News Thank you Bolts

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
MLG is not inspiring at all for someone to lead an organisation. Really poor when he makes public comments

Which is why he usually leaves it to Lloyd, Judd, Silvagni and previously Bolton. I like it, bloke knows what he's not good at, and knows who in his organisation is best suited to communicating specific messages. This was one of the times he couldn't delegate though.

MLG has overseen some really positive changes in his time. Sure, we've had some challenges too, but I think he's been good for the club to date. Hopefully just one more piece of the puzzle to find now.

Flaro

Rookie
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia 76ers
Feel very sad for Brendon. He took the fall for a number of list decisions like trading out Gibbs and taking the long term view by playing (too many) kids. Very classy during the press conference and did not take a single pot shot at upper management. I hope he takes some time off to recharge, spend quality time with his young family and find another footy job soon. The club and players owe him.

magoo2912

Debutant
Nov 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Bolts seems like a great bloke and I wish him all the best. This however is the correct decision, I think back to last season when the Blues play Adelaide, I took a photo and posted it Carlton started with 0 players in the forward 50 and 2 players on the square. twice Cripps won the ball out of the centre and kicked it to 4 crows.

How can the kids develop strategically when being coached like this? I look forward to Teague coming in and hopefully the players can dig in and get a few wins on the board.

Thank you Brendon for bringing so much positivity to our club at a time that we were on our knees.

You were absolutely the right person for the job considering where we were at the time.

Unfortunately, it is now time for someone else to take us through the next stage.

Hopefully when we are successful again people will remember the significant contrtibution you made to getting us there.

Our club is a much better place for having had you involved.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting pause from Liddle when asked about SOS' trade decisions

Yeah was interesting.

Liddle speaks really, really well in front of the media and comes across as an intelligent guy.

The question was actually whether SOS is safe and Liddle paused before talking about the Stocker trade which didn't really answer the question at all.
Both he and MLG did say numerous times though that the whole club is constantly being reviewed, so no one really is out of the gun and i guess that includes SOS.

I'd suggest he's safe though since the plan was always to hit the draft hard for 3-4 seasons to bring in elite young talent and we've done that.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Are we going to formally review every position in the coaching fraternity?

Do you mean in ours? Or across the board in the hunt for a new senior coach or assistants?

Assuming it goes without saying that we'll explore all options for the senior gig. And having seen the senior coach go, you'd have to think the assistants will know their performances will be under scrutiny.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
His statement was horrible. It should've been a celebration about BB. Barely gave him a mention.

Thought it was fine.

He did have a part where he praised Bolton for his dedication and hard work.
The press conference is ultimately about his sacking, you can't then go overboard with the praise and 'celebrate' him since clearly in the end he wasnt up to standard.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
MLG seriously needs to never speak in public again. Is a complete bumbling fool who can't string a sentence together.

Cain Liddle on the other hand is exactly the type of sharp, little bit slimey "would sell his own mother" business type that you want running organisations you care about.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
MLG is not inspiring at all for someone to lead an organisation. Really poor when he makes public comments

Agree he's pretty poor in the media although i actually think this was an improvement on other times i've seen him.

But a good president doesn't necessarily need to be good in the media. And he wasn't bad, just OK today.

It really stands out though next to someone like Liddle who is extremely good at media conferences.
Looked calm and relaxed, spoke clearly and concisely.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks Bolts. He somewhat reminds me of a young kid who you draft and they come in and look great early and you think the sky is the limit. Then they just don’t come on for some reason and you can never truly know why. I dunno maybe we just didn’t have the support network around, who knows but I will miss him but I think we probably have made the right decision.

Like what? And what meaningful answers would you expect? We're already down one coach, the club is hardly going to go sacking a few more before the end of the season.
Why not?...

We want results, right? That’s why we sacked the coach. Unacceptable results. They’re just as responsible as Bolts was. If he goes, they should all go.

But that wouldn’t be practical, would it? So let’s sack the man who worked and felt for this club, like he’s been there 20 years.

Poor decision. Easy way out. Lazy and surface level.

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Jeez, watching Doc talk... Cruel that he's had the two acls. Well spoken by the two captains as expected.

