Do you empathise with supporters of other clubs?

TuZBG6T.jpg

Can you do one like this for finals won?

Even if you cannot win flags making finals and winning some certainly keeps a supporter base up and about a bit.

Have to agree with you there, but say something that i can disagree with.

Thats easy.

SOS bought an unfair weight of expectation on Bolton and the Club when he traded away your 1st for ours this year. He failed to appreciate that Carlton wouldnt escape out of the bottom 4 and that the Crows would be a potential Top 8 side. That alone should have been enough doubt. You win some players in the draft and you lose some. Its also such an unfair weight of expectation placed on Stocker now.

We saw what happened with Tambling, when Richmond took him before Buddy.

Almost every neutral supporter would agree. So much so that it broke Bigfooty at the time.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Can you do one like this for finals won?

Even if you cannot win flags making finals and winning some certainly keeps a supporter base up and about a bit.

Stole it from Wikipedia. Finals win drought is harder to find but Essendon have the longest at 14 years (2004-).

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Feel sorry for the carlton fans - bottom and huge number of round 1 picks and they are 5 goals worse than the other bottom sides and 10 goals behind mid table sides and keep playing broken down old hacks.

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a supporter of a perennially under-achieving club, I always feel for fellow struggling clubs.

I have a soft spot for North, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Freo and Carlton.

Some of their supporters, mind you, make this hard.

This. Some clubs are ok and I don’t mind their players but some of their obnoxious, arrogant supporters make it so hard to remotely like them.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Thats easy.

SOS bought an unfair weight of expectation on Bolton and the Club when he traded away your 1st for ours this year. He failed to appreciate that Carlton wouldnt escape out of the bottom 4 and that the Crows would be a potential Top 8 side. That alone should have been enough doubt. You win some players in the draft and you lose some. Its also such an unfair weight of expectation placed on Stocker now.

We saw what happened with Tambling, when Richmond took him before Buddy.

Almost every neutral supporter would agree. So much so that it broke Bigfooty at the time.
The CEO more or less said today that they weren't going to the draft with the first pick anyway, Stocker looks like a player and if we can snag a decent player with your pick then we would have done well.
Now whoever Adelaide pick up with lets say no 1 will have to be a super super player for the trade to be classed as a Crows win, more likely it will be win win.

Really? I'm 42 and I've supported my club since I was 4. The bad decision my club made, I had nothing to do with that. I went to nearly every game in the years my club was hopeless, banned or bottomed out after it.

So tell me, why can Essendon folk burn in hell?

OK, I got a bit carried away. Apologies.

For the most part, I sympathise with the OP. I'm generally a cheer for the underdog kind of guy. I feel bad for teams that havent had success for a long time.

The exceptions for me were always Collingwood, essendon and Richmond (for historical rivalry reasons).

I don't wish you harm/misery personally. And I'm not the kind of supporter that gets joy from other clubs' players getting injured. But if essendon finished on the bottom of the ladder for five years, I wouldn't shed a tear and think 'oh I hope they get better soon'.

It's probably not super rational, but broadly speaking, I think in sport it's almost as important having a club to cheer against as it is to have one to cheer for (eg Collingwood, man United etc). Every good drama needs a villain. For various reasons (not just asada), Essendon is the top that pile for me now.

Yes I do, because I know "that there by the grace of God go I". Until 2007 I felt sorry for myself being a Geelong supporter because we were NEVER destined to win a premiership.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Yes, absolutely. At the end of the day we all share a passion just in a different direction. And that's okay.

Yep all the way. I reckon there are supporters of other clubs that I sometimes empathise more than supporters of my own club.

I understand the pleasure and heartache my club has given me (having to vote to keep Hawthorn alive was a gut-wrenching yet strangely uplifting experience) and often hope the true supporters of other clubs get to experience the same. Don't get me wrong, I'd happily tramp all over them to get another flag. But I do like seeing football supporters getting enjoyment from their teams (just not at my own's expense ;) )

yeahmate

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quite simply, no, especially Carlton supporters who thoroughly deserve their extended run at the bottom given how arrogant most of them are when they are winning. Make no mistake they will turn in a heartbeat as soon as they string a few wins together and just enjoy their misery while it lasts.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
This. Some clubs are ok and I don’t mind their players but some of their obnoxious, arrogant supporters make it so hard to remotely like them.

Forums like Big Footy absolutely have a polarising effect on this.

At the end of the day, it's just guys and girls kicking around a ball for entertainment.

Or at least, that's what I tell myself after a bad loss. ;)

mxett

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I do, for supporters of clubs which have been poor for many years.

I feel for most Carlton supporters who season after season watch their club struggle to win more than a few games. They stick it out hoping each year will be different, only to be disappointed again. They say they'll check out and come back next year, but are back again the next week lamenting another shocking performance.

I felt for tiger fans too for all those years they missed finals and really hoped they would see success.

I feel for Melbourne supporters and hope they see an ara of success sooner than later.

I dont feel sorry for most North supporters (although some I do). They seem to have massive chips on their shoulders and hate my team with what borders on an unhealthy obsession.

Back