Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Hi all (for those that haven't seen the thread),

Some here will be aware of some "cross-pollination" with another team forum yesterday and while some rectification has been made we've been asked by the powers that be to again remind posters of their responsibilities when posting elsewhere. Each board has its own methods and tolerances on BigFooty however these all revolve around the rules of the forum (Terms and rules).

The fact is when incidences like these come up there is no onus on opposition posters to agree, some may taunt and troll but they have the safety of their own forum to do that. When we head that way to fight them there is no protection and no security for your own posting. You post there at your own risk, just like they do on the North board.

This is not to say that all posting on opposition forums by their posters is acceptable. If you see something that you think is against the rules of the website then please report it and don't respond on their forum. If you wish to escalate something then there are avenues to achieve this as well, in the link above.

The North Melbourne BigFooty board is as tribal as it gets. It's not been a pretty few years but as things start to look positive it's best we all enjoy this together and don't drop silly numbers by fighting the wrong way.

Cheers

The Filth Wizard Twinkletoes King Corey Flawed Genius

Inside midfielder

I'll say until all you campaigners agree with me

All that sideways movement is wasted by sticking him on a forward flank. Watch a contest in the second quarter last night where he ******* materialises through a pack. The kid is absolute smoke in congestion

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All that sideways movement is wasted by sticking him on a forward flank. Watch a contest in the second quarter last night where he ******* materialises through a pack. The kid is absolute smoke in congestion
It's amazing to see. His lateral movement makes me think we pinched a rugby player. Doesn't have that 'time slows down' feel that Ahern and Cunnington possess but he has raw athleticism. Hard to describe but acceleration, agility, and reaction time rolled into one.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Inside midfielder

I'll say until all you campaigners agree with me

Been saying the same. Not enough pace or tricks in space for a good forward pocket, but he thrives in congestion.

arden station

Cancelled
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was great to see him bursting through stoppages and opposition players. He tackled a Richmond player in the last quarter at pace, with a swinging arm - but within the rules - that was brutal to see live.
Watched the replay - with 8:03 to go in go in the last he smash tackled into Castagna but TV doesn't do it justice.

If Jack played midfield consistently the way he played last week, then he'd make the AA squad at a bare minimum.

Jack is charging at contests again which makes him a weapon in the middle. I actually prefer the idea of playing around with Cunnington’s role right now. I think Cunnington can be even more damaging when he gets switched around.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

😍😍

61001977_340490153192661_7066214005274930095_n.jpg

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Don't jinx him Snake !

I have never really understood why arriving at a positive analysis seems to facilitate negative supernatural forces.

The judd comparison hasn't worked well in the past !

He was the best bit of the win against the tiges. He just seemed to grow another leg. I think hes starting to realise how good he could be

When I am referring to "Judd-like" I mean it in the sense that he's not far off consistently breaking from congestion and setting up attacking plays.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have never really understood why arriving at a positive analysis seems to facilitate negative supernatural forces.

When I am referring to "Judd-like" I mean it in the sense that he's not far off consistently breaking from congestion and setting up attacking plays.

twas tongue in cheek. But you are right he just seemed to float through the congestion. Not as quick as Judd though

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Moves too well in traffic to be pigeonholed as outside. He is tougher than his frame would have you think, and he's a hard little bastard as well. With some extra strength and some more conditioning I think he is an excellent balance of inside and outside, predominantly as part of the centre square mix

He probably doesn't have the pace Boomer did but he does read the footy well off hands as evidenced by the Goldstein read, so he's either a small forward (shown absolutely nothing to suggest he will succeed or need to succeed long term there) or a centre square midfielder

I think we've had the previous couple of seasons demonstrate that he does struggle to get to the right spots on a consistent basis when he's played on a HFF or outside the contest. Moving him into the centre square rotations and allowing him to hunt the footy has actually been one of the better coaching decisions made

Nice problem to have
The guy's physique is disproportionately developed below the waist compared to his upper body.
And he's tall enough to have his centre of balance perfectly balanced, to dance on his toes and shrugg tackles similar to the power mids in the game.

He has some unique genetics that'll give him a unique edge inside and outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Played 86% forward on the weekend. Didn't attend a single centre bounce.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Precisely why I view him as HF & mid, he's great at both areas. He's just been coached to play some stupid role he can't provide when Jy's entire performance relies on taking the game on.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Precisely why I view him as HF & mid, he's great at both areas. He's just been coached to play some stupid role he can't provide when Jy's entire performance relies on taking the game on.

He could play anywhere except KPP & Ruck.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep. A real difficult match up for a defender who has to tail him through heavy traffic and another 1 touch midfielder when he rolls in there. Win win.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The guy's physique is disproportionately developed below the waist compared to his upper body.
And he's tall enough to have his centre of balance perfectly balanced, to dance on his toes and shrugg tackles similar to the power mids in the game.

He has some unique genetics that'll give him a unique edge inside and outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Former captain Matty Larkin like ?

Back