Autopsy Round 11, 2019: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

When is the club going to take these fixtures seriously? They seem to just half arse the execution everytime and some of players seem to treat it as a holiday.

I'll excuse the players this time due to illness they were completely spent for most of the game but I don't think the club could honestly say it prepared for this match as well as it could unless the players got ill from something the club brought with them, this isn't a slight on China (anything out of the ordinary can have unexpected effects) but on the clubs professionalism they should be leaving nothing to chance.

Then there is the glaring problem with our team the complete inability to appliy scoreborad pressure due to near diabolical goal kicking and pathetic forward entries im not sure if is a problem with the mid field or the forwards but they seem to be playing to completely different game plans. That this issue has persisted for years is and indictment on the coaching staff and those overseeing the football department.

Reckon you're spot on. We give up so many quality clearances, allowing teams a clear inside 50. Most of ours are rushed kicks. Rushed no look kicks are really killing us, quite a few guilty of it today including Ross, Newnes and Parker.
I don't know whether it was structure or illness, but we were 2nd to the ball today nearly everytime, whether it be centre bounce, stoppage or from a spilled mark

The coaches found out today they have to play players who are fit and in touch.
Geary - missed 3 weeks - needed to play 2s to see where he was , and proved he was far from fit ---- Paton
Billings - crook before game / past fit ----- Hunter Clark
Savage - crook before game / past fit ---- Hind
Young - how can you play a guy who only had 3 touches the week before ----- Armitage
Joyce - form was poor at Sandy ---- White

To commemorate today's historic and unforgettable performance the club has struck a new crest

2zh315f.jpg

My theory with White was we thought it was unlikely the late emergencies would play and we didn't want White to have three weeks without playing a game.

Also, Savage and Billings are senior enough players to speak up if they are not right to play. Some onus needs to be on them for saying they were right to play if they actually weren't.
If it is our players making calls to play injured or unwell, they should be coached that it is selfish to do that. Seems to be a constant problem.

Regarding White, it seems now they are just refusing to play him at all costs. They literally swapped him off an emergency list when a chance to play. Really hoping there was a good reason for this.

Wouldnt have made a difference tho anyways..

When is the club going to take these fixtures seriously? They seem to just half arse the execution everytime and some of players seem to treat it as a holiday.

I'll excuse the players this time due to illness they were completely spent for most of the game but I don't think the club could honestly say it prepared for this match as well as it could unless the players got ill from something the club brought with them, this isn't a slight on China (anything out of the ordinary can have unexpected effects) but on the clubs professionalism they should be leaving nothing to chance.

Then there is the glaring problem with our team the complete inability to appliy scoreborad pressure due to near diabolical goal kicking and pathetic forward entries im not sure if is a problem with the mid field or the forwards but they seem to be playing to completely different game plans. That this issue has persisted for years is and indictment on the coaching staff and those overseeing the football department.
I know one thing they have to change out one of the small forwards , its just not working.
We need another good marking target - wish King was ready

One thing today showed is we missed Webster and McKenzie - looks like they add the steel down back.

I expect our next game we will have at least 6 in's - Acres , White , Webster , McKenzie , Marsh , Hunter Clark

Webster - Wilkie - White
McKenzie - Marsh - Savage
Billings - Steele - Acres
Kent - Battle - Membery
Gresham - Bruce - Parker

Marshall / Ross / Hunter Clark

Newnes - Dunstan - Sinclair - Long

Theres a possible chance Steven could potentially return towards later part of the season, it's a little news I heard while I was watching at the pub.

He was a total stranger but I suppose it can have some legs.

He'll have a hard time pushing out Young.

When he eventually made it onto the ground the security guards arrested him as they thought he was a spectator and they had a case.

I don’t care how good Battle is doing down back, it doesn’t matter if we can’t kick goals at the other end. We need another marking target so ******* put him there.

Young, Phillips, Joyce, Geary all out.

Webster, Clark, Hind and White all in. Don’t care if it’s too many backs, just get me some decent ******* kicks with some decent ******* speed and skill.

