Review Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

+
Darling. That is the JD I wanna see.
The forward line in general. JD, JK, Ryan, Waterman & Cripps with multiple goals
Sheed. No-one else I want kicking from the boundary, never in doubt.
Does Shuey have the best non-preferred kick in the comp?

-
Hurn
A few missed tackles
Doggies we able to transfer it between the arcs with the run and handball game, our biggest weakness all season
Cue was in the rack but the last 5 minutes were disappointing when we need every bit of percentage we can.

Barrass returning from injury and bolstering our defence is a setback for Pav
Would be nice to see TB the Bull and Nicnat return in the next Derby and we crush the purple pox. Gaffy gets the Ross Glendinning medal just to top it off. Love to hear Pavlova after the game. And Mrs Pavlova as well!!

I'm sorry but what the hell was Yeo doing today? Consistently running away from the ball, barely ever attacking and hunting it. Felt like he had 0 confidence and desire to want the ball today and atrocious timing. Jogging everywhere. Mirror from last week. Hope he bounces back quickly.

+ Darling
+ midfield
+ workrate (everyone but especially Gaff, Ryan, Cripps, Darling and Waterman)
+ percentage
+ mexican wave
+ Healy saying to Pav that he is impressed with the Eagles small fwds working for each other, then Pav showing footage of and discussing the Dogs small forwards
+ Pav shutting up late in the 3rd (probably logging into his Mrs twitter account to vent)

- Hurn being aware of his hamstring
- broken tackles
- Schoey getting caught out of position a heap in the 1st half
- Cole getting beat in a few 1 on 1's but thankfully up the ground
- when we are winning the commentators go on about what the opposition is doing well, when we are losing they still go on about what the opposition are doing well!

I'm sorry but what the hell was Yeo doing today? Consistently running away from the ball, barely ever attacking and hunting it. Felt like he had 0 confidence and desire to want the ball today and atrocious timing. Jogging everywhere. Mirror from last week. Hope he bounces back quickly.

Shoulders sore after a month of carrying 20 teammates.

I think he deserved somewhwat of a rest from his usual beast mode carrying the team after the last few weeks. Still went at it hard when it was near him, just didn't run for it as much. Will bounce back when we really need him i.e. next week

So I said it the game day thread.

We are coming out very strong in the second half of most games, and looking poor in the first half.

Are teams throwing everything at us in the first half, we weather the storm and then up a gear in the second half? Is it a tactical ploy?

don't know.Our players take a while to just start playing on instinct and backing themselves but when we do the skill level at speed is exceptional.They seem more concerned with match ups and getting structures right and not making errors and not so much about taking the game on in first quarters lately.The spark and intent seems to come after breaks at the half or after quarters but not at the start of games.

That game had to many memorable highlights and was to much fun,to satisfying to think about negatives.
Twenty goals and forwards worked together and killed em was a big positive
Midfield and ruckman was a positive you could say Vardy was playing on a kid but English is a bloody massive kid a bit bigger than Vardy and he has got some skills.
And the back line ,Jettas kicking ,Govs positioning ,Sheppards reliability and reading ,Duggans most active backing himself taking it on game this season IMO ,Hurn ,Scofield,Cole all did dune good.The guys on the bench and the guys holding up signs they all done good to.
Our mascot Rick the Rock Eagle had some new moves everything was good.

+Waterman played well and kicked a few snags, thus rubbing HT's face in it! Waterman the troll-killer!
+Clunky Jack puts his Ironman suit on and bags a bunch-looks like the Jumping Jack of old-even it was the Dogs! Would like to see him do that against better opposition-asking too much? But hey, it's all the other work he does too! Jacks' back!
+JK - just a humble hardworking banged up hero! Will miss him when he's gone.
+Boosted the percentage and snuck into 4th! Our spot to lose now. A very comfortable roost for the second half of the season.
+ was good to see the young kid kick his first goal for his parents.
+The Governator intimidating mullet-boy.
- Dog's mullets
- a lot of friggin' around with the ball and sloppy kicks and handballs in first half (too cute by half.)
- Pav's tedious commentary again, and his frozen camera smile like a puppet with someone's hand up his backside! Can we start a 'PAV HAS TO GO' campaign - I mean really? Wave signs at the stadium please!
- was a distracted TV game with family and dogs and visitors. Have to watch again.
* all in all, a good game to have leading towards the break, hope we can seal it with a win in Swanland.

As a forward? I wouldn't expect Naitanui to kick a goal a game. Allen can also play in defence. And Allen is only rucking because Hickey is injured, presumably? So not exactly like for like.

If we're picking Naitanui, we're picking him as a ruckman. Minutes and back-up TBC.

Disagree completely. Hasn't kicked a goal a game because he's never played primarily forward.

I can't think of a player defenders would less like to play one on one in the goal square.

+
Darling. That is the JD I wanna see.
The forward line in general. JD, JK, Ryan, Waterman & Cripps with multiple goals
Sheed. No-one else I want kicking from the boundary, never in doubt.
Does Shuey have the best non-preferred kick in the comp?

-
Hurn
A few missed tackles
Doggies we able to transfer it between the arcs with the run and handball game, our biggest weakness all season
Cue was in the rack but the last 5 minutes were disappointing when we need every bit of percentage we can.

Hurn?

I was there and Hurn looked pretty good to me. Maybe I miss stuff ... don't know?

How come Hurn was a negative?

BEST
West Coast:
Darling, Gaff, Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Sheppard

Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn?

I was there and Hurn looked pretty good to me. Maybe I miss stuff ... don't know?

How come Hurn was a negative?

BEST
West Coast:
Darling, Gaff, Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Sheppard

Thanks
His tight hammy would be the negative

Disagree completely. Hasn't kicked a goal a game because he's never played primarily forward.

I can't think of a player defenders would less like to play one on one in the goal square.

There are at least 3 in the current team - Kennedy, Darling and Ryan.

NN has never proven himself as a key forward (I know he hasn't played there full-time, but even pinch hitting he is not elite in that position).

His marking isn't up to the standard required as a key forward. Of course his ruck work, defensive pressure, contested possession ability and tackling are elite in the middle (amongst other areas!) - so luckily we can play him as a ruckman.

Sure he can rest down forward, but he needs to play in the middle for most of his TOG.

There are at least 3 in the current team - Kennedy, Darling and Ryan.

NN has never proven himself as a key forward (I know he hasn't played there full-time, but even pinch hitting he is not elite in that position).

His marking isn't up to the standard required as a key forward. Of course his ruck work, defensive pressure, contested possession ability and tackling are elite in the middle (amongst other areas!) - so luckily we can play him as a ruckman.

Sure he can rest down forward, but he needs to play in the middle for most of his TOG.
Completely disagree. He often plucks good grabs and converts well.
His leading patterns and general forward craft aren't great but the man can take a contested mark like very few others and has done so many times in the F50.

Positive: Freo’s Drafting mistakes

Seeing Naughton looking like a brilliant pick and realising Freo who would have looked so much better if they went Cera and Naughton (not hindsight as I posted at the time they would be sucked into their mids magnate)

Re Barrass injury, I think our injury report recently changed from TBC to 8-10 weeks for his return, and Pav did 2+2=5 to work out it was worse than originally thought. No new setbacks to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back