Review R11 v Saints - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Farrell reminds me a bit of how Amon was when he first started. Not really committed to anything, just floating around doing whatever. 'Oh hey, I've marked the ball...I'll just kick this goal....yep....'

He doesn't have the intensity just yet. Which is odd, because you'd think with Dixon to come back into the side you'd be making every post a winner as a small forward.
Motlop is the same honestly, just knows how to find the ball.

Jeez that’s unlucky. Such an innocuous incident. Poor bugger.
Yeah, I almost thought it was lucky it was the other leg to the one he already had hacked into, but maybe compensating with the good leg stresses it and made it more susceptible. Tough result.

Maybe Farrell has just figured out he's a small forward in a Hinkley system.

OFFICIAL AFL crowd 9412

It's unfortunate the TV cameras focus on the most open part of the ground which is fodder for the naysayers. Plus there are the marquees behind the stands with big screens that are not visible during the telecast.

In any case, there will never be crowds hanging from the rafters.

Even if there was an improbable 20,000 attending, the same crap would emerge.

Don’t get me wrong he played well today. His ball use was much better.

He normally goes sideways and short with his disposal. We already have enough players in our backline who like to do that. Personally I think we can only afford to play two genuine talk defenders which are clurey and Jonas. The other four positions are for genuine half backs who are prepared to move it on quickly ie Houston, burton, Hartlett and Bonner:

Assuming you meant to type `tall' defenders, neither of Clurey or Jonas are really tall, particularly TJ, who is only about 189 cm.
Even though he is showing a lot of promise as a forward I suspect Doogs will have to be moved back into defence against the bigger strong marking teams to get the match ups right.

It's unfortunate the TV cameras focus on the most open part of the ground which is fodder for the naysayers. Plus there are the marquees behind the stands with big screens that are not visible during the telecast.

It is a problem
And it doesn’t look good on TV
There must be a way of getting those seats filled

I was going to suggest to the club that the club video guy they send over should have a back pack camera that is broadcast quality and feeds into Fox Footy's coverage and he goes wondering around the marquees and other areas were the crowds are and feeds those pictures into the coverage as well as at the quarter breaks.

Last edited:
Assuming you meant to type `tall' defenders, neither of Clurey or Jonas are really tall, particularly TJ, who is only about 189 cm.
Even though he is showing a lot of promise as a forward I suspect Doogs will have to be moved back into defence against the bigger strong marking teams to get the match ups right.
Yeah I was meant to type tall.

I’d try Burton first under your scenario before moving Dougal.

Last edited:
That was pretty good. Not entirely convinced that it changes much how we're going long term, but:

- Howard's marking absolutely sensational. Ok, that's me convinced play him forward.
- Jesus it's good to have Duursma, Rozee & Butters. All terrific again today as they have been all year.
- Amon really stood out in a good way today, well done.
- Boak really is having an immense year. One of the best players in the comp.
- Excellent to see Gray look back like himself even if for the most part schooling a couple of young kids in the opposition. Dominant.
- Burton is and has been good for us, but geez his kicking today was way off.
- Motlop frustrates, but he does add something intangible that few can claim
- I've been a Bonner sceptic, but that was the best game I've seen him play and if continues at that standard he'll be one heck of an AFL footballer
- Robbie Young instead of Sam Gray, Farrell, any of our other small mid forwards? Just no. Good luck to the guy, but anyone criticising our recruitment for "missing him" is full of ****

Tempered of course by the Saints having a very visible 'mare, but genuinely refreshing to see such dominance.

Houston in the middle was a revelation. Didn't think he'd have that sort of impact through the middle. Looked a natural.

Howard up forward was very good. Attacked everything really well. Was good to see Robbie back in form. Boaky just keeps going. Duursma was great. Butters had his best game in the last 4-5. Bonner with the floodbusters was really impressive.

Good performance all up.

Yeah, nah... Sam is a long way from the drop zone!
Yeh Motlop still looks most vulnerable but he was better today. Still not great. Even watching live today I found him a little selfish if not greedy a few times. I guess he is playing desperate to remain in the 22 atm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farrel is young. He's going to have games where he doesn't do much. The fact he still kicked 2 goals was nice.

Yeh Motlop still looks most vulnerable but he was better today. Still not great. Even watching live today I found him a little selfish if not greedy a few times. I guess he is playing desperate to remain in the 22 atm
He's a good player that performs awesomely here n there, but more often than not is completely ******* average.

Don’t get me wrong he played well today. His ball use was much better.

He normally goes sideways and short with his disposal. We already have enough players in our backline who like to do that. Personally I think we can only afford to play two genuine talk defenders which are clurey and Jonas. The other four positions are for genuine half backs who are prepared to move it on quickly ie Houston, burton, Hartlett and Bonner:
Fair reasons.

Good to see us play well on a dry day, kick straight and get away with playing the way we want to play.

