Opinion Bagging of players on our list

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no sympathy for anyone on either side of the scale whether it's recreational or performance enhancing. I think both are morons. But I also don't believe their story, I reckon they were taking things and not necessarily just what they got caught with. That's not bagging either, you are allowed to have an opinion on matters and once you get caught you open yourself to other accusations. I believe they did their best to talk their way out of it.

But I believe he's learnt his lesson and is clean now and wouldn't do it again but I don't buy his story hook, line and sinker. And if the drugs authorities believe he's paid the price then so do I.

Fair enough. I have a pretty strong belief that Cathy Freeman was a doper, likely micro-dosing very effectively in the lead up to Olympics. And that belief gets stronger every year that 400 runners get nowhere near her performances in Olympic finals...

But I still love her and would have doped in that situation

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Critique: Thomas was ineffective against Freo. Didn't make it to enough contests and exerted little influence overall.

2. Bagging: Geez Thomas keeps spudding it up, I'm not sure he's fit for a spot in our senior side at the moment. Keeps getting gifted games, he's the new Blair.

3. Hateful: He's a druggie/gambler/poor excuse for a human.

I don't like reading hateful comments from our posters, but I accept that this is how some people feel and they are within their rights to express that judgement within reason and if it is legal. My posts are usually somewhere between the 1st and 2nd spectrum.
I can post all three!
Depends on my mood at the moment.
Mind you, I doubt if I would post “poor excuse for a human being”
Druggie yes, but not that comment.

well there's always examples of 18 year olds that have access to millions of dollars and their only visibility that they might have is posting on instagram of their trip to daddy's island off the coast of italy...

but getting back to reality and the topic, I just dont see the point of someone bagging a kid in their own team...

Not to sure many bag a “kid”.
Happy for you to point me to those posts.
Most criticism gets directed to hardened, experienced players. Or those on big dollars non performing.
Think Mayne in his first year, or Howe this year.

Genuine question.

If some packs a players bag for a game, are they bagging a player? Is it acceptable?

Interesting expression, 'bagging of players'. What does that include/exclude?

For mine if you critique a player's game, lack or poor skills in a particular area, that is not bagging.

How do others see that expression?

Unnecessary criticism based on personal dislike (whipping boys, if you like), not recognising that players are doing their best (i.e. having impossible standards), and also refusal to realise that not all players are equally talented and that it takes all sorts. Oh, and not having the same standards for all players -- it's ok if X player makes a mistake but if Y player does, he needs to be lynched, etc....

I remember, for example, a poster some years ago saying that Marty Clarke should be "hit by a bus". We didn't know at the time that Clarke was suffering from some kind of exhausting disease. I found that pretty crappy.

Fair enough. I have a pretty strong belief that Cathy Freeman was a doper, likely micro-dosing very effectively in the lead up to Olympics. And that belief gets stronger every year that 400 runners get nowhere near her performances in Olympic finals...

Not sure if serious lol.

Fascinating perspective on Cathy; one I had never reflected on.

We're clearly digressing but in my sport (Olympic Weightlifting) I suspect that state of the art drugs, masking agents, and dosing protocols are in widespread use at the elite level. One only needs to look at the progress that Chinese lifters have made in the last 20 years; the Russians and the East Europeans before that.

I still love the skill of the sport and the technique on display when elites compete.

Here is where I relate back on topic. Even when a lifter has a bad day, they are never bagged by the fans.

I dare say most of my posts ARE relevant. Amazing how one's truths differ from person to person.

But thank-you, Markfs

You're welcome. We're entering an era of 360 feedback here. BTW, you correctly pointed out that I incorrectly said that most of your posts were irrelevant. I should have said that I found them irrelevant. Of course, you think that they're relevant. We ALL think our posts are relevant. I thank you for the feedback and I hope you say something negative about me in the future....to provide balance of course..

I suppose this opens up the possibility of me defaming you based on a hunch...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fascinating perspective on Cathy; one I had never reflected on.

