Review Freo downs Pie, 6-5 before Bye

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I respectfully disagree.

If it were up to me I would put Hill into Cerra's HB role and move Cerra into Bewley's FWD/MID role.

Bewley back to Peel.

Yeah it would be between bewley and cerra. I feel bewley is bringing a little more at this stage. Though more games into cerra the better as well. Cerra did have a decent game not to long ago. Hard choice

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
I respectfully disagree.

If it were up to me I would put Hill into Cerra's HB role and move Cerra into Bewley's FWD/MID role.

Bewley back to Peel.

That game was Brett’s 2nd game with his 1st game being very good. If he had have kicked both his shots on goal he would be being lauded ; even one of them. He struggled with the pace of the game against a very good opposition in Collingwood.
Adam has been struggling for all but 1 or 2 games in his 2nd season. He looks tired as well as out of sorts.
Adam’s silliness with his kick on goal when he received from Brennan Cox , alone should see him sent to Peel.
Adam Cerra would gain more in his development, than Bewley.
Relegating Adam Cerra would be less disruptive to the team that just had a stirring victory.

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hello Freo faithful,
Tip of the cap to your boys for cracking the code and pulling off the win. We’ve been playing a lot of these tight contests of late, good job to the Dockers for not allowing some kind of burst from the Pies to lose the game at the death; you completely shut us down.

As far as the Mayne touch, he touched it but it wasn’t seen. That’s just football. In a game this tight that or any of a number of things could make the difference.

Best of luck and hope to see you in September!

(Edit: also the catchiest song in the comp!)

Thanks for all the likes! I posted a similar-themed message in the Collingwood group about how we were caught out and Freo played with more grit... and got it deleted by the mods and a warning for something or other. I'm glad you guys are friendlier to a Collingwood supporter than my fellow Collingwood supporters! :D

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Thanks for all the likes! I posted a similar-themed message in the Collingwood group about how we were caught out and Freo played with more grit... and got it deleted by the mods and a warning for something or other. I'm glad you guys are friendlier to a Collingwood supporter than my fellow Collingwood supporters! :D

Ha ha. Your board has got a large number of good posters, but you've got some trigger happy mods over there it seems. I posted a very respectful post on your board and it was deleted too with a warning. It mostly just praised Bucks and a couple of Pies players. Look at my post count, I occasionally visit other teams and I've never received a single warning til now. Go figure. :think:

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nobody around me at the game was aware of the ‘touched’ goal at the time. It was a great game, but we get home and it’s all anyone is talking about. The fact that a fingernail scrape in the bloody 3rd quarter, among a litany of incorrect and inconsistent decisions is the sole talking point from the Vic media after the game is straight up pathetic.

This is what pisses me off about the media of this game sometimes. Out of a full game of footy with a lot of great talking points, the arseholes behind the mic will spend all week focusing on an umpiring decision, or a will-he or won’t-he report, score review or some other little thing that’s usually inconsequential in the big picture of the entire 120 minutes of football. Yeah it was technically incorrect. There are a lot of incorrect decisions throughout any game. Move the * on.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
We are not nearly so friendly after a loss ;)

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reid's other goal which came for a high contact free kick also came after he had destroyed a marking contest with Ryan where he gave away two clear free kicks at the same time; prohibited contact (jumped straight into him without looking at the ball) and an arm chop. Instead it's play on and he ends up with the goal after what was a debatable free I thought (you could argue he's taking out Hughes's legs).

The AFL really shouldn't have called it a 'technical error' when trying to excuse the outcome. When the umpires haven't called for a review the review team have less than 20 seconds to check what angles are available and if the shots not ready it's not ready. I seem to recall something identical to his happening in a Freo game against GWS in Canberra either last year or the year before, but no-one gave a s**t as we ended up losing comfortably. Reality is unless they want to take a full goal review time for every goal to check, or have an additional 6 dedicated cameras for the review team ($), these sorts of things are going to happen occasionally.

