Autopsy Round 11, 2019: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

So according to the AFL the crowd was down because the buses went to the wrong spot. Fox Footy are saying it was only four or five bus loads that went to the wrong spot. Im guessing they were in coaches so that's around 60 people per coach. That's only 300 people missing.

So according to the AFL the crowd was down because the buses went to the wrong spot. Fox Footy are saying it was only four or five bus loads that went to the wrong spot. Im guessing they were in coaches so that's around 60 people per coach. That's only 300 people missing.
Errrm, that’s double the crowd!

Depends on the type of bus

a107ddc47fadb1bfd370c093607f7b6b.jpg

Forgettable weekend. A debarkle for the Saints but good on the AFL for finding the only uncrowded spot in China. Hopefully the doesn't derail our year like they were suggesting on Footy Classified.

We're desperately missing all of Stuv, Roberton, Carlisle, McCartain basically our whole backbone of a club
Throw Hannaberry into that mix and we would have been a dangerous proposition this year

Our young blokes played their socks off the first few weeks, but they're tired now, need the break

Need the bye to reset and start fresh in the 2nd half

We had 5 less scoring shots but lost by 70. Our quality of entries are horrendous. Our skill level is district level at best. Until we have a decent plan forward of centre we’ll continue to be bottom 4.
A couple of A grade mids would be helpful.
seriously how can you get to the top level, demand $350k a year average wage and not be able to kick the ball?
Richo has to go. He doesn’t have the players

We had 5 less scoring shots but lost by 70. Our quality of entries are horrendous. Our skill level is district level at best. Until we have a decent plan forward of centre we’ll continue to be bottom 4.
A couple of A grade mids would be helpful.
seriously how can you get to the top level, demand $350k a year average wage and not be able to kick the ball?
Richo has to go. He doesn’t have the players
Nor has he got the best out of what he has IMO

I momentarily considered flying across for it, but when I checked the ticketing website all the tickets said it was sold out. I thought that was a bit strange, especially when the game started and the stadium was about 2/3rds empty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I momentarily considered flying across for it, but when I checked the ticketing website all the tickets said it was sold out. I thought that was a bit strange, especially when the game started and the stadium was about 2/3rds empty.
I had a similar experience with tickets and ending up getting a friend of a friend to buy the tickets locally in Shanghai. As you can see from the photo below the stands were nowhere near full, so I don't understand why the tickets were sold out. The other issue is you could not buy a beer in the general admission area (I'm sure copious amounts of beer would have helped numb the pain of watching that effort).
Getting to the ground however on the Shanghai underground train line was really easy and cheap. Most stations have 12+ exits with huge shopping malls and no train timetables are required because the trains run so frequently.

20190602_120232.jpg

The coaches found out today they have to play players who are fit and in touch.
Geary - missed 3 weeks - needed to play 2s to see where he was , and proved he was far from fit ---- Paton
Billings - crook before game / past fit ----- Hunter Clark
Savage - crook before game / past fit ---- Hind
Young - how can you play a guy who only had 3 touches the week before ----- Armitage
Joyce - form was poor at Sandy ---- White
I would've thought a club that played Weller and Newnes injured for a year each would already know that.
Here's a rule of thumb: If Dustin Martin can't play well when injured then it probably can't be done.

How Geary passed a fitness test is absolutely beyond me. Turned his body to avoid contact in his first contest.
Lethlean should be going through the medical/selection process to ensure integrity in the future. Without exception.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nor has he got the best out of what he has IMO
That’s exactly right.. the balance of defence/attack is way out of whack.. we focus so much on defence we end up doing it 60-70% of it because when we get the ball, it’s turned over due to shocking disposal/decision making/goal kicking... I would prefer to play our best football e.g. attacking, with purpose and lose by 20-40 points compared to a scrappy defensive flooding game style when we demonstrated little or no skill and still lose by 10 points..

I would've thought a club that played Weller and Newnes injured for a year each would already know that.
Here's a rule of thumb: If Dustin Martin can't play well when injured then it probably can't be done.

