Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to LFC. But what a duffer of a game for a neutral. At the selection desk, Spurs contributed to their own defeat. Selecting Kane over Moura was a mistake, understandable to pick your best attacking player.... but..... Moura should have been brought on at half time, as Kane had done very little to that point.
Liverpool did enough to get the win, and deserved the victory, but it was hardly a “spectacle” as a final.
I’m sure that will “bother” my reds supporting pals no end!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well done to LFC. But what a duffer of a game for a neutral. At the selection desk, Spurs contributed to their own defeat. Selecting Kane over Moura was a mistake, understandable to pick your best attacking player.... but..... Moura should have been brought on at half time, as Kane had done very little to that point.
Liverpool did enough to get the win, and deserved the victory, but it was hardly a “spectacle” as a final.
I’m sure that will “bother” my reds supporting pals no end!!!

An atrocious game of football, with two teams afraid to lose.

And it wasn't a penalty!

And it wasn't a penalty!

In the strictest sense of “handball” it was (upon seeing the slomo replay) a penalty ( just ) the players upper arm ( nearer to the shoulder actually) moved to the ball just enough to be interpreted as “controlling the ball” poor defending on his part to have his arms in that position.
But agree that the game itself was pretty woeful....... my brother in law ( a rabid LFC supporter ) was as quiet as a mouse for ninety nine percent of the game. Says it all about the quality of the match for my money. But as I say, if you’re a reds fan.... “ Who cares?!!” I for one don’t blame them, and neither do I begrudge them. It was just an ordinary game, but lots at stake. Klopp is ( at last ) a winner! Good on him!

In the strictest sense of “handball” it was (upon seeing the slomo replay) a penalty ( just ) the players upper arm ( nearer to the shoulder actually) moved to the ball just enough to be interpreted as “controlling the ball” poor defending on his part to have his arms in that position.
But agree that the game itself was pretty woeful....... my brother in law ( a rabid LFC supporter ) was as quiet as a mouse for ninety nine percent of the game. Says it all about the quality of the match for my money. But as I say, if you’re a reds fan.... “ Who cares?!!” I for one don’t blame them, and neither do I begrudge them. It was just an ordinary game, but lots at stake. Klopp is ( at last ) a winner! Good on him!

The handball law is currently very confused. It always used to be the case that the referee had to deem it a deliberate act, now there's the 'unnatural position' of the arm, which muddies the waters considerably. For me, the fact the ball first hit the guy's chest means no penalty, as there's no way he would deliberately chest it onto his arm. However, with the new interpretation of an 'unnatural position', the referee was able to award it. Terrible change in the law for me, and I would have given the benefit of the doubt to the defender. Referees need to be one hundred per cent sure when awarding penalties.

The handball law is currently very confused. It always used to be the case that the referee had to deem it a deliberate act, now there's the 'unnatural position' of the arm, which muddies the waters considerably. For me, the fact the ball first hit the guy's chest means no penalty, as there's no way he would deliberately chest it onto his arm. However, with the new interpretation of an 'unnatural position', the referee was able to award it. Terrible change in the law for me, and I would have given the benefit of the doubt to the defender. Referees need to be one hundred per cent sure when awarding penalties.

Totally agree with all your sentiments there, mate. However, I have to be honest and say, that IF Everton were in that position (getting that penalty in a UCL Final,,,,, yes I know I’m dreaming!) I’d accept it with thanks.

Totally agree with all your sentiments there, mate. However, I have to be honest and say, that IF Everton were in that position (getting that penalty in a UCL Final,,,,, yes I know I’m dreaming!) I’d accept it with thanks.

Everton have very wealthy owners now and a new stadium on the way. There's reason for optimism.

Congrats to Liverpool on their CL win. Thoroughly deserved.

They have been almost impossible to score against this year and this game followed the script. Once they got the early goal they just soaked up the pressure.

This year's version of Liverpool only give you a few half-chances per game at best. And they also have an amazing extra layer of defense in the amazing Van Dijk. Alisson has given them a lot as well.

If you don't take the half chances, you lose, it's pretty simple and nearly everyone did this year. City's win (and their only league loss) came courtesy of Kun and Leroy taking their half chances, otherwise the title would have been Liverpool's as well.

With the way Liverpool are playing under Klopp, with the balance they have now towards being able to defend or attack depending on the situation of the game/the opponent they face, they are a scary prospect for any team in Europe to come up against. Barring a Van Dijk injury, I can't see how they won't be sustaining this form for a long while yet.

Congrats to Liverpool on their CL win. Thoroughly deserved.

They have been almost impossible to score against this year and this game followed the script. Once they got the early goal they just soaked up the pressure.

This year's version of Liverpool only give you a few half-chances per game at best. And they also have an amazing extra layer of defense in the amazing Van Dijk. Alisson has given them a lot as well.

If you don't take the half chances, you lose, it's pretty simple and nearly everyone did this year. City's win (and their only league loss) came courtesy of Kun and Leroy taking their half chances, otherwise the title would have been Liverpool's as well.

With the way Liverpool are playing under Klopp, with the balance they have now towards being able to defend or attack depending on the situation of the game/the opponent they face, they are a scary prospect for any team in Europe to come up against. Barring a Van Dijk injury, I can't see how they won't be sustaining this form for a long while yet.

They’re certainly going to be the team to once again challenge Manchester City’s dominance of the EPL. I look forward to next season’s resumption of this epic rivalry.

