Review Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2019

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Everything is double sided.

Like he praised Ryan for his effort to block, but what he was really doing was pointing out the block.

Given Fyfe hates WC even more, it'll be tough going when he gets into the media. Surprised no WC alumni has stepped up to a commentary gig. I guess NN is our most likely for the future. Schofield would be great, but does he have the profile? Definitely the ability.

Fyfe will be unbearable but his saltiness will be all time!

Wadsworth

Fold the Eagles
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
don't know.Our players take a while to just start playing on instinct and backing themselves but when we do the skill level at speed is exceptional.They seem more concerned with match ups and getting structures right and not making errors and not so much about taking the game on in first quarters lately.The spark and intent seems to come after breaks at the half or after quarters but not at the start of games.

I think there's is a very definite strategy to how we run out the game. We kick the ball around and maintain possession very well and that requires defenders to maintain their workrate for longer. I find it quite frustrating how conservative we are with ball in hand off the half back line, but recognise it's probably a double edged sword. The players and coaching staff seem intent on sticking to our structures and filling our role, so I suspect it's a very clear focus.

The way to beat us is clearly by running through the lines in waves to break our zone and get over the back quickly. But that takes an enormous workload to repeatedly sprint through a zone of relatively stationary players. Couple that with the workload required to defend against many switches of play and patient ball movement, and our game plan really appears to wear teams down. I don't know if we then adjust our game plan in the second half and take them on more with the knowledge that they'll be tired, or if the methodical kicking game just breaks through a tired defense more effectively.

It seems the game plan is somewhat akin to the old Rope-a-Dope strategy.

most pets are better behaved than kids these days tbh. Did a brewery tour a few weeks ago and jesus, some of the kids did my head in.

I bet you've got a cat you *en blouse.

Wadsworth

Fold the Eagles
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
most pets are better behaved than kids these days tbh. Did a brewery tour a few weeks ago and jesus, some of the kids did my head in.

I take my four kids out in public for two purposes:
1) to prove how verile I am (shut up, they do not look like the mailman!!!)
2) mostly just to annoy people with no kids

Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Fo
This sickens me to do, but frankly a lot of you really overplay how bad Pav was.

OK so he probably got his wires crossed on the Barrass injury. Easy enough to do but hang him for that if you want. It's either an honest mistake, some news we aren't privy to yet or the insane ramblings of a guy with an axe to grind against us. Again, you choose whatever makes the most sense to you.

He also picked up on and complimented Ryan for his defensive block on Kennedy's opponent for his goal in the 3rd(?) quarter, which I thought at the time was a very good observation for those watching on TV who definitely missed it in real time (I did). As for the rest of it... I dunno? There are way more guys (Ling, Dixon etc) who actually cannot find a good word to say about us when they commentate unless it's to balance the ledger when they've been bleating about how good the side we're beating by 5 goals has been.

And yes I am very happy Bigfooty doesn't have a dislike button right now.
Fold the Commentary box!!!

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
This sickens me to do, but frankly a lot of you really overplay how bad Pav was.

OK so he probably got his wires crossed on the Barrass injury. Easy enough to do but hang him for that if you want. It's either an honest mistake, some news we aren't privy to yet or the insane ramblings of a guy with an axe to grind against us. Again, you choose whatever makes the most sense to you.

He also picked up on and complimented Ryan for his defensive block on Kennedy's opponent for his goal in the 3rd(?) quarter, which I thought at the time was a very good observation for those watching on TV who definitely missed it in real time (I did). As for the rest of it... I dunno? There are way more guys (Ling, Dixon etc) who actually cannot find a good word to say about us when they commentate unless it's to balance the ledger when they've been bleating about how good the side we're beating by 5 goals has been.

I was on a plane so missed this game (look forward to watching it) but apart from Pav's huge overreaction to the Gaff issue when it happened (somewhat understandable when you are close to the impacted team I guess), I think he is generally fine to us. Boring, sure, but fine.

All of that said, the standard of commentary is generally appalling so being classed as "fine" is a relative thing. Healy, is always good to us. Love his work.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
A competent organisation publicly accepts mistakes and does something to get better. How often do you hear Gil and his team accept they get anything wrong?
So they should subtract the goal and give the game to the Pies no?
How do you admit that yet leave the score standing?

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

I'm half joking and half serious about the big Pavlova...but he does annoy me.
(probably just a Freo thing!?) :rolleyes:

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a well known fact kids can't handle their booze.
Not true, my 2nd daughter got hold of a cup of soju at another kid's 1st birthday party and she was fine.

Before anyone starts, booze at first birthday parties is totally a thing in Korea.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
+ve's
+Darling - 6 goals is great but it wasn't the goals that was the best bit, his work rate and want to impact contests even when he couldn't win them was super impressive. He didn't even look like he has his timing or touch right yet. So watch out when he that's back. I noticed he played more out of the goal square like the start of last season. Hopefully he exceeds the form from last years first 10 rounds!
+Solar Panel Schofield was great tonight. So reliable.
+Seemed to move the ball quicker again

-ve Mirabooka Ice Rink being moved to the middle of optus stadium

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
+ve's
+Darling - 6 goals is great but it wasn't the goals that was the best bit, his work rate and want to impact contests even when he couldn't win them was super impressive. He didn't even look like he has his timing or touch right yet. So watch out when he that's back. I noticed he played more out of the goal square like the start of last season. Hopefully he exceeds the form from last years first 10 rounds!

-ve Mirabooka Ice Rink being moved to the middle of optus stadium
Agree with you Darling playing deeper. Not sure how much it was as a result of Waterman playing higher up the ground - something to watch out for in the coming games.

In so far as the slipperiness of ground - I believe the oval was watered prior to the Beagles game and the grass was reported to be quite short. Happy that Venues West are responding to requests to soften up the ground. It will also be an advantage for us with insider knowledge on what sprigs to wear (are they still called sprigs?)

Agree with you Darling playing deeper. Not sure how much it was as a result of Waterman playing higher up the ground - something to watch out for in the coming games.

In so far as the slipperiness of ground - I believe the oval was watered prior to the Beagles game and the grass was reported to be quite short. Happy that Venues West are responding to requests to soften up the ground. It will also be an advantage for us with insider knowledge on what sprigs to wear (are they still called sprigs?)

I've always called them sprigs, but the Vic w@nker commentators call them stops or studs.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Does Gerard Healy have a home over here? He's easily our biggest vic supporter in terms of media personalities and he seems to always be commentating our home games on FOX
Healy is one of the best when it comes to telling it how it is and looking at the game impartially.

With most commentators, it's quite easy to work out who they played for or who they barracked for. Healy and probably Anthony Hudson are the two best at keeping their personal feelings out of the commentary box.

I like Gerard Whateley for these reasons as well although I know many on here won't agree with that.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Healy is one of the best when it comes to telling it how it is and looking at the game impartially.

With most commentators, it's quite easy to work out who they played for or who they barracked for. Healy and probably Anthony Hudson are the two best at keeping their personal feelings out of the commentary box.

I like Gerard Whateley for these reasons as well although I know many on here won't agree with that.
Agree with you on Whateley - he cannot help himself with Geelong so does not do the commentary which is fine.

Hudson is a mad Cats fan as well but seems to cope with being impartial on the call.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Agree with you on Whateley - he cannot help himself with Geelong so does not do the commentary which is fine.

Hudson is a mad Cats fan as well but seems to cope with being impartial on the call.
Some of Huddo's best commentary moments were calling the Cats losing in the dying stages (Nick Davis, Miracle on grass etc) which is why I like him. Would take a lot of willpower to call that without sounding upset or heartbroken

Back