News Karl Amon signs a three year deal to stay at Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that when he got injured in rd 2, I worried his bounce in form would desert him quicker than one of his (previous) signature out on the fulls.

All credit to him to not only return earlier than expected but force his way back in through the Maggie’s and not look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s playing well, but he’s had two years of very average development before now.

Hopefully his contract reflects his average output and not just his contract year.

He’s playing well, but he’s had two years of very average development before now.

Hopefully his contract reflects his average output and not just his contract year.

Karl is no orphan in regards to average development but during the two or three hours I spent dining/chatting with him last year, I didn't get any impression he was the type to try hard just because it's a contract year. Two years extension should be OK.

More than likely he is maturing, thus gaining more self confidence as he is still quite young and now coming to terms with the requirements necessary to be a quality AFL footballer.

He clearly is a player who has been showing more on the track than the field up until now. Was talked up by the coaches a few preseasons in a row but failed to deliver.

But someone turned a toughness switch up on Karl this year and the recipe works. Not only has his inside work improved but it seems to have helped his confidence overall and therefore his outside game too. Is quickly becoming the player he promised to become in those preseasons.

Karl’s story is always one that hits me in the feels, with his leg issues as a kid. Maybe I have a soft spot for him because of the number he wears, but I will say this - after that game where Nic Nat buried him in the Optus turf last year, I chatted to him as he was watching something on his ipad (before flying out) and he expressed how greatful that he even got the opportunity to play and seemed so desperate to grow and get better. It turns out that he was already reviewing the game on his ipad and looking at what he could do to improve.
The kid is a jet and will be needed on the wings. We seriously slowed down when he did his knee earlier this year.

Karl was out the door but no one showed enough interest for a trade. What a great result for karl and port. I got the feeling he was trying too hard and over kicking. Now he has found his confidence and is a starting 22 player. Maybe schoey gave him some confidence? Who knows but good on him

Previous to this year Amon shirked a few contests in sanfl games over the years and once at Alberton he was that bad a supporter called out to him to never play at Port again. It's probably taken the no interest from other clubs for him to realise he had to change. It will be a risk to re-sign Karl after half a season but as long as it's the right terms. He has been an asset this year.

What were the circumstances around trade period last year

did he ask to be traded and we couldnt facilitate one? or did we throw him up as trade bait and had no nibbles?

Either way he was pretty close to being gone if i remember correctly
I remember catching his manager (Tom Petroro) on trade radio last year around the middle of trade week. Around the time we knew all the players who would be traded but none of the trades were done.

He said Karl had a very honest exit interview. Which I assume is code for he was told to improve or * off. Karl was a bit frustrated at starting the last few seasons in the 1st but not playing regular AFL later in the year and knew he was behind a few good similar outside types in Polec and Wingard. His manager said they were looking at options and St Kilda and Hawthorn had both shown a low level of interest but were chasing other players as a priority and Karl was prepared to put his head down and honor the last year of his contract. It sounded at that point like the interest wasn’t there and they knew it.

Within a week St Kilda traded in Hannerbury and we traded Wingard to Hawthorn and Polec to North and Amon stayed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He interchanged with Houston starting at center bounces. I love Houston, and he did a great job, but IMO Amon was a lot more dangerous in the center spot because of his evasion & speed.

His best game so far in his career at Port IMO

I remember catching his manager (Tom Petroro) on trade radio last year around the middle of trade week. Around the time we knew all the players who would be traded but none of the trades were done.

He said Karl had a very honest exit interview. Which I assume is code for he was told to improve or **** off. Karl was a bit frustrated at starting the last few seasons in the 1st but not playing regular AFL later in the year and knew he was behind a few good similar outside types in Polec and Wingard. His manager said they were looking at options and St Kilda and Hawthorn had both shown a low level of interest but were chasing other players as a priority and Karl was prepared to put his head down and honor the last year of his contract. It sounded at that point like the interest wasn’t there and they knew it.

Within a week St Kilda traded in Hannerbury and we traded Wingard to Hawthorn and Polec to North and Amon stayed.

So basically, we can add Amon's form to the list of benefits that getting rid of Wingard and Polec has brought :)

Its win win

If he signs on, cool.

If he wants to leave. His trade value is at its highest its ever been
That's just it. With a raft of younger small goal-scoring mids/forwards coming on it's the fact he's now tradeable if we/he wish that is so pleasing.

Karl’s story is always one that hits me in the feels, with his leg issues as a kid. Maybe I have a soft spot for him because of the number he wears, but I will say this - after that game where Nic Nat buried him in the Optus turf last year, I chatted to him as he was watching something on his ipad (before flying out) and he expressed how greatful that he even got the opportunity to play and seemed so desperate to grow and get better. It turns out that he was already reviewing the game on his ipad and looking at what he could do to improve.
The kid is a jet and will be needed on the wings. We seriously slowed down when he did his knee earlier this year.

Was going to post similar his struggle as a kid is truly inspiring to get to were he has. Always liked his left leg but he started to kick it out on the full to much.
This yr has looked a totally different player alot harder at it maybe not finding a trade has been a real wake up for the kid.would be happy to resign him.

Oh god please let's cool our horses. Has had alot of very average performances this year and only a few ok games. We would be crazy to give him a contract longer than one year.

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah a 1 year deal is fair. Keep him hungry.

Good on the lad for putting in when his career is on the line. Not perfect but a fair bit more to offer than eighteen months ago.Harder at the ball and a bigger tank. He will get what he deserves.

I reckon a 1 year deal and he goes if he gets a taker (and he probably has earnt tha taker).

If we reckon he is worth more we will offer it.

Karl was out the door but no one showed enough interest for a trade. What a great result for karl and port. I got the feeling he was trying too hard and over kicking. Now he has found his confidence and is a starting 22 player. Maybe schoey gave him some confidence? Who knows but good on him
Schoey has his name all over it. Reckon Karl has found his true mentor. Schoey was never a dead set jet and placed in elite categories. But played an important role in a quality team. Reckon schoey is rounding Karl's game from a skills/physical standpoint but also most importantly psychologically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back