After record heat wave over the preseason and reasonable weather during the weeks for training we have played in the rain and wind in Rd 2 Carlton, Rd 4 Richmond, Rd 5 WCE, Rd 8 crows Rd 9 GC, and Rd 10 Hawks. Rd 6 game at AO against North was a slippery night and even the Rd 3 game against Brisbane the humidity and heavy dew affected our ball handling. I've said before I don't think we play well in the wet and with a slippery ball.

So the game against Melbourne, under the roof against Collingwood and today was perfect conditions.

There were less fumbles and bumbles and stumbles than we have seen most games this year.

Wont happen too often but the first quarter started as a shoot out and the Saints didn't try and shut us down Clarko, Pyke or Ross Lyon style. Whilst I though we were playing better in the first half we had a bit of luck. We kicked straight 12.3 and they missed some easy set shots on goal. 9.6 vs 8.5 half time score was more like we have played this year missing easy goals and the oppo kicking relatively straight.

But we kept pushing hard and kicking straight. I can't remember the last time we kick 6 straight after half time. The last quarter we were a bit shagged and that's part of the reason why we kicked 4.4, with 1.3 from the last 4 scoring shot including Robbie missing 2 set shots.

Kicking straight changes everything. We averaged 60.2 inside 50's to the oppo's 49.3 before today. Today was 60 to 52. Before today we averaged kicking 11.5 goals and 12.5 behinds to the oppo's 11.7 goals and 8.9 behinds. Today it was 22.7 vs 9.15.

You can analyze our games to the nth degree, but given we are a territory side, its as simple as kick well we win, kick like s**t we lose.

So in simple terms both sides got about the same amount of forward territory as expected, we improved our 50/50 goal conversion to 75/25 and the oppo kicked poorly plus we stopped those easy goals out the back when the oppo are on the counter attack and they were restricted as to how much they scored.

Saints wilted a bit in the heat in the 2nd half and their goal kicking was affected especially in the last kicked 2.5 to our 4.4.

I don't know whether it was because they kicked 15 points or most kick ins Fox Footy showed kick ins from behind the goals but today I saw the real power of Lienert's kicking and the potential future of how we play.

Lienert after a point, usually gets to 15m from goal before he kicks it or with a bit of a block to the 20m mark and then can kick it 55m. So with Ryder and Lycett, Howard today and hopefully Dixon in a month's time we will have 4 good targets to go to, and if we keep our structure then the marker should have another decent marking target 50m up the line and we are up near our forward 50m arc.

Lienert, Burton and Houston's kicking makes us a dangerous side if we can get decent marking options and/or running forward options.

Amon, Bonner and Broadbent (maybe long run replaced by Hartlett) showed how useful they could be to the side if they get their kicking right. if they can kick well when the pressure is on, having 6 excellent kickers coming from defence and mid field makes us a more dangerous side.

Dixon is playing in the SANFL next week so it should be 4 games - 2 in the Maggies and 2 AFL games before he gets match condition. So play him deep at FF in those early games and Howard at CHF to do the up and down running. When Dixon gets back to his best then you swap Howard and Dixon between CHF roaming role and deep FF role. Howard showed today what we need Frampton and Marshall to become as KPF's. Hopefully we don't need him too often down back for the rest of the year. Play Hoff at CHB on the big bastards.

Last edited:
Hopefully some of the fringe players like Farrell, bonner, amon and some seniors can take some confidence out of their games today. Amon and bonner played really well, I didn't think I would ever say that. Once I growled at bonner today for not getting his body behind the ball but he was great after that. Impossible to compare today's team to last weeks. It's not entirely explainable by saying the saints were rubbish. Sometimes it's just a mental thing, confidence & belief (& tactics). Cahills teams believed they were invincible, so they were. Some of our players have started looking like losers lately and playing like it.
Good even spread of contributors, played like a team. Best forward work & entry all year. Defence was adventurous, rebounding well & taking the game on. Last week they made a few early mistakes and withdrew into their shell.
Bonner is actually bigger than I thought & his kicking a real weapon.
Duursma is a real find, Butters & rozzee look good but duursma has champ written all over him, barring injury he will be a 250 game player & star of the game. His kicking is a bit loose but improving and I have noticed he gets to, and impacts almost ever contest at critical/ pivotal moments of the game, today obviously wasn't close, but this kid is special. Even in the showdown he took a big mark in the death throes & could have won it. Star.
Good to see Robbie get some form back. I had a dream that I would see most of our senior players on the park, fit and in form one day but realise that is a pipe dream. now I am placing more faith in youth. Good on coaches for throwing the big men and around too, nothing ventured nothing gained

Good to see us play well on a dry day, kick straight and get away with playing the way we want to play.

After record heat wave over the preseason and reasonable weather during the weeks for training we have played in the rain and wind in Rd 2 Carlton, Rd 4 Richmond, Rd 5 WCE, Rd 8 crows Rd 9 GC, and Rd 10 Hawks. Rd 6 game at AO against North was a slippery night and even the Rd 3 game against Brisbane the humidity and heavy dew affected our ball handling. I've said before I don't think we play well in the wet and with a slippery ball.

So the game against Melbourne, under the roof against Collingwood and today was perfect conditions.

