappointed in Kennedy today.

One player I have nearly had enough of is Plowman. His positioning and lack of physicality is poor. I don't think he is a very good defender. Needs to go back to 2's and tried in another role. He's a mature player and doesn't do enough and makes too many mistakes and gets beaten way too often.

Positives: I liked SPS off HB. Stocker showing his class. Defence lead by Weitering did a good job despite midfield struggles. Setterfield just needs fitness. Walsh, Kruezer good

Still the slowest player in the AFL. Cant be that slow, kick that poorly and tackle so poorly and be an AFL player.
Doubt he will make it. at least he is a far off it as anyone right now

we can't string 2 passes together because the players don't know where to run to get into positions to receive the ball.

our skills are terrible because the bloke kicking it has so few options

The best example of a team playing in perfect harmony where players were allowed to play on instinct because they could trust their teammates is the Geelong team of the late 00s. They didn’t hesitate for a moment and consequently were always one step ahead of their opponents.

The Carlton players could probably benefit from not reviewing today’s debacle and instead just watch a few Geelong games and learn from the masters. See what good football actually looks like.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even more media and ex players will be ripping into our rotting corpse this week. Caro, Hutchy, Barrett etc will be feasting on whats left this week.
I'm sure Whately won't miss a chance to have a crack at us today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I need to whipper snip my front yard.

Cut my new pool cover to size.

Put up the netting on the kids trampoline.

I'm doing a partial renovation on my bathroom.

Wash the dogs.

Hang some pictures.

Put together some flat pack furniture.

Clean and detail my second car and sell it.

So much to do. It's going to take my next 12 weekends.

How about you?
I suggest you give away any devices that allow contact with the outside world. Just to be safe and to get all that work done.

Bolton position is untenable now, but I'd rather they coach themselves than have Barker as caretaker...
Surely we could get someone else as the caretaker coach. Anyone but bloody Barker.

Lang,Kennedy and Fasolo were putrid as were a lot of others but unfortunately they look like being culled,Kennedy very disappointing.Unfortunately there is nothing in the twos pushing up.

I suggest you give away any devices that allow contact with the outside world. Just to be safe and get all that work done.

Smashing idea that. I'm pretty sure I could moderate this place telepathically anyway.

Feel ya I’m unemployed for the first time ever myself after quitting my new job for being bullied.
I know how you feel. Left my previous job because I was bullied as well. Took me a little while to find another job, but couldn't work at that joint a minute longer.

Couldn’t ascertain what our game plan was today.

If anyone else was at the game today, who managed to work out what we were trying to do, could you please enlighten me.

Thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at the game and our game plan is.... get ball kick to boundary line, don’t take a risk, don’t do anything. 50
Inside 50s for four goals. No wonder when they come in the flank on the 50 we can’t do anything.

We have big problems, coaching, development and the recruiting is starting to look more miss than hit in many cases (could be coaching and development here). This rebuild is a disaster at the moment.

I know how you feel. Left my previous job because I was bullied as well. Took me a little while to find another job, but couldn't work at that joint a minute longer.

Good to hear you found your feet.. I’m 2 weeks in and mentally scarred.. rejected a job last week as after a bit of research found out some stuff that spooked me off their culture as well. It’s the second time in 20 years I’ve had this type of experience at work and what I kick myself with is that I had another job offer the same time that would see me involved with the sporting industry but I rejected that as I thought this particular job would be better for me in the long run.

Lang,Kennedy and Fasolo were putrid as were a lot of others but unfortunately they look like being culled,Kennedy very disappointing.Unfortunately there is nothing in the twos pushing up.
kennedy was getting a game in the GWS midfield in 2017 at their peak alongside ward, coniglio, whitfield, shiel, kelly. it's astonishing that he's not best 22 at our club who apparently have the worst midfield of all time

Well today I got to lie down on my mum's couch while she and my stepdad entertained the toddler, then they cooked me a roast (lamb AND pork!), made a homemade dessert, and they did all the clean up. A jolly good day!

Sounds like a lovely day. Good for you Mebby.

Back