Quirks of the fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
7 of our last 8 home and away games against North have been North's home games, and our only home game against them in that time was at their home ground. We haven't played a home game against them at the MCG since 2012.

Port Adelaide have now been in the league 23 seasons, and we've been fixtured to play them in Adelaide 20 times in the home and away season.

We have played Fremantle in Perth 20 times and West Coast in Perth 19 times, despite West Coast being in the league for 8 more seasons.

I know full well the AFL rig the fixture, hence why it's a fixture not a draw, but these quirks are remarkable.

Not that I'm complaining about the Perth one given our record over there against each side.

Fremantle - 10 wins 10 losses
West Coast - 4 wins 15 losses

Great point.
You only have to look at how many teams that made the eight last year without beating many teams from the previous finals to see how much influence the fixture has on HA results.
And now they can justify the machinations with bottom eight not having to play as many top eight teams twice.
It gives me the sh.ts

Great point.
You only have to look at how many teams that made the eight last year without beating many teams from the previous finals to see how much influence the fixture has on HA results.
And now they can justify the machinations with bottom eight not having to play as many top eight teams twice.
It gives me the sh.ts

It's the main reason why teams always jump from the bottom 10 to the top 4, it's happened in 21 out of 25 seasons since the top 8 was introduced.

Look at Collingwood last year for example, they beat 1 top 8 team and finished top 4.

Great stats. I had same discussion last night and it is a disgrace that they try to even it up by having us play Port twice.

Do you have any stats on hoe many times we have travelled to Adelaide or The GC (excluding the games we sold)

Great stats. I had same discussion last night and it is a disgrace that they try to even it up by having us play Port twice.

Do you have any stats on hoe many times we have travelled to Adelaide or The GC (excluding the games we sold)

We will have played Adelaide away 20 times and Gold Coast away 4 times after we travel to play them both this year.

Also, we have played GWS away 7 times out of a possible 8, another fixture quirk.

I know we sold home games to Cairns, but we have only played Gold Coast in Melbourne once.
At least we get to play Port and GWS at the MCG this year.
Would be nice to play a home game against North at the MCg for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only explanation for the anomaly re. North is that when the time comes for clubs to issue fixture requests for the following year, we don't want to play North because they can't pull a crowd, and they would have us at the top of their list (especially since we drew mid-40's twice against them at Docklands in recent years). This year's disappointing crowd of 29,000 might change things up for next year.

Of course it would never happen but we need to either go 17 rounds H&A with extended final series, playing each other H&A twice every two years. Or, shed 6 clubs and continue with 22 rounds, playing each other once home and once away every year.

If we continue to play North exclusively at their home ground into the future, this will have a dramatic effect on our overall record against that club. I'm not sure how the league can justify it. We have a record of 3 wins 7 losses against them since 2011 (i.e. since we've been finalists or close to). We're 16 wins from our last 50 games against a club that runs on the smell of an oily rag.

I've posted in another thread about our diabolical record against Footscray/WB. Our record against North is almost as bad.

We’re about to enter a period where the tiges can’t watch their team at the G for five weeks of the season. Post the home game this week our draw is;

Round 13: Adelaide at AO
Round 14: Bye
Round 15: Saints at Marvel
Round 16: Gold Coast at Metricon
Round 17: GWS at MCG

Round 17 starts our run of 7 at the G. Now some might argue you’ll take 5 weeks of not seeing any footy at the G if it means we get 7 straight but I think it’s an absolute pisstake to engineer a draw like this.

so wait are we admitting the G is our cheat ground?

How could a cavernous stadium like the G be a cheat ground when plenty of oppos attend?

Geelong have a massive advantage,95 percent locked in home fans and dimensions different to every other ground.

How could a cavernous stadium like the G be a cheat ground when plenty of oppos attend?

Geelong have a massive advantage,95 percent locked in home fans and dimensions different to every other ground.

oh their cheat ground its way worse no doubt. Our advantage at the G is like being allowed to have the textbook open during the test whereas their advantage at gbh stadium is like they're holding the teacher's family hostage unless high grades are given.

Of course it would never happen but we need to either go 17 rounds H&A with extended final series, playing each other H&A twice every two years. Or, shed 6 clubs and continue with 22 rounds, playing each other once home and once away every year.

Wow, that's a whole other discussion or argument isn't it. Total numbers of games is important for TV rights deals - yet sometimes I think they lose sight of the fact that if marketed well, less can be more. At some point and administration is going to have to be brave and attempt a transition to a much fairer fixture. Was the trial of two conferences in AFLW a look and see? Can't see the AFL shedding Clubs unless there is a major drop off and it becomes a financial imperative.

Would not surprise me to see a Tassie team and somehow another hybrid team. Getting to 20 teams means playing each other once for 19 rounds, and perhaps finals over 5 weeks instead of 4. Further development of a couple of weeks AFLX maybe to help maintain its TV rights income.
It's becoming a juggernaut the AFL, if it isn't already!

Wow, that's a whole other discussion or argument isn't it. Total numbers of games is important for TV rights deals - yet sometimes I think they lose sight of the fact that if marketed well, less can be more. At some point and administration is going to have to be brave and attempt a transition to a much fairer fixture. Was the trial of two conferences in AFLW a look and see? Can't see the AFL shedding Clubs unless there is a major drop off and it becomes a financial imperative.

Would not surprise me to see a Tassie team and somehow another hybrid team. Getting to 20 teams means playing each other once for 19 rounds, and perhaps finals over 5 weeks instead of 4. Further development of a couple of weeks AFLX maybe to help maintain its TV rights income.
It's becoming a juggernaut the AFL, if it isn't already!
The Offal look like they holding everything together with string, gaffer tape and wire just to keep the Comp going with these special rounds for the same old same old Teams and uneven amount of home games for certain Teams...
Need a Tassie Team pronto!
Need two divisions...winners of both play the GF!
Those special rounds ie Anzac, Indigenous etc loser is rotated..
(I'm bored seeing Bumbers and wobbles every Anzac Day and i don't care what Triple chinns thinks about that!)
Teams play each other twice!
clunker_4.jpg Offal's H+A rounds...

The Offal look like they holding everything together with string, gaffer tape and wire just to keep the Comp going with these special rounds for the same old same old Teams and uneven amount of home games for certain Teams...
Need a Tassie Team pronto!
Need two divisions...winners of both play the GF!
Those special rounds ie Anzac, Indigenous etc loser is rotated..
(I'm bored seeing Bumbers and wobbles every Anzac Day and i don't care what Triple chinns thinks about that!)
Teams play each other twice!
View attachment 685711 Offal's H+A rounds...

Not convinced about the two divisions, we'll solve some problems and then create others that are just as uneven. Hasten slowly. The AFL is already Masters of the Unintended Consequences

Geelong have a massive advantage,95 percent locked in home fans and dimensions different to every other ground

Geelong train at Kardinia Park, we train at Punt Road and no side trains on the MCG or for that matter, Docklands Stadium.

Hence, why the 9 teams based in Melbourne are all on an even playing field, while Geelong get a leg up over the rest of us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back