Review Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah wouldnt be surprised if pav is just talking crap.

Barrass said himself on backchat this week that he is 3-4 weeks away from playing at least at WAFL level....

Yes, thought it was odd. We know he was on 8-9 weeks, but came back to 6 weeks in the latest injury report which indicates some progression! Who knows, Pav was rambling on for the sake of it. The bitterness evident as always 😂

Vardy isn't a first-string ruckman but if he can sustain that kind of effort I think he could/should be preferred to Hickey as second fiddle to Naitanui.

It'll be an interesting decision to see what Simmo will do when NN back and we have the choice of H or V.
It'll be a fight for the spot to play second fiddle. Could be rotated around, I guess they'll be put through the riguour, though Vardy is now in, Hickey will probably have to fight his way in and Vardy will have to maintain form.

Gotta love our side. Just oozing with talent in every section of the game. Lovely stuff.

It'll be an interesting decision to see what Simmo will do when NN back and we have the choice of H or V.
It'll be a fight for the spot to play second fiddle. Could be rotated around, I guess they'll be put through the riguour, though Vardy is now in, Hickey will probably have to fight his way in and Vardy will have to maintain form.

Gotta love our side. Just oozing with talent in every section of the game. Lovely stuff.
Vardy's ability to play as a tall forward gives us greater flexibility, releasing Allen and/or Waterman to play as a swingman if required. If Hickey isn't playing 70-80 per cent ruck time, not sure he brings enough to the table otherwise. Vardy as a pinch-hitter may be better value overall.

Hats off. What a display in the second half. I was overall pretty happy with how we played, which was weird considering we lost by 60 points haha.

Well done guys! Can we have one of your small forwards pls? Actually can we have 2?

Last week and this week, our 2nd halves have been enormous. Hopefully, it's a sign of our fitness, and of things to come with Nik Nat back in.

Vardy isn't a first-string ruckman but if he can sustain that kind of effort I think he could/should be preferred to Hickey as second fiddle to Naitanui.

Vardy was playing against a 21 year old, though, and it's not like he's been this consistent for a large part of the season. IMO Hickey has the upper hand, based on what he's done this year.

Vardy's ability to play as a tall forward gives us greater flexibility, releasing Allen and/or Waterman to play as a swingman if required. If Hickey isn't playing 70-80 per cent ruck time, not sure he brings enough to the table otherwise. Vardy as a pinch-hitter may be better value overall.

He hasn't exactly been effective up forward this year. When we had Lycett, Vardy and Nic available last year, we chose to go with Slyce and Nic over Vards. IMO I think we'll go the same way.

Vardy was playing against a 21 year old, though, and it's not like he's been this consistent for a large part of the season. IMO Hickey has the upper hand, based on what he's done this year.

He hasn't exactly been effective up forward this year. When we had Lycett, Vardy and Nic available last year, we chose to go with Slyce and Nic over Vards. IMO I think we'll go the same way.
How relevant is exposed form in 2019 once Naitanui is back? Hickey has been the better ruckman, no doubt, but he won't be holding down the ruck once Naitanui returns so it becomes a question, in part, of who offers more beyond the ruck duties.

Professionally done.

+ Jack Darling, break out game. Reward for a few very good weeks after a dismal start to the year
+ JAKE THE SNAKE
+ JK loves playing the Dogs
+ Yeo and Shuey terrific again
+ Loved Duggan’s game
+ Eagles after half time, elite. Simmo knows best campaigners.
+ Ryan, Cripps and Gaff work their asses off, it opens up so much for our movement
+ Clinical in front of goal, really nice
+ Traitorous I know, but I’m happy for that Gardner kid to kick a late goal

- Hurn injured?
- Tackling was off throughout despite threatening to be massively on early
- Couple cheap ones late a bit of a dampener
- Another week of premature melts. Sometimes two teams of professional athletes have to throw a few punches and counter punches before the better team pulls away. The lack of patience on here is always astonishing. Jack Darling scored more today than Carlton, just so we’re all on the same page of what an actual disappointment looks like.

