MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Does anyone else listen to MMM? The interview with McCartin was heartbreaking. Blokes really struggling in his life at the moment.
I don’t often. God knows why with the amount you plug it. I think I steer away in case you are quietly on a payroll and I end up funding your weekend getaway massive estate where you go to stalk deer and shoot grouse

I don't mind the channel 7 saturday night commentary team.
James Brayshaw called Nathan Jones, Nath brown not once but twice. This board hung sandy roberts out to dry when he did it once in a preseason game. Once is okay, but twice isn't good enough if you're a supposedly professional commentator.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Silvagni played his 50th for Carlton yesterday, shows how bad they’ve been when he’s clocked up that many games.
I saw in passing the package they had on him at half time for his 50th game and nearly fell off my chair ... I feel like its been clear for the world to see that he's not the least bit capable at AFL level really early on, and yet he's made it to 50 games. I'd say its a combination of how bad Carlton are, and his last name that has gotten him there tho.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
So there are general noises suggesting Carlton have something to announce later today.

Here’s my guess about what lies ahead. Noting that I’m a s**t guess plus I never wanted to say this out loud because it makes me a bit ill, but ...

I think they may just have hired Roos in some capacity. Dunno if as coach or in some more senior football overlord capacity.

I think this because he was quizzed about these kind of things on On The Couch recently, and he sounded much the same as he did before coming to Melbourne.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Could you imagine if they got back the best out there in Ratten.. wasted how many years after sacking him for ******* Malthouse when he was going good with what he had.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why does it always seem like clubs sack their coaches around the same time? Like they go * better get rid of ours before other team grabs best in waiting. I dont understand it would be better to have clean air to work in

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Bizarre presser.

Everything is good. We have a strategy in place. Everyone around the club has bought into the strategy that will ultimately deliver a premiership. Everything is good. And we’re sacking the coach. But it’s good.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Bizarre presser.

Everything is good. We have a strategy in place. Everyone around the club has bought into the strategy that will ultimately deliver a premiership. Everything is good. And we’re sacking the coach. But it’s good.
Right! The first time they said "We've got a great strategy in place, we're continuing on with it, and this is just the next step" Sacking your coach is a step in your strategy? and sacking the coach at all means it's all going well? What the hell? ... and they even went back to the well with it a few more times ... just bizarre

Why does it always seem like clubs sack their coaches around the same time? Like they go **** better get rid of ours before other team grabs best in waiting. I dont understand it would be better to have clean air to work in

I expect most teams know pretty well in advance whether their coach will be at the club the following year. Once another team makes the first move and starts publicly headhunting you wouldn't want to be far behind.

Right! The first time they said "We've got a great strategy in place, we're continuing on with it, and this is just the next step" Sacking your coach is a step in your strategy? and sacking the coach at all means it's all going well? What the hell? ... and they even went back to the well with it a few more times ... just bizarre

It's like those movies where the bad guy gets caught early on in the movie, then it turns out getting caught was all part of their master plan.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I expect most teams know pretty well in advance whether their coach will be at the club the following year. Once another team makes the first move and starts publicly headhunting you wouldn't want to be far behind.
So pull the trigger first cause now if north dont take Ratten carltons list gets so much smaller cause Ratten surely tells then to get ****ed and they cant go another new coach surely after the Bolton bullshit. Plus Carlton would be last club id want to coach look like ******* amateurs

Bolton was set up to fail. Watching Melbourne and then Carlton severely botch rebuilds will make any club wary of bottoming out for picks and going solely down the draft route.
Worked pretty well for Hawthorn and Geelong at the start of the last decade. Richmond too.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Worked pretty well for Hawthorn and Geelong at the start of the last decade. Richmond too.
Subtle differences.
Hawthorn and Geelong were not coming off as lower a base nor were Richmond. It seemed to me that those sides were intent on building a team and culture even if it meant a bit of pain. Melbourne and Carlton saw high draft picks and gifting kids games as a panacea for success. Hawthorn et al. lost but never openly accepted it as being “all part of the plan”. I knew our ‘rebuild’ had hit peak stupid when Stynes said: “the thing is if James McDonald and Cameron Bruce were out there, Luke Tapscott wouldn’t be getting a game.”

Back