Do you empathise with supporters of other clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I truly feel sorry for Carlton fans at the moment. Their club is a shambles on-field and evidently a shambles off it, too.

Blues supporters know full well that it will be several more years at least before their team is truly competitive.

I also feel sorry for St Kilda fans in general. Their club is cursed. Just this past weekend their captain suffered a broken leg.

On the day he returned from some kind of freak corkie which required surgery. And his team got belted in fricken Shanghai of all places.

After several players and coaching staff got sick on the plane on the way over there!

And then you have the ball bouncing away from Milne in the 2010 GF, the unlucky spoil which went to Gaz in 2009, it just goes on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I also feel sorry for my fellow North fans. We've been vanilla (mediocre) for almost twenty years. And the Carey thing...

But my question is, do you actually care about the plight of supporters of other teams than your own?

Do you empathise with how Blues fans must be feeling today? Do you think to yourself, 'I hope their club turns the corner soon?'

Or do you enjoy watching them suffer? Or are you entirely ambivalent, with no concern one way or the other?

Over to you, bigfooty :thumbsu:

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I truly feel sorry for Carlton fans at the moment. Their club is a shambles on-field and evidently a shambles off it, too.

Blues supporters know full well that it will be several more years at least before their team is truly competitive.

I also feel sorry for St Kilda fans in general. Their club is cursed. Just this past weekend their captain suffered a broken leg.

On the day he returned from some kind of freak corkie which required surgery. And his team got belted in fricken Shanghai of all places.

After several players and coaching staff got sick on the plane on the way over there!

And then you have the ball bouncing away from Milne in the 2010 GF, the unlucky spoil which went to Gaz in 2009, it just goes on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I also feel sorry for my fellow North fans. We've been vanilla (mediocre) for almost twenty years. And the Carey thing...

But my question is, do you actually care about the plight of supporters of other teams than your own?

Do you empathise with how Blues fans must be feeling today? Do you think to yourself, 'I hope their club turns the corner soon?'

Or do you enjoy watching them suffer? Or are you entirely ambivalent, with no concern one way or the other?

Over to you, bigfooty :thumbsu:

You are aged 31 so you don't have as many scars as some of us with long memories.

Let Carlton burn. :fire:

LOL to St Kilda in 2010........that was karma for Greening. Google is your friend.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I do. I felt for Essendon supporters during the ASADA debacle, Melbourne during the Neeld/Bailey days, even Port Adelaide during the Matty Primus short period.

This is no different. All supporters of the game deserve joy and it's been a really long time for Carlton supporters. I never understood 'hating' another team's supporters. Everybody deserves joy, everybody deserves to go through the happy and the sad, too much of the happy (ala Hawthorn) and I'm envious, too much of the sad (ala Carlton) and I just feel sad for them.

I take great joy in clubs like Carlton and Melbourne (especially Melbourne) being s**t. They brought it on themselves and now they can suffer for the rest of eternity.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I wouldn't call it empathy.

But the teams I suppose I 'hate" the most are not necessarily the ones I want to remain s**t for as long as I follow the sport.

The best games are when two rivals are at their best, in my opinion. So say an Essendon v Carlton/Collingwood GF is what I would love to see.

Teams that just don't evoke an emotion from me, north and the expansion clubs, can be s**t for as long as they like.

So yeah, my feelings towards other clubs are solely based on me and not them. Definitely not empathy.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
TuZBG6T.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFL/A..._statistics#Current_club_premiership_droughts

Last edited:

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Carlton cheated their way to a flag in 1995 with under the table payments to star players.
Similar salary cap breaches saw Melbourne Storm have their premierships stripped from them. But in typical AFL style this one was swept this one under the carpet.

Zero sympathy. As their former pig of a president once said of St. Kilda - 'Let them rot'.

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s a tough one. I wouldn’t call it empathy, but I feel sorry for some Carlton fans that I personally know. I’m already sick of our state as a club so I can only imagine what it’s like to be Carlton level bad consistently.

It'd feel bad, but the state Carlton are in now seems to be self-inflicted from the whole salary cap controversy and had flowed on to present day. Also sacking coaches that are heading in the right direction has an impact. Feel an ounce of sympathy toward them due to the fact that they've never been a threat to Collingwood in decades and I'm far too young to have a great memory of their glory days.

Feel a million times more sympathy for St. Kilda, just because they're in a similar boat of making all these Grand Finals and losing them.

It doesnt always come through however I have an affinity with the smaller clubs of the competition, other than the Bulldogs, such as North Melbourne, St.Kilda, GWS, GCS and Melbourne. I have a soft spot for the loyal supporters of clubs that havent had a great deal of success in the modern era.

Ari

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 5, 2003
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ferrari
I feel sorry at other clubs' plights.

Except for Essendon. They can burn in hell.....

Really? I'm 42 and I've supported my club since I was 4. The bad decision my club made, I had nothing to do with that. I went to nearly every game in the years my club was hopeless, banned or bottomed out after it.

So tell me, why can Essendon folk burn in hell?

Last edited:
Back