They’re certainly going to be the team to once again challenge Manchester City’s dominance of the EPL. I look forward to next season’s resumption of this epic rivalry.

Hey Jiggster, here's a little step by step guide to eliminating that annoying signature thing that makes the ends of your posts all little and grey:

Keep pressing the "back" arrow in the top left until you get to the Big Footy page.

Then press the three horizontal lines symbol that is is in the same position as the aforementioned arrow.

Select "Settings" from the list.

Select "Signature" from the settings list.

Then deselect the signature switch (in the left hand grey position).

You're done! Go back to the Saints board!

Last edited:

And it wasn't a penalty!
That was a penalty! Had his arm stuck out, for no apparent reason, basically blocking space, the ball hit him in the arm pit and rolled down his arm. You’d have been spewing if Manu missed getting that one 😊
Watching the replay, it looks like Mané deliberately flicked the ball at his arm.

That was a penalty! Had his arm stuck out, for no apparent reason, basically blocking space, the ball hit him in the arm pit and rolled down his arm. You’d have been spewing if Manu missed getting that one 😊
Watching the replay, it looks like Mané deliberately flicked the ball at his arm.
I think he was in the middle of pointing to the defenders behind him to get in position. On the replay his hand was extended but also was his finger...looked like that to me on the replay anyway.

I think he was in the middle of pointing to the defenders behind him to get in position. On the replay his hand was extended but also was his finger...looked like that to me on the replay anyway.
That makes sense. I doubt he does that again in future and brings his arm down when he’s finished pointing or maybe just nods in a general direction...
The early goal probably stuffed the game as an exhibition but Liverpool were obliged to shut the game down after that. Spurs are a very good side and quite capable of taking the game if we’d given them a sniff.

Hey Jiggster, here's a little step by step guide to eliminating that annoying signature thing that makes the ends of your posts all little and grey:

Keep pressing the "back" arrow in the top left until you get to the Big Footy page.

Then press the three horizontal lines symbol that is is in the same position as the aforementioned arrow.

Select "Settings" from the list.

Select "Signature" from the settings list.

Then deselect the signature switch (in the left hand grey position).

You're done! Go back to the Saints board!

Is this better, Colleague?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes sense. I doubt he does that again in future and brings his arm down when he’s finished pointing or maybe just nods in a general direction...
The early goal probably stuffed the game as an exhibition but Liverpool were obliged to shut the game down after that. Spurs are a very good side and quite capable of taking the game if we’d given them a sniff.
Spurs had about 80 minutes, and loads of chances to score, they just kept on stuffing up the final kick. Same with Liverpool but of course, we had the security of that pen.

The pressure of the final got to both teams, as well as the heat, as well as the fact these two teams know each other so well. If it had been against Ajax it would have been more entertaining as a match.

But we've played far more entertaining matches and lost, so winners are grinners and next time Spurs will be a little more experienced.

Spurs had about 80 minutes, and loads of chances to score, they just kept on stuffing up the final kick. Same with Liverpool but of course, we had the security of that pen.

The pressure of the final got to both teams, as well as the heat, as well as the fact these two teams know each other so well. If it had been against Ajax it would have been more entertaining as a match.

But we've played far more entertaining matches and lost, so winners are grinners and next time Spurs will be a little more experienced.
According to BBC, it seems Levy is finally opening the wallet.
Long overdue, but if they hope to remain competitive and get that return from the new stadium, gotta happen.
Trouble being: everyone else has more £/€

According to BBC, it seems Levy is finally opening the wallet.
Long overdue, but if they hope to remain competitive and get that return from the new stadium, gotta happen.
Trouble being: everyone else has more £/€
It’s a difficult position for Spurs with the stadium debt. Do you think they will sell off Kane to invest in the squad? It worked out well for Liverpool with Coutinho

It’s a difficult position for Spurs with the stadium debt. Do you think they will sell off Kane to invest in the squad? It worked out well for Liverpool with Coutinho
No idea, but change is coming.
The stadium, now constructed and in use, will provide welcome stability both in a financial and “home ground” advantage sense.
What Spurs have been able to achieve over the last two years without any home ground advantage is remarkable.
So, at a minimum, that will be a plus in 19/20.
And everything else being equal, will put them much closer to the Title.
But irrespective, the squad needs refreshing.
And not at the margin either.

The 2019/2020 fixture has been released tonight.
(BBC website).
As a Spurs supporter I am pleased.
The only away game against the top six post New Year is Chelsea.
Strong possibility that Spurs win every other game in the New Year.
August and September will be a challenge but if Spurs break even then it sets them up nicely. Especially as White Hart Lane will finally offer a home ground advantage that was lacking this year.
(Also got Inter Milan as the first Champions League game)

The 2019/2020 fixture has been released tonight.
(BBC website).
As a Spurs supporter I am pleased.
The only away game against the top six post New Year is Chelsea.
Strong possibility that Spurs win every other game in the New Year.
August and September will be a challenge but if Spurs break even then it sets them up nicely. Especially as White Hart Lane will finally offer a home ground advantage that was lacking this year.
(Also got Inter Milan as the first Champions League game)
Yeah, Liverpool’s looks ok too. Notice the January break this year?

c90c201bc649e5c0e5aa00fa3ccf3f2f.jpg

For any student of the history of football on Merseyside, this volume is absolutely essential! A wonderful read!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back