We're clearly digressing but in my sport (Olympic Weightlifting) I suspect that state of the art drugs, masking agents, and dosing protocols are in widespread use at the elite level. One only needs to look at the progress that Chinese lifters have made in the last 20 years; the Russians and the East Europeans before that.

I still love the skill of the sport and the technique on display when elites compete.

Here is where I relate back on topic. Even when a lifter has a bad day, they are never bagged by the fans.

The fans know that they cant bag amateurs....

Not sure if serious lol.

Put simply either freeman and Perec are the greatest 400m runners in history by miles or they were the end players in possibly the dirtiest distance in track, men’s or women’s. No one since would have beaten them and their predecessors were all discredited dopers. As it stands of the fastest 100 times over 400 in history, 67 occurred before 2001. Both of Freeman’s Olympic final times would have won every gold since.

Brought up in a different time I was always mindful of my grandmother's words "If you can't say something nice to someone then its best not say anything at all lad"
She ran a delicatessen in Sydney Rd Coburg for 60 years feeding the poor for nothing during the depression and had people continue to come to her shop for decades even after they'd left the left the district. Alongside my grandfather she took me to the football every weekend, knitting and crocheting furiously throughout the matches. Never did I ever hear an angry word escape her lips and win or lose her demeanour never changed. She loved the pies though and encouraged all us kids to do the same.

I've never understood the need to "bag" anyone. No AFL player (ours or theirs) deserve criticism just for the sake of it. Umpires copping it are the same for me. I respect the players and officials for putting on the games for us.

The fans know that they cant bag amateurs....

Fair point, even though I'd argue that most lifters competing in World Champs are not self funded.

When was the last time you heard bagging of a player (or an official) in a more polite sport, like tennis or golf? Certainly isn't a common thing.

Bagging is applicable to codes of football and other more parochial endeavours. I guess it is fuelled by the passion and the emotional charge.

Put simply either freeman and Perec are the greatest 400m runners in history by miles or they were the end players in possibly the dirtiest distance in track, men’s or women’s. No one since would have beaten them and their predecessors were all discredited dopers. As it stands of the fastest 100 times over 400 in history, 67 occurred before 2001. Both of Freeman’s Olympic final times would have won every gold since.

Never doubted her but that does make it seem questionable... but Freeman was always a freak athlete and innocent until proven guilty. I just find it hard to believe Australia's golden girl was a drug cheat...

Imagine what old mate Bruce would do if Cathy was ever a drug taker. Not sure his heart could take it.
Then there’s Raelene Boyle’s crusade.

Be mega huge story that’s for sure.

As much as Bruce gets praise for his Cathy Freeman call of the gold medal, the best line was by Boyle.

Bruce: What a legend, what a champion.
Boyle: What a relief.

That’s pure gold, summed it up so well.

Incidentally Bruce mucked it up, should have said the order differently, what a champion, what a legend.
I’m sure I’ve heard him say he got that bit wrong.

Fair point, even though I'd argue that most lifters competing in World Champs are not self funded.

When was the last time you heard bagging of a player (or an official) in a more polite sport, like tennis or golf? Certainly isn't a common thing.

Bagging is applicable to codes of football and other more parochial endeavours. I guess it is fuelled by the passion and the emotional charge.

You should ask Kyrgios why he doesnt get bagged....or Tomic...

You should ask Kyrgios why he doesnt get bagged....or Tomic...

Well played. They do get criticized but do they get bagged? Do their own fans call them spuds during the game?

Never doubted her but that does make it seem questionable... but Freeman was always a freak athlete and innocent until proven guilty. I just find it hard to believe Australia's golden girl was a drug cheat...

Concentrate on things that are more certain.... like the non-existence of the various gods that people believe in...

Well played. They do get criticized but do they get bagged? Do their own fans call them spuds during the game?

well i suppose you have to ask yourself, what makes a fan? I could be a life-long carlton fan like Alex Waislitz (our VP) and then call myself a collingwood fan and then bag a few players...Is Alex an actual fan of the Pies when he is bagging them? So you have to ask yourself, are Kyrgios fans actual fans of Nick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back