Autopsy Round 11, 2019: loss v cats

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Forward line is still too tall.

Would send Melican back to the NEAFL, move McCartin to defence again and bring in Ronke or the like.
The like being Rose - who even if overwhelmed by a superior Lions team yesterday can find the ball, and rove a pack effectively - which we are crying out for. Menzel is both unnecessary and a liability if we have Reid, Buddy and McCartin. Or Sinkers up forward with Knoll in the team and McCartin down back.

The like being Rose - who even if overwhelmed by a superior Lions team yesterday can find the ball, and rove a pack effectively - which we are crying out for. Menzel is both unnecessary and a liability if we have Reid, Buddy and McCartin. Or Sinkers up forward with Knoll in the team and McCartin down back.

Did you watch Rose yesterday? Shocking decision-making under pressure. It seemed like nearly everything he and Bell touched ended in turnovers. It's incredibly frustrating as midfield spots are certainly up for grabs yet neither are showing much to suggest they'd be better than the likes of Fox, Clarke etc. Say what you will about Menzel, he looked sharp in the NEAFL, which at least gives him a chance at being able to translate it into the best 22. If the likes of Rose don't even look sharp at NEAFL level...

I say lets give Menzel a run of games before we consider dropping him. At least you know he is capable of being in the best 22 each week.

Spot on

Weeks of calling for his inclusion then let’s drop him week 1

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Well having watched them play yesterday im in no hurry to discuss this upcoming match

They are crap at the SCG though, so that's something!

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
They are crap at the SCG though, so that's something!
That's true, they just looked in ominous form in 2nd half yesterday,although the opposition were invisible from half time.

We should get Jones back which will help, and we probably need to drop a tall forward for a better balanced forward line. Could just be a simple change of Jones in for McCartin.

After the wce games, 6 of our last 8 games will have been against the current top 6 on the ladder. GWS and Richmond games aside we were in with a shot of winning the others. Our form line is better than the ladder suggests, hoping we can upset the premiers.

Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Knights & Jets
I say lets give Menzel a run of games before we consider dropping him. At least you know he is capable of being in the best 22 each week.

IMO Menzel is a lead up forward, has a turning circle similar to the Titanic, until we learn to lower the eyes & hit the lead up forward he isn't best 22. Who would you leave out of the forward line to play Menzel?

Menzel should be dropped as the forward line is too top heavy. Unless Menzel can take a mark he’s just as slow as Jack when the ball hits the ground.

1 week in though?, lets see if he can make it work over say a month

just my view, but we are developing aren't we?

Menzel should be dropped as the forward line is too top heavy. Unless Menzel can take a mark he’s just as slow as Jack when the ball hits the ground.

I think there's some over-reaction on here after only one game. Menzel may not be quick but he knows how to use his body and he's creative, two things Jack is not. Plus, this was his first game back in nearly a whole year. That was the same excuse used for guys like Reid and Mills and Melican, so the same leniency should be applied to Menzel.

But I did say when we got him that I wasn't convinced Menzel would actually be able to cement a place in the team. As hyped as his goalkicking numbers have been, his career goal average is not a whole lot more than Hayward's (1.85 per game as opposed to 1.25 per game) and we can expect Hayward's to only increase as he's only 20. I know we need goals, and Menzel can definitely help with that, but if he's not kicking goals, he will be very expendable, and I wouldn't be surprised if Horse agreed if it came down to it.

Back