There were less fumbles and bumbles and stumbles than we have seen most games this year.

Wont happen too often but the first quarter started as a shoot out and the Saints didn't try and shut us down Clarko, Pyke or Ross Lyon style. Whilst I though we were playing better in the first half we had a bit of luck. We kicked straight 12.3 and they missed some easy set shots on goal. 9.6 vs 8.5 half time score was more like we have played this year missing easy goals and the oppo kicking relatively straight.

But we kept pushing hard and kicking straight. I can't remember the last time we kick 6 straight after half time. The last quarter we were a bit shagged and that's part of the reason why we kicked 4.4, with 1.3 from the last 4 scoring shot including Robbie missing 2 set shots.

Kicking straight changes everything. We averaged 60.2 inside 50's to the oppo's 49.3 before today. Today was 60 to 52. Before today we averaged kicking to the oppo's 11.5 goals and 12.5 behinds to the oppo's 11.7 goals and 8.9 behinds. Today it was 22.7 vs 9.15.

You can analyze our games to the nth degree, but given we are a territory side, its as simple as kick well we win, kick like **** we lose.

So in simple terms both sides got about the same amount of forward territory as expected, we improved our 50/50 goal conversion to 75/25 and the oppo kicked poorly plus we stopped those easy goals out the back when the oppo are on the counter attack and they were restricted as to how much they scored.

Saints wilted a bit in the 2nd half and their goal kicking was affected especially in the last kicked 2.5 to our 4.4.

I don't know whether it was because they kicked 15 points or most kick ins Fox Footy showed kick ins from behind the goals but today I saw the real power of Lienert's kicking and the potential future of how we play.

Lienert after a point, usually gets to 15m from goal before he kicks it or with a bit of a block to the 20m mark and then can kick it 55m. So with Ryder and Lycett, Howard today and hopefully Dixon in a month's time we will have 4 good targets to go to, and if we keep our structure then the marker should have another decent marking target 50m up the line and we are up near our forward 50m arc.

Lienert, Burton and Houston's kicking makes us a dangerous side if we can decent marking options and/or running forward options.

Amon, Bonner and Broadbent (maybe long run replaced by Hartlett) showed how useful they could be to the side if they get their kicking right. if they can kick well when the pressure is on, having 6 excellent kickers coming from defence and mid field makes us a more dangerous side.

Dixon is playing in the SANFL next week so it should be 4 games - 2 in the Maggies and 2 AFL games before he gets match condition. So play him deep at FF in those early games and Howard at CHF to do the up and down running. When Dixon gets back to his best then you swap Howard and Dixon between CHF roaming role and deep FF role. Howard showed today what we need Frampton and Marshall to become as KPF's. Hopefully we don't need him too often down back for the rest of the year. Play Hoff at CHB on the big bastards.

Terrific post
This spot on....Lienert, Burton and Houston's kicking makes us a dangerous side if we can

The current Wingard. what are we basing the current wingard off? the 5.5 games he's played coming off calf,hamstring,hamstring in a new team playing in a position that's not his best?

or the one that is already 2 time all australian and B+F????

lets trade Wines for Petrucelle next.
I mean, he did win those two AAs and BnF playing the position he is now, so let’s not get carried away with the “not his best position” talk.

He’ll pick up a bit no doubt, but worst case is looking like we break even on that trade

Duursma, Rozee and Butters contributed big games as well. They still make the odd stupid beginners mistake, but they don't drop their head and I can handle 1 each per game. Farrell has to do a bit more to stick around longer term. Sam Gray might struggle to stay in the 22 when we finally have no injuries, but at the moment he isn't going anywhere,

Amon and Bonner played the sort of attacking games and use their kicking skills like I have hoped for all year to do it over 4 quarters not just here and there.

Motlop was better.

I said on Friday that if Steele tags Boak out of the game we might be in trouble given no clearance kings of Wines, Rockliff and Ebert being out and thought Robbie would have to play in the guts. Both played in the guts, both got plenty of clearances, both got the ball all over the ground and were our best 2 players and I expect them to get 10 and 8 votes from the coaches or maybe 9 each.

Boak has got 5 brownlow votes from China games. Should have got 3 last year over SPP. Think it will be 8 at the end of the year.

Kicking straight changes everything. We averaged 60.2 inside 50's to the oppo's 49.3 before today. Today was 60 to 52. Before today we averaged kicking to the oppo's 11.5 goals and 12.5 behinds to the oppo's 11.7 goals and 8.9 behinds. Today it was 22.7 vs 9.15.

You can analyze our games to the nth degree, but given we are a territory side, its as simple as kick well we win, kick like **** we lose.

Saints wilted a bit in the 2nd half and their goal kicking was affected especially in the last kicked 2.5 to our 4.4.

Lienert, Burton and Houston's kicking makes us a dangerous side if we can decent marking options and/or running forward options.

Good point re weather, I have wanted to see Marshall on a fine day and am still waiting. It will be nice to have Hartlett back too. That first kick coming out of defence is so critical in modern footy & to have 4 elite kicks in defence will be a tactical advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back