8-3. Game clear in the top four. Played all of the top nine except Richmond. A big statement to be made at the SCG. Up the ******* Coasters.
Nice Post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was Pavlich that said that re: Barrass. Some sort of setback but from what he was waffling on about I took it as being weeks ago. His ability to cast a negative is amazing, this was when Healy was talking us up and saying he couldn’t believe we were 5th in flag betting.
You look at the difference between Pav (The soft Meringue) and Matthew Richardson. Both are passionate about their clubs but one is an absolute flog and one is a true and fair professional.

So I said it the game day thread.

We are coming out very strong in the second half of most games, and looking poor in the first half.

Are teams throwing everything at us in the first half, we weather the storm and then up a gear in the second half? Is it a tactical ploy?

How relevant is exposed form in 2019 once Naitanui is back? Hickey has been the better ruckman, no doubt, but he won't be holding down the ruck once Naitanui returns so it becomes a question, in part, of who offers more beyond the ruck duties.
I doubt that NN will be shouldering the majority of our ruck duties at any stage this season. At the peak of his powers he was only rucking 50-60% of the time, let alone with no match fitness.
I think we'll see him primarily as a deep forward who takes the forward 50 ruck contests and rotates into the centre square for bursts.
I'd take Hickey to pair with him.

I doubt that NN will be shouldering the majority of our ruck duties at any stage this season. At the peak of his powers he was only rucking 50-60% of the time, let alone with no match fitness.
I think we'll see him primarily as a deep forward who takes the forward 50 ruck contests and rotates into the centre square for bursts.
I'd take Hickey to pair with him.
If Naitanui is fit enough to be picked as first ruck, he's fit enough to be played accordingly.

There's little in Naitanui's career to suggest he's worth picking so he can play as a deep forward most of the game.

If Naitanui is fit enough to be picked as first ruck, he's fit enough to be played accordingly.

There's little in Naitanui's carrier to suggest he's worth picking so he can play as a deep forward most of the game.

Even at his absolute peak pre-knee surgery (the first time) his time on ground has always been around 70%. Dropped even lower following the first op.

We need a very competent ruck partner to pair with him when he returns.

Even at his absolute peak pre-knee surgery (the first time) his time on ground has always been around 70%. Dropped even lower following the first op.

We need a very competent ruck partner to pair with him when he returns.
Yeah, Hickey might still hold his spot over Vardy. Granted, that's an open question. But I doubt Naitanui is going to spend most of his game time playing out of the goal square.

So I said it the game day thread.

We are coming out very strong in the second half of most games, and looking poor in the first half.

Are teams throwing everything at us in the first half, we weather the storm and then up a gear in the second half? Is it a tactical ploy?
I would suspect it’s us taking the time to work through whatever tactics teams are employing against us. Challenge of being a premier is that everyone takes a very close look at what you do well & uses you as a measuring stick as to how they are going.

That was a great game to get down to. Thought the Dogs actually played really well, and if their kicking boots had been on early it would have been a much more respectable scoreline.

Especial love for Waterman's three-goal-two-minute blitz, and also for Sheed for that beautiful shot at goal from the boundary line. No one else I'd want kicking if my neck were on the line from the boundary.

There's little in Naitanui's career to suggest he's worth picking so he can play as a deep forward most of the game.
Oscar Allen is currently averaging 9 touches, 3 hitouts and 1 goal a game in the same role. Naitanui shouldn't have an issue exceeding his output.
I don't think it's realistic to expect Naitanui to play as the primary ruckman, given the amount of football he's missed and the cautious approach that they've adopted with him with respect to his fitness throughout his career.
Don't think of it in terms of "we're picking him to play second ruck", think of it as a necessary step to get him back to where he needs to be.

They say that left footers are a special breed in football. Sheed certainly makes that ring true every game. He's a dead shot from awkward angles.

Made those Magpie crybabies wince with agony.

Oscar Allen is currently averaging 9 touches, 3 hitouts and 1 goal a game in the same role. Naitanui shouldn't have an issue exceeding his output.
As a forward? I wouldn't expect Naitanui to kick a goal a game. Allen can also play in defence. And Allen is only rucking because Hickey is injured, presumably? So not exactly like for like.

If we're picking Naitanui, we're picking him as a ruckman. Minutes and back-up TBC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back