Review R11 v Saints - 2019

It’s great to see youth shine and getting some wins in 2019.

We were always looking at 8-12 this year, so tracking well based on that.

The frustrating bit is Ken playing guys who simply don’t care which should cost Ken his job. Motlop is an example of that.

Big decisions and question marks over Motlop, Watts and Ken along with a couple of retirees.

Another upshot to 2019 is we benefit from playing a full forward......amazing! Howard is probably the best long term prospect (Dixon is already proven) followed by Frampton.

Marshall is probably a CHF unless there is a pivotal moment like Hawkins had. He will be a great player but more in the mould of Westhoff than a full forward.

It is these learnings and development that are more important in 2019 than beating up on bottom 6 sides (then getting beaten up by top 8 sides).

Do you reckon Ken will let Charlie play 2 Magpies games though? Ken will want him in asap. Hopefully he avoids the Tredrea trap of 2007 when he kicked a bag in the Maggies then returned and took a while to get his form back at AFL level. Charlie will definitely need a couple of games in the reserves to get some touch, and over the mental demons of a big injury.
Our fitness and medical staff should have a big say in his selection availability. We saw how crappy Jonas was after a few weeks out as well as Wines and didn't return thru the sanfl.

We need Dixon in for Geelong.

Him and Howard up forward will keep the Cats defenders honest and not allow them to zone off like they do.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The $64m question is whether Chad can regain his AA form. He had an interrupted pre-season and has been hit by injuries in the season proper. He's only 25 so time's on his side. But one way I look at the trade is that Duursma and Burton will both still be playing for Port years after Chad's retired.
Yeah, like Butcher, Moore and Pittard were playing for us for years after Shaun Burgoyne retired...

i just can’t buy into Farrell being a 100+game player.. for me the only thing he brings is a good set shot.. never been high on him though.. I can see why people rate him but I think there is plenty in the SANFL who deserve a spot more than him.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

If we’re gonna pump 50+ games into a small forward i’d prefer it to be one who has goalsense and a reliable leg.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
If we’re gonna pump 50+ games into a small forward i’d prefer it to be one who has goalsense and a reliable leg.
Yep
it is foot ball after all.
We've loaded up on good kicks and it's starting to show. Houston in the middle is a game changer. So assured. Like a head massage.
cue smut

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am a bit biased, because over the last three years my love for Wingard had waned, so that when we traded him, I was just rapped at the boldness of the club taking the opportunity while it existed. The missed opportunities of trading Lobbe & Hartlett when we should/could have still hurt.

So IMO we are WAAAAY in front on the Wingard for Duursma/Burton trade. I really cant see Wingard ever reaching his all-Australian heights, and IMO we have only scratched the surface of what Burton & Duursma are going to achieve in their career.

Despite this, there was still a deep sadness that I felt when we traded Wingard. He loved Port, and he was Port, and I felt we lost a little part of ourselves when he left. But it was still the right move by the club - for both parties.

I sincerely hope he has a good career at Hawthorn, maybe even returning to us one day.

So why the damn did he leave. He was still contracted & could of stayed but he sooked. I’m sick of this “he loved Port” s**t cause it’s not true so just let it goooo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really liked Houston in the middle and Bonner in the forward half.

I think it's pretty clear now that bringing back both Rocky and Wines will weaken our midfield. Only two of them + SPP should play in the same team, but they're all big names, so no way will Ken make the big call to leave one out each week.

So you want all 3 playing then? 😂

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
We need Dixon in for Geelong.

Him and Howard up forward will keep the Cats defenders honest and not allow them to zone off like they do.
I like the idea but there is no way Dixon will be match fit enough to play the Cats. Given Dixon won't be ready and subject to Sanfl form I'd like to see the same idea but with either Todd or Billy up forward with Dougs.

Is there not only one (little working class) voice on the board?
If you’re referring to Chairman Moi he’s de facto not on the board, he’s above it.

The only other little working class voice on the board would be ... would be ... gimme some time on this ...

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you’re referring to Chairman Moi he’s de facto not on the board, he’s above it.

The only other little working class voice on the board would be ... would be ... gimme some time on this ...

Well, technically and legally...

I take your point about no other working class board members. Darren and Gav would be the closest.

Well, technically and legally...

I take your point about no other working class board members. Darren and Gav would be the closest.
George Fiacchi was ‘working class’ and the sooner he’s appointed back to the board the better.

Ross Haslam is working class, but according to rumour ....

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
i just can’t buy into Farrell being a 100+game player.. for me the only thing he brings is a good set shot.. never been high on him though.. I can see why people rate him but I think there is plenty in the SANFL who deserve a spot more than him.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong.
Toby Thurstans. Drafted in 1998. Made his debut in 2003, played 110 games, kicked 3 goals in a Grand Final. Premiership player and Life Member. He was a good set shot.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s great to see youth shine and getting some wins in 2019.

We were always looking at 8-12 this year, so tracking well based on that.

The frustrating bit is Ken playing guys who simply don’t care which should cost Ken his job. Motlop is an example of that.

Big decisions and question marks over Motlop, Watts and Ken along with a couple of retirees.

Another upshot to 2019 is we benefit from playing a full forward......amazing! Howard is probably the best long term prospect (Dixon is already proven) followed by Frampton.

Marshall is probably a CHF unless there is a pivotal moment like Hawkins had. He will be a great player but more in the mould of Westhoff than a full forward.

It is these learnings and development that are more important in 2019 than beating up on bottom 6 sides (then getting beaten up by top 8 sides).

I notice you've managed to slip in your obsession with Watts. Need to get over it, countless examples of senior players struggling in their first season at a new club.

Toby Thurstans. Drafted in 1998. Made his debut in 2003, played 110 games, kicked 3 goals in a Grand Final. Premiership player and Life Member. He was a good set shot.
Toby was pigeon-holed as a full-back and that held him back. I liked him from day one. His best game was half a game versus Collingwood at Football Park when he played as a tall wingman, but pulled a hamstring in the second quarter.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
You're not kidding! He's played 9 games. Can't believe the little evidence people need to decide if someone will have a career or not.
I've always believed Centre Half Forward is the hardest position on the ground, followed closely by a high half-forward (flank). CHF is the hardest because it's physically taxing in both an aerobic and contested way. Tredrea and Riewoldt are the best I've seen.

Playing on the half-forward flank is just as taxing in an aerobic sense, but equally hard because you can run hard and still find yourself nowhere near the football. I think it's the hardest position on the ground to learn. I'd happily see time put into Farrell because, at the moment, he makes an impact on the scoreboard with minimal possessions, due to his excellent kick (best in the country as a junior, according to Brad Johnson).

As he develops further, both physically and in understanding the game, he has the skill set to be a 20+ possession, 1.5 goals a game forward/wing/outside mid. Play the kid.

Back