How Geary passed a fitness test is absolutely beyond me. Turned his body to avoid contact in his first contest.
Lethlean should be going through the medical/selection process to ensure integrity in the future. Without exception.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The article I read about Bruce about he went to the hospital the same time as Geary when he had his cork having the same type of injury , however he played the following week and he said after the first 30mins of the game he basically shouldn't of been on the park just condemns this process and as shown on Sunday with Billings and Savage they should not of played.
'I was just freaking out': Second Saint's night of corkie drama

Dinny Navaratnam in Shanghai

Jun 2, 2019 10:15AM

679994-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Josh Bruce catches his breath after a training session in Shanghai. Picture: Michael Willson, AFL Photos

Related

THE STORY of St Kilda skipper Jarryn Geary's compartment syndrome ordeal, which saw him undergo three surgeries in a week in the wake of the round five win against Melbourne, is well known.

What hasn't been revealed is that his teammate Josh Bruce endured an almost identical night after the stirring win.

The 26-year-old explained all ahead of Sunday afternoon's clash with Port Adelaide at Adelaide Arena at Jiangwan Stadium.

BATTLE SCARS Saints skipper reveals lasting reminder of horror corkie

Let's rewind a little bit, to the third term against the Demons. Bruce was taking his turn in the ruck at a centre bounce, relieving Rowan Marshall as he often does, when he copped a knee to his right thigh from either Max Gawn or Braydon Preuss (Bruce doesn't remember which).

There are already two similarities, because Geary's incident also happened in the third quarter, and Bruce's knock was also to his right thigh.

Corkies are a staple of ruck duties, so Bruce wasn't concerned.

Not initially, anyway.

"It got really, really sore at three-quarter time. I tried to play the last quarter out but couldn't really run, so I played about 10 minutes in the last quarter and was pretty useless," Bruce told AFL.com.au.

Bruce contests the ruck against Gawn in the win over Melbourne. Picture: AFL Photos
gawnbruce105MeSK19MD352392958.JPG

The Saints ran away with victory and when Bruce went into the rooms, his thigh had started to blow up.

He was given blood-clotting medication, which might have saved him from more serious damage being done.

Bruce drove back home, as Geary did, but knew he was in strife while sitting on the couch.

"It was really, really, really sore, and it was just getting worse and worse," Bruce said.

The standard treatment for a corkie involves icing the affected area.

"It was not giving me any relief or anything at all and it was just like 'This is so weird'," Bruce said.

The lack of improvement convinced Bruce to call Tim Barbour, one of the club's doctors, and he was instructed to head straight to Epworth Hospital.

He couldn't wrap his head around what was happening on the trip over.

"I was just thinking 'How am I going to hospital with a corkie? I've been playing this game for years and years and years, I've had 100s of corkies and never had one that's been an issue and I'm going to spend a night in hospital – are you kidding me?'. I couldn't believe it," Bruce said.

SICK IN SHANGHAI Saints fly in back-ups after illness hits coach, trio

At this point, he was still unaware of Geary's own troubles. The Saints' other doctor, Ian Stone, had been in Carlton, so he joined Bruce at the Epworth.

While the pair sat in the emergency department's waiting room, Bruce recalled the conversation they had.

Stone: "Oh, Gears is on his way in as well".

Bruce: "What? What do you mean?".

Stone: "Gears has got the same thing, a corked right quad".

Bruce: "No way."

Stone: "Yeah, his sounds really, really bad too".

Bruce: "Geez, what are the odds? Neither of us have had a corkie in our leg this badly and we both get it on the same night".

I had a similar experience with tickets and ending up getting a friend of a friend to buy the tickets locally in Shanghai. As you can see from the photo below the stands were nowhere near full, so I don't understand why the tickets were sold out. The other issue is you could not buy a beer in the general admission area (I'm sure copious amounts of beer would have helped numb the pain of watching that effort).
Getting to the ground however on the Shanghai underground train line was really easy and cheap. Most stations have 12+ exits with huge shopping malls and no train timetables are required because the trains run so frequently.

View attachment 686479

I was sitting in that temporary stand behind the goals and most of it was reserved for the people in the marquee in the centre of the picture and they chose to stay in the shade, eat and drink and watch the big screen rather than sit in the sun. Although a few did smuggle some drinks out, alcohol was not supposed to be removed from the tent. There was another marquee at the other end of the ground which I assume had similar arrangements.

That said, the stadium did look half empty which is something they do need to address. Not sure how they can do that as there is no shade other than a small seating area on one of the wings.

