Review Positives and Negatives vs Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with you Darling playing deeper. Not sure how much it was as a result of Waterman playing higher up the ground - something to watch out for in the coming games.

In so far as the slipperiness of ground - I believe the oval was watered prior to the Beagles game and the grass was reported to be quite short. Happy that Venues West are responding to requests to soften up the ground. It will also be an advantage for us with insider knowledge on what sprigs to wear (are they still called sprigs?)
I don't think anyone wears screw ins even in the wet anymore, so not sure it would matter.

Waterman definitely is better suited to that 3rd tall than Allen at the moment. Haven't seen much from Brander in that role yet.

I don't think anyone wears screw ins even in the wet anymore, so not sure it would matter.

Waterman definitely is better suited to that 3rd tall than Allen at the moment. Haven't seen much from Brander in that role yet.

Fairly certain screw ins are now illegal (in the AFL).

I think you are right. Allen is more of a key forward for the future. Waterman on the other hand looks like he will always be a third tall who covers most of the forward line. As well as that, he is quicker than Allen and able to get free a bit better for that role

Whilst it's fresh in my head, someone riddle me this: How the hell did Naughton manage to escape with only a fine for his behind the play strike?

Judged intentional contact, but low impact. Certainly didn't look low impact from the way Schofield reacted. Weren't we told repeatedly that the AFL were clamping down on behind the ball hits and gut punches?

Yet in consecutive years, we have had Nic Nat and Jetta banned for a week each for legally tackling somone that didn't even result in a free kick being awarded at the time.

Amazing that.

Whilst it's fresh in my head, someone riddle me this: How the hell did Naughton manage to escape with only a fine for his behind the play strike?

Judged intentional contact, but low impact. Certainly didn't look low impact from the way Schofield reacted. Weren't we told repeatedly that the AFL were clamping down on behind the ball hits and gut punches?

Yet in consecutive years, we have had Nic Nat and Jetta banned for a week each for legally tackling somone that didn't even result in a free kick being awarded at the time.

Amazing that.
Schoey would have said he faked it. Players code and all that he ain't no melbourne bitch

+ve's
+Darling - 6 goals is great but it wasn't the goals that was the best bit, his work rate and want to impact contests even when he couldn't win them was super impressive. He didn't even look like he has his timing or touch right yet. So watch out when he that's back. I noticed he played more out of the goal square like the start of last season. Hopefully he exceeds the form from last years first 10 rounds!
+Solar Panel Schofield was great tonight. So reliable.
+Seemed to move the ball quicker again

-ve Mirabooka Ice Rink being moved to the middle of optus stadium

That superb mark JD took in the goal square in the 3rd, the one that was taken off him by a free to Ryan, typifies his run. He kicked the ball to JK and then ran full bore to the goal square - about 70 meters and still took the mark. Phenomenonal work rate. 👑

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That superb mark JD took in the goal square in the 3rd, the one that was taken off him by a free to Ryan, typifies his run. He kicked the ball to JK and then ran full bore to the goal square - about 70 meters and still took the mark. Phenomenonal work rate. 👑
Yep really should have had 7.
Also that pack mark he took to end the 1st was brilliant. Came from 3 deep and over Vardy 1 grab. As soon as I saw that I knew he was on. Bank an early grab like that, the confidence ramps up and the man kills it.

Massive +

We started to get a lot more creative with our kicking out of the back line. Started to hit up the corridor from full back/half back, when we would normally have been switching from side to side (teams now playing an extra wing against us to combat this). This is what opened up the game for us. McGovern the chief instaigator of this.

+McGovern starting to clunk marks. Was not in good marking form at the start of the season.
+Chingy was awesome
+Beveridge was class in defeat
+Petch is covering the ground really well
+Rioli is looking better each week. Oozes class.

-First quarter they had a lot of shots
Who the hell is Chingy?

Healy is one of the best when it comes to telling it how it is and looking at the game impartially.

With most commentators, it's quite easy to work out who they played for or who they barracked for. Healy and probably Anthony Hudson are the two best at keeping their personal feelings out of the commentary box.

I like Gerard Whateley for these reasons as well although I know many on here won't agree with that.
Ricciuto is surprisingly impartial too.

Totally understandable but some of Petch's efforts are pretty piss weak currently. Might be fast and coralling but hes not putting on actual tackling pressure.

Runs under the ball when he could mark it. Doesn't like the high ball, even when he's in the clear.

Very soft attempts to tackle, sometimes he even refuses and just let's the ball carrier run past him as he "man's up" someone else.

Would love to get an NRL coach/player in to work on his tackling technique or something in the off-season.

Would love to get an NRL coach/player in to work on his tackling technique or something in the off-season.

Rather he didn't start sticking any digits in dates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back