Instead it's play on and he ends up with the goal after what was a debatable free I thought (you could argue he's taking out Hughes's legs).
From some of the replays it looked as if Hughes didn’t actually get him high and Reid staged for the free kick

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
HTb against Mundy - goal to pendles - that is not called so many other times during the game.
Reid free in the first - nothing in it.
Reid gave away a free before getting his goal. Absolutely smashed through Ryan for his spoil.
The high against Duman I think (adams) commentators said he speared into him, on the replay he is actually standing pretty much still and didnt do much at all.
HTB against Tucker in our F50 - Tucker pulled it in - no the pies did and Tucker was on his back but nothing mentioned from commentators.

Add to that - Bewley should have kicked at least one of his two.
Fyfe should kick that opportunity in the third.
Cerra - shocking miss - very disappointing.

What pisses me off is we are hearing nothing or next to nothing about Fyfe's brilliance - Hill being dominant - walters class - Hamling dominant - lobb nullifying grundy or that we achieved what we did at the G with the umps against us and Pearce injured for almost a full half.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I will add the matera miss after brayshaws contested brilliance! He had runners to pass to but also should have finished that!

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
What pisses me off is we are hearing nothing or next to nothing about Fyfe's brilliance - Hill being dominant - walters class - Hamling dominant - lobb nullifying grundy or that we achieved what we did at the G with the umps against us and Pearce injured for almost a full half.

This final paragraph of yours is the crux of the whole matter. One missed technicality that only came to light after the event is being chewed to death but all the good things Freo did in real time are being all but ignored. Unfortunately that pretty much sums up the AFL media pack who are a bunch of Muppets with very little ability to step back and look at the bigger picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
This final paragraph of yours is the crux of the whole matter. One missed technicality that only came to light after the event is being chewed to death but all the good things Freo did in real time are being all but ignored. Unfortunately that pretty much sums up the AFL media pack who are a bunch of Muppets with very little ability to step back and look at the bigger picture.
Even though not regarded well around here, it is one of the things that Whateley is decent at. Made the point it is ridiculous to attribute the loss to that decision. Dude may have questionable morality at times, but he is bright.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
HTb against Mundy - goal to pendles - that is not called so many other times during the game.
Reid free in the first - nothing in it.
Reid gave away a free before getting his goal. Absolutely smashed through Ryan for his spoil.
The high against Duman I think (adams) commentators said he speared into him, on the replay he is actually standing pretty much still and didnt do much at all.
HTB against Tucker in our F50 - Tucker pulled it in - no the pies did and Tucker was on his back but nothing mentioned from commentators.

Add to that - Bewley should have kicked at least one of his two.
Fyfe should kick that opportunity in the third.
Cerra - shocking miss - very disappointing.

One could argue when Matera marked in the dying second he would have passed to Sonny who was on ahead of him. Instead of doing what he did which was kill the clock and take his full 30.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
One could argue when Matera marked in the dying second he would have passed to Sonny who was on ahead of him. Instead of doing what he did which was kill the clock and take his full 30.
There was no need to rush. He thought there was time left. Right idea. What if the kick fall short to Walters. He probably wanted to waste the whole 30 seconds, look backwards and just keep the ball. Nothing wrong with that

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the bright side, the fact that the collective football media seem to think that whatever success we've had so far in 2019 has been by sheer luck means that we might just fly into the eight under the radar.

They're all still waiting for North and Essendon to come good and fulfill their pre-season predictions.

If you get a chance to see the replay of this, check out the look Fyfe gives the umpire.

I was very happy with that play. I wanted us to get a mark anywhere and kill the contest, or at the least get the ball deep into the flanks to burn the clock. We got both, it was perfect play for a team with half a minute on the clock and ahead on the score board.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
Upon a rewatch we really did dominate much of the game. Missed four or five sitters in the third including 2 from Bewley’s rocket left foot which I’m sure is down to nerves. He stays in at least another game, could be a real weapon. Hamling was great after AP went down swittas one percenters are gold. Look out Port in 2 weeks.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was very happy with that play. I wanted us to get a mark anywhere and kill the contest, or at the least get the ball deep into the flanks to burn the clock. We got both, it was perfect play for a team with half a minute on the clock and ahead on the score board.

I agree it was the perfect play. I was replying to a post about the missed touched ball, just showing how the match would be different as if we were not in front.

Last edited:
Back