The conditions we fairly bad. Quite hot and humid but not as bad as Shanghai can be. No doubt Billings and Savage were not right to play. JB standing on the goal line for the first bounce was not a good sign. I suspect with Marsh and DMac out we needed to have Savage (and Gears for that matter) play to try to bolster the defence. I wonder if others were ill too but we just didn't have enough bodies to replace them.

Don't lose heart. We will be better for the experience and will learn from the mistakes of this year. No use whinging about it anyway. We're playing in Shanghai the next two years. If you don't want us to sell home games, then turn up to our home games at Marvel. Make it impossible for the club to sell home games because we make so much money even when we play against interstate opposition. I don't wanna hear "I'd go if we played better". Maybe if we had 10,000 extra fans or 5,000 extra fans cheering us on at Marvel maybe we would play better. It's a bit of a chicken/egg situation. What does come first?

I was sitting in that temporary stand behind the goals and most of it was reserved for the people in the marquee in the centre of the picture and they chose to stay in the shade, eat and drink and watch the big screen rather than sit in the sun. Although a few did smuggle some drinks out, alcohol was not supposed to be removed from the tent. There was another marquee at the other end of the ground which I assume had similar arrangements.

That said, the stadium did look half empty which is something they do need to address. Not sure how they can do that as there is no shade other than a small seating area on one of the wings.

The conditions we fairly bad. Quite hot and humid but not as bad as Shanghai can be. No doubt Billings and Savage were not right to play. JB standing on the goal line for the first bounce was not a good sign. I suspect with Marsh and DMac out we needed to have Savage (and Gears for that matter) play to try to bolster the defence. I wonder if others were ill too but we just didn't have enough bodies to replace them.

Don't lose heart. We will be better for the experience and will learn from the mistakes of this year. No use whinging about it anyway. We're playing in Shanghai the next two years. If you don't want us to sell home games, then turn up to our home games at Marvel. Make it impossible for the club to sell home games because we make so much money even when we play against interstate opposition. I don't wanna hear "I'd go if we played better". Maybe if we had 10,000 extra fans or 5,000 extra fans cheering us on at Marvel maybe we would play better. It's a bit of a chicken/egg situation. What does come first?
Thanks for this.

Question for you, would you recommend going next year for others, like me, that are contemplating it? I was really close to pulling the trigger but had a late family commitment that stopped me (obviously I'm glad I didn't now...).

Any tips I should know about? Is it just a matter of booking a ticket to Shanghai and rocking up and getting a ticket at the ground or are there things I should know about in advance?

Would really appreciate a rundown if you have time as it will influence whether or not I go next year (and I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me that would like to know as well).

Thanks for this.

Question for you, would you recommend going next year for others, like me, that are contemplating it? I was really close to pulling the trigger but had a late family commitment that stopped me (obviously I'm glad I didn't now...).

Any tips I should know about? Is it just a matter of booking a ticket to Shanghai and rocking up and getting a ticket at the ground or are there things I should know about in advance?

Would really appreciate a rundown if you have time as it will influence whether or not I go next year (and I'm sure there are others in the same boat as me that would like to know as well).

I am the wrong person to ask. I love Shanghai. I have been there seven times and as a Saints tragic I wasn't going to miss this.

I would recommend it though. One of the richest cities in Asia it is amazing the wealth you see there, then just around the corner you'll see some of the poorest areas. But those areas are disappearing by the month. The cityscape is different each trip. If you go, you will be blown away by how advanced China is technology wise. There's lots of history from when Shanghai was an International settlement with the 1920s and 30s buildings along the Bund contrasting with the ultra-modern skyscrapers across the river in Pudong. The French Concession has trees-lined streets with lots of Art Deco apartment buildings and mansions.

The Metro is extensive (17 lines covering the whole city), cheap, clean and efficient. It took about 20 minutes to get from downtown Shanghai (Nanjing Road East) to the Stadium which was about 10 stops. It cost 4 yuan each way which is less than a A$1. Trains come every two or three minutes. Only problem was my carriage was full of Port supporters and I was the only Sainter! As someone else said there were 12 exits from the stadium station with Exit 12 leading through a shopping centre straight to the West Gate of the stadium.

There are a selection of fantastic restaurants to rival the best restaurants anywhere in the world as well as little corner dumpling shops where the locals go. You really can spend a few dollars of a meal or a few hundred and any price in between.

It would be interesting to hear from other people who went and it was their first time in China as I said, I've been before and I will no doubt go again, probably next May/June if not before.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have, if I can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back