Just watched the game. I was worried we'd look a bit lost and disorganised early out there in strange surrounds. We ended up getting worse as the game went on. Mind you, I skipped bits of the 2nd half to maintain my sanity after a big day today. Not all that motivated to re-watch it in full.
Anyway, on a positive note Seb didn't lead our inside 50 count today. Just as well, because the 3 I remember from him were back to his worst efforts after a pretty good game last week. I felt like Port pressured us pretty well when we had the ball, and we lacked someone to hold onto the ball, shake off a tackle or two and show some composure going forward. Ross isn't the guy for that. Acres still lacks consistency, but he's pretty important to us in that regard especially at his size.
As for defence. Even before Geary went off we were a shambles back there. You'd hope that with Gears and Brown back there we could organise ourselves a bit better. There's no way those 1st quarter goals should have come so easily, especially the cheap ones out the back. Did we end up taking an intercept mark at some stage? I think we were still on zero when I last noticed. Even DMac's usually good for a couple, and he has a crack at least. We probably missed him.
I know there's a lot of frustration at how Coff has been managed so far, but jeez...if you get a chance you've got to fire up more than that. He needs to be fed a diet of whatever Parker and Long are on for a few weeks. Maybe they could be his fecal donors or something. Still, a strange way to return to the team after a long time out so can't be too critical I guess.
Good to see Hanners/King having good 1st halves and White play well again. Maybe with no Geary or Webster (not sure when he's due back) we can see some White/Hind action.

Yeah, midfield is still a huge issue, Port looked like their clearances were clean and quick, ours look hard work and like we luck them. The only clean clearance work I can remember was when Marshall took the ball out of the ruck himself. Most of ours are knock ons to clumsy gathers and then a chain of pressured flick handpasses, then a wobbly munt kick with a player hanging off their shirt that lands flat on a Port players chest.
Yeah but tap ruckmen are overrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure. He has been good in the VFL this year but still hasn't overcome his laziness and poor pre season. Wont be at the club next year anyway.
Really? 10 rounds into the year and hasn't paid his dues for coming back in poor shape? If that's true then cho can go f himself right now the tosser honestly. Yeah great, we can get rid of possibly the best kick we have on our list because we just have such a plethora of others right?

I’m hoping that’s a one off, things were not really looking good in the lead up and that’s how we played.
Anyone who palms that off as just a bad day is in for some more pain , the gods smiled on us at the start of the season one in way or another , now its wake up time

Pathetic effort from our boys. Unless we hear that everyone was sick and they were keeping it quiet there is no excuse for that.

For a team that bases their game around pressure, we couldn't have been worse. The amount of easy uncontested footy they were able to get in dangerous positions was embarrassing. Our defence was poor.

Hope we make a statement. How Clark can't get a decent crack at it is beyond me.

In: Hannebery, King, Clark, Mckenzie, Marsh
Out: Young, Joyce, Phillips, Geary then take your pick
You cant do that to King yet Bird

Not sure. He has been good in the VFL this year but still hasn't overcome his laziness and poor pre season. Wont be at the club next year anyway.
You and George been having Coffee together , so White has to play how many games for Sandy because of his pre season ?

Anyone who palms that off as just a bad day is in for some more pain , the gods smiled on us at the start of the season one in way or another , now its wake up time
We aren’t as bad as yesterday’s game would indicate if looked at in isolation.

Travel, illness and heat combined with a lousy grinding game plan really caught up with us imo. I’m also not particularly concerned about the side, we are a bottom 6 team lacking high end talent. We will do our best to address that after this season with in probability a change of coach as well. I really think people will be surprised how much of a lift the B/C graders will get by having some real talent around them. What does a realistic best 22 look like come round 1 next year?.

At any rate Captain what would you have the club do?.

You and George been having Coffee together , so White has to play how many games for Sandy because of his pre season ?
Might be better to not take things out of context. I never said that. I said it's been four seasons coming back unfit, completely unprofessional for an AFL footballer.

Anyway it's been done to death so I'm not going to go back and forth about it. He will be out by seasons end by the looks of things anyway and fair enough too.

I don’t care how good Battle is doing down back, it doesn’t matter if we can’t kick goals at the other end. We need another marking target so ******* put him there.

Young, Phillips, Joyce, Geary all out.

Webster, Clark, Hind and White all in. Don’t care if it’s too many backs, just get me some decent ******* kicks with some decent ******* speed and skill.
No point putting him forward. Our mids couldn't hit a target to save there lives. Hard to when you just get it and slap it on the boot without looking.

Seriously thinking about not going to the tigers game when we come over end of june
Could * off and do something better like go shopping and stab my eyes out with a fork and spend money on something id enjoy rather than watch a flogging
Last time i saw a live game was that year the tiges won the flag and we got pantsed at the G in the last round i think
That was a fun trip

Jesus christ id rather spend the day at DFO

A terrible team effort, poor coaching in the first quarter. When I was seeing Marshall having to rove the ball at ground level early in the game, while our minds were putting no effort in to get the loose ball, I knew we were in trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back