News Thank you Bolts

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Yeah was interesting.

Liddle speaks really, really well in front of the media and comes across as an intelligent guy.

The question was actually whether SOS is safe and Liddle paused before talking about the Stocker trade which didn't really answer the question at all.
Both he and MLG did say numerous times though that the whole club is constantly being reviewed, so no one really is out of the gun and i guess that includes SOS.

I'd suggest he's safe though since the plan was always to hit the draft hard for 3-4 seasons to bring in elite young talent and we've done that.

I would say SoS gets 1 more chance to bring in some quality senior bodies. If he fails in this then seeya

I saw 17 with him. The little tacker holding up the cup with the mountain cripps with the biggest smile on his face "This one's for you blue baggers"!

It was destined :(

I really can't explain by typing how ******* gutted I am mate …..

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
MLG is not a public speaker and never will be and doesn't attest to be... hence why he's always in the background. I'm sure he's not inhuman and feels the hurt too (just has inability to express it), like Eddie had to sack Mick, sometimes you've got to do what's required and at least he didn't shy away from making a tough call and putting himself in targets way.

President did look pretty sad towards the end of the presser.

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks BB for what thus far has been largely unrewarded effort on your part.

The players performance yesterday was so apathetic it was inevitable that your stint as coach was over. I think the timing was right. The players on the list are much more talented than they are showing. They have lost confidence and it is clear BB has lost confidence.

The CFC is now in a much stronger position than it was in at the end of 2015. I expect success in the years ahead and if it comes a significant component of that success will be built on the early teachings of BB, who has made sacrifice to a higher cause more than a turn of phrase. True to form the dignified manner of his departure shows BB lives truly the meaning of that message.

Being a young coach of a young developing list was always a high risk/high reward strategy for all concerned. There is no point doubling down on the bet. If we were going to change course it would always be the coach overboard first.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
An eloquent dissertation, but the blame is not entirely on the senior coach. In fact, I place just as much blame on the pathetic coaching staff around him. The entire cohort needs to be ripped out and reset.

This was a very difficult decision, and it will certainly be followed by more difficult but necessary decisions.
I hope your right Plow otherwise we just did this for nothing but the appeasement of the media and power brokers (Mathieson)

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
It is not a matter of sacking the senior coach or bust, other decisions can be made after a considered understanding of why things are where they are. 'Win/loss' is not an investigation. That is what is happening, not why. The why is the most important, and the fact is that if we had won the Hawthorn and Gold Coast games, and sat here with a record of 3 and 8, the decision would not have been made.

The fact that two kicks is the difference between us keeping and losing a senior coach shows it was a rushed decision made for the wrong reasons.

No one on here can say that Bolton was the problem, just like I can't say that he wasn't the problem, because there are so many variables that could be at play within a footy club. The fact that we have made the decision as we have done shows the lack of consideration around the decision making progress.

Again, it could prove to be the right decision. But, even if this is the case, it was not made for the right reasons.

As Mr Plow says above, more difficult and necessary decisions will be made at the end of the season.

Sliding door moments are what this club has become, not often we seem to end up on the right side of the sliding door in the last 20 years. The Hawks game was the killer, coming a week after our win and first time kicked a ton in eons the confidence levels would have been huge. I have no doubt it shattered the players.

The last 5 weeks have been at 2018 levels, that was never going to be acceptable this year. The same rudderless, clueless optics emanating from the player group out on the field was never going to end well.

I wish it did end well, but I completely agree with the steps the club has taken today for it not to happen and still get beat up week in and week out when it was clear the club was fully expecting to be moving in the right direction would have meant it happening further into the season.

The club could not take the chance of it not turning around, it hadn’t in any of the previous 2 seasons in the second half of the season so why would it suddenly turn around this year?

I feel sick, even more sick than when Ratts was turfed, as I was fully invested in Bolts and his message. Loved him

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It is not a matter of sacking the senior coach or bust, other decisions can be made after a considered understanding of why things are where they are. 'Win/loss' is not an investigation. That is what is happening, not why. The why is the most important, and the fact is that if we had won the Hawthorn and Gold Coast games, and sat here with a record of 3 and 8, the decision would not have been made.

The fact that two kicks is the difference between us keeping and losing a senior coach shows it was a rushed decision made for the wrong reasons.

No one on here can say that Bolton was the problem, just like I can't say that he wasn't the problem, because there are so many variables that could be at play within a footy club. The fact that we have made the decision as we have done shows the lack of consideration around the decision making progress.

Again, it could prove to be the right decision. But, even if this is the case, it was not made for the right reasons.

It's a lot of assumptions you're making from the wrong side of the closed door...

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
I hope your right Plow otherwise we just did this for nothing but the appeasement of the media and power brokers (Mathieson)

I hope so too.

Buckley has Sanderson, Harvey and Longmuir around him.

Hardwick has Caracella, Kingsley and Leppitsch.

We largely have trash.

Bluesome

Team Captain
Oct 3, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a lot of assumptions you're making from the wrong side of the closed door...

If you are talking of the assumption of the GC and Hawthorn losses changing the result, you are half right, however Liddle said in the press conference words to the effect that Bolton was paying the price for just not being able to get over the line earlier in the year - In my view, that is what he was likely referring to.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Obviously a good guy who worked hard and cared about the club and the players.

Ultimately probably lost his way a bit by looking too far ahead rather than addressing the immediate needs of the club (ie wins).

Charlieboyblue

Debutant
May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks Bolts, for your investment in our Club. Your enthusiasm was just what we needed, and I for one was hoping for the fairy tale to occur and that you would be able to lift that precious silverware in the air in September.

As many have identified so many variables have conspired against our on field success.

Good luck with your future endeavours.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If you are talking of the assumption of the GC and Hawthorn losses changing the result, you are half right, however Liddle said in the press conference words to the effect that Bolton was paying the price for just not being able to get over the line earlier in the year - In my view, that is what he was likely referring to.

That, and you're assuming there was no analysis of why we were performing the way we were.

I'm sure there was. And I'm fairly sure that Bolton was unable to provide much clarity, which is likely why the decision was made. The club would have made certain decisions on the back of where the coach believed the team was at and what they were capable of - obvious one is the Stocker trade. So if Bolton tells the club we're ready to rise, four rounds in we're "in" games, pull off a good win in Round 5, and then not only fail to carry that momentum forward but actively go backwards in terms of on-field effort, engagement, skills and results...

I'd suggest conversations have been ongoing for weeks, and whatever Bolton was saying would change - didn't.

My only concern is that perhaps he coached a certain way because the board wanted him to, and now he's been sacrificed for something out of his control. But that's only a slight worry - the talk from the club, despite the "patience" mantra, has been that we don't want to be losing any more, that we're ready to start winning games of footy. I think the club has been patient, but there's only so long you can sustain that without seeing some meaningful reward.

Back