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge
Thank you, Bolts. You’ve been incredible for this club, and deserve better!

In my opinion, this is not only a bad call, it’s a lazy, surface level call...

I’m really disappointed in the club. Bolton was exactly what this club needed, and would’ve been great moving forward. Bad, bad, lazy call.

All I can say is, hopefully they do this properly, and clean out the other coaches whose flaws have gone unnoticed because Bolts took all the hits.

And god help us if we appoint Brad Scott. You think we’re bad now. Wait til he gets a hold of us!

At least go after Clarkeson now, with everything we’ve got. That’s the only I way I can see this as a positive move.

Not happy.
I feel sick. Never forget I was at the club about a week after he started and the place was so different to the negativity of Malthouse. He made the place happy again. He did so much for the club and the players, gave it everything. Class act

Whether it is the right thing I don't know. My take is he is the circuit breaker to release the pressure. His list is young and unfit. Makes it hard. These days it's not about one person. Never is.

Club now needs to stand up and keep moving forward. It's a huge appointment now. Can't get it wrong.

All the best Bolts. You're a class act and you have done a lot of good. If we achieve the ultimate success you will be a big part of the reason

Great posts Soapy V and TheCoach16 - sums up my feelings exactly.

Thanks Bolts!!

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
MLG is not a public speaker and never will be and doesn't attest to be... hence why he's always in the background. I'm sure he's not inhuman and feels the hurt too (just has inability to express it), like Eddie had to sack Mick, sometimes you've got to do what's required and at least he didn't shy away from making a tough call and putting himself in targets way.

Blue Chip Pass

All Australian
Apr 20, 2017
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Carlton
It's already been said several times. You have to admire the way BB conducts himself.
That took alot of courage and grace to speak so well about the whole club.
We know how passionate he feels things. He is likely to go punch a brick wall when no-one is looking.
I really liked the man and wish he had more success. Good luck BB, all the very best.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Took on a very difficult job and stayed classy throughout. Not an easy thing to do, great work Brendon.

If, and it is a big if, this list ever reaches great heights, I will remember the foundations.
Well said Plow, Bolton never put himself or his own self interests ahead of the club, he in fact sacrificed his own job to do the best by us the supporters the club, the Gibbs trade accompanied by the Docherty twin ACLs killed any chance he had at getting the wins needed, along with last years other injuries. Good on ya Bolts for showing others how to sacrifice for the club and others around them as that is culture defining stuff. Good luck in the future Bolts and thanks again.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a sad day but it's part of the Carlton journey. It was always possible that Bolton wasn't going to be the right person to take us to #17. That doesn't mean he wasn't the right person for the first 2-3 years of the rebuild - I believe he actually was.

In the end, the club and list just transitioned into a stage where we now require a head coach with a differing skillset to get the most out of the young talent we've brought in.

He's clearly a class act as a human being. Thanks for everything you've done for our club, Bolts.

AndyWalkersGirl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2006
The Apple Isle.
AFL Club
Carlton
I was a big fan of Bolts and will miss him as our coach but understandably, the wins weren’t there.

His press conference was all class, dignified and humble til the end. I wish we had in at our club in another role, he’s such a great person who instilled such a positive culture during a shitty time. He will go onto other better things, too.

Thanks Bolts, unlucky with your time this year and all the best.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Why not?...

We want results, right? That’s why we sacked the coach. Unacceptable results. They’re just as responsible as Bolts was. If he goes, they should all go.

But that wouldn’t be practical, would it? So let’s sack the man who worked and felt for this club, like he’s been there 20 years.

Poor decision. Easy way out. Lazy and surface level.

Yet to be seen.

Don't recall any club ever sacking an assistant coach mid-season. Would be easier to just shuffle some portfolios. Can't really do that with the senior coach though.

My point is more that we can't leave ourselves understaffed. Even if Barker is likely to go, and perhaps someone else, we can't replace them until the end of the season and as such it would be impractical to deplete our coaching group too far.

Hopefully a change in mindset and focus in the top spot will filter down over the next few months. Might be the last time the players just get to relax and enjoy their footy for a while though, so I hope they enjoy it. Doubt whoever we bring in is going to be willing to take a soft hand approach.

Back