FTA-TV Open Mike

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah that was a good episode - Smith has a pretty remarkable story and seems a very honest & likeable interviewee. Hope life post footy goes well for him.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
There are so many great characters to be interviewed but would they tell the truth. That's why IMO Jacko was the best, he showed up false or biased sports reporting for what it is.

The truth?

Jacko made it into one big advert for whatever act he is doing on the circuit at the moment.

In doing so he hardly said anything except outlandish statements in an attempt to shock.

Having said that, I watched his episode twice so there was some entertainment to it

Agree with Denchy and Moore being on the dull side.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
The truth?

Jacko made it into one big advert for whatever act he is doing on the circuit at the moment.

In doing so he hardly said anything except outlandish statements in an attempt to shock.

Having said that, I watched his episode twice so there was some entertainment to it

Agree with Denchy and Moore being on the dull side.
Don't really know why I said Jacko was the best in reality it was hard to watch. Great that he served Mike though.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Don't really know why I said Jacko was the best in reality it was hard to watch. Great that he served Mike though.

Jacko made for a complete train-wreck…..Nothing more, nothing less....and train-wrecks make for compelling viewing.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Jacko made for a complete train-wreck…..Nothing more, nothing less....and train-wrecks make for compelling viewing.
Disagree. I was really uncomfortable watching it, didn't enjoy it, couldn't get through it.

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disagree. I was really uncomfortable watching it, didn't enjoy it, couldn't get through it.

I've watched it twice, the second time to see if I missed something. It is hard to believe there wasn't a lot of schtick behind it and that surely Mike was warned in advance about certain topics. That said, there were some snippets in there - when Jacko chose to stop being a fool for 30 second blocks - which showed he had some good points to make about the modern game. Goalkicking technique was one which surprised me, until I remembered that he was actually a pretty good shot for goal in his time.

The overall theme, however, was essentially him playing the same well-worn character he has adopted for over 35 years now and it became boring after a while.

I never really warmed to Mark Allen the radio guy.
But I have massive respect for him after tonight's show.
Actually think he is a damn decent bloke now.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I never really warmed to Mark Allen the radio guy.
But I have massive respect for him after tonight's show.
Actually think he is a damn decent bloke now.

he's always been pretty upbeat sort of bloke on radio, great to see it reflect in his private life. i really wish him all the best

May 22, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I must be living under a rock, who's Mark Allen? And what's his relationship with footy? Never heard of him, at least not in a footy context..

Former host on radio SEN 1116, now on Macquarie Sports Radio, and ex golf professional.

Yes, tenuous link to footy, but it's a strong story.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would like to see Sheahen interview some characters of the game, who had a brief moment in the sun, and we have never heard of since. Could have a few of them together for an hour special show. The show could include people like : Helen Damico (1982 GF streaker), the guy on the other side of the fence who nearly got the crap beaten of him by John Bourke in an Army Reserve Cup game in the 80's, the girl who rode the elephant at half time at Arden street in the 70's, etc.

Last edited:

incaciawin

Blues4ever
Aug 7, 2009
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I must be living under a rock, who's Mark Allen? And what's his relationship with footy? Never heard of him, at least not in a footy context..

He has been connecting along with Mark Schwartz with a lot of AFL fans for years through his work with SEN and now Macquarie. Really don't know what Hutchison was thinking boning these two.
It was a really powerful interview, except I didn't think it was necessary for Mike to ask Mark when he thinks he will be able to go and watch his beloved Pies.

OffTheBit

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He has been connecting along with Mark Schwartz with a lot of AFL fans for years through his work with SEN and now Macquarie. Really don't know what Hutchison was thinking boning these two.
It was a really powerful interview, except I didn't think it was necessary for Mike to ask Mark when he thinks he will be able to go and watch his beloved Pies.
That would be David Schwarz

5ammy

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was good to have it back on last night. Interesting how Dunkley seems to have no interest or affection towards the Swans anymore, obviously something more to it. Super proud Dad, his kids are all playing at the highest level within their sport which is an amazing story.

How about that kicking style though? Forgot how awkward it was! Solid player though.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was good to have it back on last night. Interesting how Dunkley seems to have no interest or affection towards the Swans anymore, obviously something more to it. Super proud Dad, his kids are all playing at the highest level within their sport which is an amazing story.

How about that kicking style though? Forgot how awkward it was! Solid player though.

He appeared caught in 2 minds for most of the interview.

Sounds like it was cause he was expecting to stay on at the club, he did mention he and his wife enjoyed the lifestyle in Sydney but then said he wanted to go back to Victoria to raise the kids in the country.

Also made it out like he was innocent in the collision with Hird and then basically admitted later he deliberately hit him.

Had a big falling out with Roos when Roos didn't offer him a coaching gig. Complained to the board and they basically told him they would side with Roos.

Cracked the shits as he thought he deserved more from them.

the end

Back